Drug Spraying S of the border(s)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, here's some math for you.

According to http://www.nyc.gov/html/om/pdf/energy_task_force.pdf, "A Report to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, New York City Energy Policy: An Electricity Resource Roadmap", prepared by the New York City Energy Policy Task Force, January 2004:

In 2003, New York City’s forecasted peak electricity demand was 11,020 megawatts.

That is peak demand, so let's estimate that the city regularly needs 75% of that peak demand, or about 7,500 MW.

Then, according to the navy, at http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/aircraft/air-ea6b.html, some facts about the EA-6B Prowler:

Propulsion: Two Pratt & Whitney J52-P408 engines (10,400 pounds thrust each)
Speed: 500 Kts + (575 mph, 920 kmh)

It isn't that easy to make a direct conversion from thrust to power, but we can come close with some guesses. If we assume that the EA-6B only needs all of its maximum rated power to maintain level flight at maximum speed (more on that later), we convert 20,800 pounds thrust (2 engines) to 92500 newtons, and 575 mph to 257 m/s. Since P=F*V, that gives about 24,000,000 watts, or 24 MW. Even if we assume that the aircraft only needs a quarter of its maximum power to sustain max cruise flight, the entire power generated by both engines will not exceed 100 MW.

Now satpak was actually referring to the radar power, not the engine power, but the power for the radar must come from somewhere on the aircraft. That would be from the generators which are on the engines, and it stands to reason that the generators could not put out more power than the engines can create. And since the engines can only produce about 1% of the power required by the city of New York, the generators aren't going to come close.

In other words, satpak has been sadly misled.

QED

QP

yea, but you're the idiot who spent 12 hours researching it and proving him wrong. you're so cool.

PolarTwins55 said:
yea, but you're the idiot who spent 12 hours researching it and proving him wrong. you're so cool.

I myself am impressed with his ' coolness ', I have no problem with ' myth ' debunking when explained in a clear fashion with supporting links, why perpetuate any false claim ??

BTW in case anyone wants to know I got 8 inches of flacid in my underwear, ladies debunk away LOL.

What kind of pay can a guy earn flying south of the Border? Are there similar operations to take out poppies in central asia?

TIGV said:
BTW in case anyone wants to know I got 8 inches of flacid in my underwear, ladies debunk away LOL.

Because you're past due for a Preparation H treatment?

"Honey, is that a cauliflower in your butt?"

PolarTwins55 said:
well, actually, it only took him 36 minutes from the last post, but I suspect that not all of the 36 minutes was spent on the response, a few minutes of googling, a few minutes of fairly simple arithmetic. And yeah, there are some of us who think that somone who actually does a little research and uses thier brain is much cooler than somone who just repeats myths they've been told.

ERJ145mech,

outstanding ... sick but funny

avbug said:
Now THAT was funny!

The real threat down there isn't rockets, missles, or guns...it's snags. Blackened trees poking above the canopies that one can't see, but that can surely hurt.

Geez you're consistent. Whenever anybody states an opinion or fact, YOU have the REAL REASON,FACT,SITUATION,ETC.

What kind of pay can a guy earn flying south of the Border? Are there similar operations to take out poppies in central asia?

Approx 90,000 to start.

There would have been a lot more work if the Afghanis hadn't pulled the plug on chemical use in their country.

Latest resources

Back