Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ACT700

What's it doing now?
Looks like their still at it, down there.

Thought I'd post this for all you adrenaline junkies looking to go down there to do some "fun" flying.

Be careful!

US anti-drugs plane shot down, pilot killed
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30/09/2005 - 21:31:06[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A United States drug fumigation plane was shot down by rebels in north-eastern Colombia today and its Colombian pilot was killed, police said.

The single-engine T-65 Turbo Thrush plane came under heavy gunfire near the town of El Tarra, 290 miles north-east of Bogota, while it was fumigating coca, the main ingredient in cocaine, said Colonel Henry Gamboa, head of the eradication unit of the Colombian Counter-narcotics Police.

“There were several bullet-holes in the plane,” he said.

The US Embassy said the pilot died while being taken to a hospital. The embassy is investigating the crash.

The plane was owned by the US State Department, said Gregory Lagana, spokesman for Dyncorp, a US company paid by the State Department to fumigate coca crops in Colombia. Lagana declined to say who the pilot worked for.

The US funds the aerial fumigation of coca in Colombia, the world’s main source of cocaine.
Leftist rebels who control a large share of cocaine production in Colombia have shot at the fumigation planes in the past, killing several pilots since 2000, when Washington launched the multi-billion-dollar Plan Colombia, aimed at wiping out drug production in Colombia and at hitting the rebels.

In addition, three US military contractors were kidnapped by the rebel Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, in 2003 when their single-engine plane crash-landed in a rebel stronghold after its engine failed. The FARC is holding the three as prisoners of war.

A fourth American and a Colombian soldier aboard the plane were executed by the rebels at the crash site.

Get your FREE Ringtones, Java Games & Colour Logos from IOL 's NEW My Mobile site

World News | Messageboards | Print Version | Email to friend | Previous Page

© Thomas Crosbie Media, 2005.
[/FONT]

Hank Hill's Dirty Secret:
I met a guy who flies down there and said the drug "farmers" make missiles out of propane tanks. Fun stuff.

Man I hope Pistol Pete is ok. Let's cross our fingers.

I would hate to lose any flightinfo member.

Last edited:
Radar Plane

I saw a GIII or GIV at VNY with some type of radar ass'y. Somebody told me that it was the most powerful airborne radar setup and that it could destroy the opium crops in S. America. Anybody heard anything about that?

TangoIndiaMike said:
I saw a GIII or GIV at VNY with some type of radar ass'y. Somebody told me that it was the most powerful airborne radar setup and that it could destroy the opium crops in S. America. Anybody heard anything about that?

that somebody was blowing smoke up your rear-end

NOW, a EA-6 can has enough wattage to power the entire city of New York, that is a true statement

Now THAT was funny!

The real threat down there isn't rockets, missles, or guns...it's snags. Blackened trees poking above the canopies that one can't see, but that can surely hurt.

satpak77 said:
that somebody was blowing smoke up your rear-end

NOW, a EA-6 can has enough wattage to power the entire city of New York, that is a true statement

Uh, I don't think so. Were that true, then the city could just park an EA-6 on the Intrepid, spool it up and hook up some jumper cables, instead of bothering with all of those pesky power plants.

Quillpig said:
Uh, I don't think so. Were that true, then the city could just park an EA-6 on the Intrepid, spool it up and hook up some jumper cables, instead of bothering with all of those pesky power plants.

uh, actually it is true

Latest resources

Back