• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Drunk Captain & Going Below DH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In todays day and age of drunk pilots being the highlight of Jay Leno's or Dave Letterman's monologue, i would advise any pilot not to drink in a hotel bar even if it is outside of the 12 hour limit (most 121 carriers have 12 hour rule). Call me conservative on this issue, but i have seen too many pilots being noticed by a passenger while going through security saying to their friend, "Didnt i see him drinking last night at the Holiday Inn?". That said, ilinipilot gives good answers to the drunk issue. After questioning the pilot that they smell of alcohol (without initially accusing) and you are certain they are drunk, a union rep is another good way to get someone else involved should the pilot still want to fly (if there is a union). It will also keep pilots in general and Airlines out of the press due to the few that cant control their drinking.

Last edited:
RJPilott said:
almost forgot one thing. Most transport category aircraft have disconnecting ailerons and elevators if one or the other control surface becomes frozen. In order to dsconnect those surfaces a certain force needs to be applied. if the Capt is pushing down and you are pulling, there is a good chance you will disconnect the elevator and he will have control of the left elevator (pushing down) and you will have control of the right elevator (pulling up). Thats REAL bad Ju-Ju at 100 AGL. Not my kind of dance. :)
That's why you reach over and pull off his headset first, or better yet, just give the hand signal for a left turn and knock him out.

He's still drunk by the time you shoot an approach?

Must've been one hell of an layover!

Call "Missed Approach" in a loud clear voice, autonomic response for all pilots is to intiate a go-around and you've covered your A$$ legaly.

Jobear

OHOH,
"A drunk Captain raises the mins to 400 and 1/2 so that would be above DA (H). "
What if he/she is high minimums? Do you add the 100&1/2 to the "drunk cpt mins" or what about Cat II? OOOHHH my head hurts from the possibilities.
PBR
P.S. I know high mins cannot go Cat II, but we are talking about drunk capts.

Captain Goes Below Mins

The airline gouge questions I am studying asks this question another way.
"During an approach, the Captain goes below the glideslope, what do you do? He keeps going below".
My response would be to call "below glideslope" with increasing assertiveness and then call for a go-around at some point, but how far would you go?

Thanks in advance,
Orionpilot

If all else fails at the DH and he's still decending... Well just reach over suck the gear up and then watch his/her face.... But if ur going home... grrrrrr "what's the DH again.... never mind.. lights in sight continue.." LOL.....:p :p :D :D

Call "missed approach" on the frequency---that cancels the approach clearance you just received.

If he looks drunk before the flight, tell him he is sick and that you will be too if he doesn't call in sick.

Bye Bye---General Lee:rolleyes:

He's still drunk by the time you shoot an approach?

Must've been one hell of an layover!

Legal to start... Legal to finisshh =)~ hic-up

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back