Drunk SWA pilot - Jay Leno

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Q: "...did you guys get enough sleep last night? "

In the waning days of my last airlines existence, when I no longer gave two sh!ts, I RELISHED this question.

A: " No Sir (Ma'am ), Federal Aviation Regulations and my Company's scheduling practices prohibited me from doing that. "

You should see the looks you get.

Many people just stared at me blankly with a stupid grin on their face, unable to comprehend what I had just told them. Some people thought I was joking and walked away. Others would ask "your kidding, right?" and then I would explain what my schedule had been the night before and why it was perfectly "legal".

The folks I took the time to explain it to were in absolute disbelief when I told them the truth of the matter.

Frickin' sheeple. They actually believe in the FAA and the Airlines to do the right thing.

YKMKR

Last edited:
Q: "...did you guys get enough sleep last night? "

In the waning days of my last airlines existence, when I no longer gave two sh!ts, I RELISHED this question.

A: " No Sir (Ma'am ), Federal Aviation Regulations and my Company's scheduling practices prohibited me from doing that. "

You should see the looks you get.

Many people just stared at me blankly with a stupid grin on their face, unable to comprehend what I had just told them. Some people thought I was joking and walked away. Others would ask "your kidding, right?" and then I would explain what my schedule had been the night before and why it was perfectly "legal".

The folks I took the time to explain it to were in absolute disbelief when I told them the truth of the matter.

Frickin' sheeple. They actually believe in the FAA and the Airlines to do the right thing.

YKMKR

Nothing forcing you to keep doing the job. Quit...then you can sleep all you want. This is America...live life on your terms...

As for this thread...I have no sympathy. Don't hang out at the bar/pub/restaurant on your layovers and you will have nothing to worry about.

Southwest's 123 deal is ridiculous in this day and age.

It amazes me after 20 years in this biz and the taboo alcohol has become that it is still a given that everyones going down for a few drinks every friggen single night of the trip. Amazing.

It's no secret the number of closet alcoholics in our biz.

Society's looking for it out of the corner of it's eye, so if you think sitting at the bar 13 hours before the person sitting next to you could see you sitting in the cockpit is ok...you're crazy.

Why put yourself in that situation?

Save it for your days off...and if you can't...might be time to enter your company's spin dry program...

" Nothing forcing you to keep doing the job. Quit.."

My airline quit me ( I was going to retire in 2009-2010 anyway )...and I have been happily retired now for almost a year.

Thanks. But it was fun while it lasted. ( 21 years )

" live life on your terms..."

Oh, anyone who knows me will tell you I did ( and do ) just that.

For example: Did you know that you have a limited amount of paid sick days? I bet you did.

However, most people don't realize that they have an unlimited number of unpaid sick days.

Also, how many of you have ever called in fatigued?

I did it every time it was really necessary to do so. Never abused it, but definitely used it.

Fly it and grieve it? My happy White Ass...

How about don't fly it and then grieve it? How many of you have tried that one? I have. Several times.

My terms?

YBYFL.

YKMKR

Last edited:
I would say that anyone working for a living isn't living life on their own terms.

So until I'm worth 10 million or so, it's a moot point.

Nothing forcing you to keep doing the job. Quit...then you can sleep all you want. This is America...live life on your terms...

As for this thread...I have no sympathy. Don't hang out at the bar/pub/restaurant on your layovers and you will have nothing to worry about.

Southwest's 123 deal is ridiculous in this day and age.

It amazes me after 20 years in this biz and the taboo alcohol has become that it is still a given that everyones going down for a few drinks every friggen single night of the trip. Amazing.

It's no secret the number of closet alcoholics in our biz.

Society's looking for it out of the corner of it's eye, so if you think sitting at the bar 13 hours before the person sitting next to you could see you sitting in the cockpit is ok...you're crazy.

Why put yourself in that situation?

Save it for your days off...and if you can't...might be time to enter your company's spin dry program...

Hey, don't judge us.
We don't judge you just because you are going through life with a stick up your a$$!

Good news is, USAir's fishing and bird-hunting expedition will get the media spotlight away from the drunk SWA pilot.

" I would say that anyone working for a living isn't living life on their own terms."

So,the person who loves horses and has since they were 5 years old, and who has a real passion for all things equine, who then chooses to work on a Ranch, or as a Jockey, or as a Trainer, is not living life on their terms?

What about those Ballerinas, and Actors,... And anybody else who has a passion for something and chooses to work in a field or discipline that they have a real passion for?

Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and Richard Branson all work for a living. To bad those saps can't live life on their own terms, huh?

I think you might want to modify your statement slightly.

Like: " Someone who works in a meaningless job, that they care nothing about, solely in order to feed, clothe, and shelter themselves is not living life on his own terms. "

Or something along those lines. (?)

I worked as an Airline Pilot for 21 years. Because I really wanted too.

Now, not so much...so, I don't.

YKW

Last edited:
Both of you are ******************************-bags. Here's to both of you being falsely accused and publicly humiliated and having to explain yourself to everyone you know for years to come.

Sorry Dude, but if the SWA pilot was falsely accused, then why did he change clothes and call-in sick? Why not just get tested right there? If a pax accuses me or just makes any kind of smart ass remark about me being drunk or that I was seen at the bar, guess what? Flight will be delayed until I get tested...

Gives us all a bad rep...

Latest resources

Back