• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Drunk SWA pilot - Jay Leno

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've worked more than one place where we were trained to deal with exactly this situation.

The training made a point to demand an alcohol test with law enforcement witnesses on the spot, removing any doubt whatsoever and nipping this kind of media circus in the bud. A clean test closes the case. If you leave this situation with anything less than a clean test, you leave doubt.

If the flight is delayed, so be it. I'm sure WN would rather have had a delayed flight instead of this on their hands.

Of course, said training assumed that the crew was not under the influence of alcohol and had nothing to hide.

I can't say I've ever met a pilot who responds to completely baseless allegations that he lacks integrity and has a criminal disregard for the safety of his passengers by running away, changing out of his uniform, and calling in sick.

Last edited:
This guy was DRUNK. Period. End of story. He's lucky he called in BEFORE he was accosted by the local authorities.

I see, so you were there? Thank God for you so we have all the facts and we can oppose the testimony of the Police Officer. Oh, wait a moment, the local authorities would be the Airport Police, right? I take it all back, you are a moron.

I see, so you were there? Thank God for you so we have all the facts and we can oppose the testimony of the Police Officer. Oh, wait a moment, the local authorities would be the Airport Police, right? I take it all back, you are a moron.

Were you? :rolleyes:

I know something you don't. Leave it at that.

Hey... if you call me a moron, can I call you a dolt for NOT knowing?

Both of you are ******************************-bags. Here's to both of you being falsely accused and publicly humiliated and having to explain yourself to everyone you know for years to come.

Don't get yourself in a situation like that or even close to it and a person will not have to worry about explaining it.....period.

It's strange all the things that are "proven" in a newspaper article.

1. An untrained person said he smelled alcohol and the person in question "appeared" to be acting drunk.
2. A trained law enforcement officer stated he found no signs of intoxication and no reason to test for alcohol.

That same "trained law enforcement officer" also stated that the SWA pilot reeked of a stale alcohol odor and that same "trained law enforcement officer" also stated that the SWA pilot who reeked of alchol odor told him that he partied hard last night.

If they didn't test him it was because he showed no symptoms of being under the influence so they didn't require a test.

Latest resources

Back