Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ladies, Ladies!

Now let's just calm down here.

1 or 2 beers on an overnight? Now we're just getting hysterical and talking silly talk.

Wow. I wanna' fly with you cowboys. NOT.

Look, We had a 12 hour rule at XYZ Airlines per the GOM.

If you wanted to have 5-6 (or 10 for that matter ) beers on an 14-18 hour layover, and you stopped drinking 12 hours before your Showtime you would be MORE than fine ( 0.00 BAC ) the next day.

Geez. Let's lighten up Mary and Francis.

:)

YKMKR

I understand what you are saying but it would just look bad, and you may be defending the above, if your sobriety was called into question.

I know it takes a little more coffee to get me going after a night of drinking.

Last edited:
First of all...he didn't run to the bathroom. Second of all, the accuser was making an azz of himself, yelling loudly that the pilot was drunk.

When the Police Officer who wrote the report looked for the accuser to get a statement...he found him....in the airport bar.

And, that Police Officer wrote in his report that the Pilot did not exhibit any signs of intoxication. No tests were administered.

Station Sups agreed with the Police Officer's assessment....that the Pilot didn't exhibit signs.

If he was drunk...then why didn't they administer any tests?

Come on...

I would haul that accuser into court and spank him with a defamation lawsuit that would curl his toes. Hopefully thats the case....

Ladies, Ladies!

Now let's just calm down here.

1 or 2 beers on an overnight? Now we're just getting hysterical and talking silly talk.

Wow. I wanna' fly with you cowboys. NOT.

Look, We had a 12 hour rule at XYZ Airlines per the GOM.

If you wanted to have 3 or 4 (or even 10 for that matter ) beers on an 14-18 hour layover, and you stopped drinking 12 hours before your Showtime you would be MORE than fine ( 0.00 BAC ) the next day.

Geez. Let's lighten up Mary and Francis.

:)

YKMKR

Bingo we have a winner!

Dude, are you serious?

SWA guys are adroit when it comes to stretching the truth. Alcohol gets burned off when used in coooking.

The silliness of some of the responses is appalling. This guy was DRUNK. Period. End of story. He's lucky he called in BEFORE he was accosted by the local authorities.

Thing is, our responsibility goes beyond cutting ourselves (and our cohorts if necessary) off prior to the 8 hours per FAR or 12 hours as many companies use as an internal policy. It also usually includes something along the lines of "experiencing effects of alcohol". A bad hangover included! And if you really tie one on well outside whatever your company policy states, your bod still needs time to process all that hooch. 12 hours is arbitrary in that case. You may very well need 20 before all outward signs (i.e., "bouquet") of your bender have gone by the wayside.

Was this guy guilty? I have no clue. Did he handle it the best way possible? It doesn't appear that way. What would I have done? Fortunately, I've never put myself in or been placed in such a situation, and I honestly can't claim I'd do anything smart or right until I've actually experienced it myself. But if convinced of my innocence, I'd like to think I'd stay put and fight to defend myself. If I weren't so convinced... yikes!

Is it true or false that a "poppy seed bagle" can show up positive for drug use?

I dont know the answer to this, but I know that I wouldnt bet my career on finding out.

Again, all I am saying is he did the right thing to remove himself, and call in sick. Sure he did the wrong thing by showing up drunk......but we dont know if he was or wasnt. I bet those Am West pilots wish they did what this guy did.

Last edited:
It's strange all the things that are "proven" in a newspaper article.

1. An untrained person said he smelled alcohol and the person in question "appeared" to be acting drunk.
2. A trained law enforcement officer stated he found no signs of intoxication and no reason to test for alcohol.
3. A supervisor, presumably with basic training in signs of intoxication, concurred with the officers assessment.
4. The flight departed on-time. This would be nearly impossible if the crewmember waited until he got "busted" at the airport to call in sick.

Latest resources

Back