• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOT seeks age 60 opinion, young guys speak up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyone please keep up the pressure. Klako is gonna "check out" shortly at this rate.

Klako's concerned because he turns 60 sometime in December. With the glacial speed at which things are moving, his goose is cooked. I'd say that the reality of the situation has finally started to sink in. He's not going to be able to hold on to his precious left seat at Horizon.
The only hope of this passing in this session of Congress is through an omnibus appropriations bill being passed with the text of S 65 remaining intact. It's a very slim shot at best. And quite frankly, an omnibus appropriations bill wouldn't be passed until late Dec, if at all. After which, the FAA has 30 days to enact the change ... and you can anticipate the FAA stating that they'll need more than 30 days to enact it. Undaunted Flyer turns 60 at the end of January, so he's on pins and needles.
It'll be interesting to see whether or not these two remain activists AFTER they turn age 60.

It has been said before...

What say the Pro-65 crowd about the mandatory retirement age of Air Traffic Controllers at age 56?

This is an apples vs. oranges comparison. Perhaps I am mistaken, but controllers do not meet the same recurrent training and checking practical testing standards as pilots. I have no idea what their medical requirements are. They have a government guaranteed pension, which probably makes retirement a bit more attractive.

Find me a contoller that dreamed of doing that job since they were a child. Fl

This is an apples vs. oranges comparison. Perhaps I am mistaken, but controllers do not meet the same recurrent training and checking practical testing standards as pilots. I have no idea what their medical requirements are. They have a government guaranteed pension, which probably makes retirement a bit more attractive.

Its not quite as apples-to-oranges as you might think.

One of our esteemed ATCers could answer you more accurately, but I am 100% sure controllers have recurrent training requirements, require a medical similar to a 2nd class, and can take years to spool up as fully qualified in a new position.

Find me a contoller that dreamed of doing that job since they were a child.

Actually, I know plenty that fit that bill.

It seems as though you are insinuating it is okay for the government to discriminate against controllers at Age 56 (because they have a pension) but STOP THE PRESSES its out of line for them to do so for 121 pilots.

A bit hypocritical, don't you think?

Boiler

Read the post again. I did not say it is okay for controllers to be forced out. I simply speculated as to their motovation as to why they are not fighting to have it overturned. I am certain you know ATCers that love their profession, but I doubt in the same way pilots do. Do you know any contollers that hang around the tower on their days off? I am sure that some go to work at private towers after retirement, but that is the exception rather than the rule. It is not okay for the government to force anyone into retirement if they can safely perform their duties.

I hope like hell age 60 stays around, because I'm planning for my retirement. I'd retire tomorrow if I could!! Hunt, fish, golf, drink beer, play WoW, and do whatever the hell I want, what's so bad about that? I don't want to work on second longer than I have to, and I hope to retire early enough to where I'll have a few good years to enjoy it. I'm in favor of keeping 60.

I hope like hell age 60 stays around, because I'm planning for my retirement. I'd retire tomorrow if I could!! Hunt, fish, golf, drink beer, play WoW, and do whatever the hell I want, what's so bad about that? I don't want to work on second longer than I have to, and I hope to retire early enough to where I'll have a few good years to enjoy it. I'm in favor of keeping 60.

There is nothing stopping you from retiring at age 60 (or sooner) even if the mandatory age is 65.

IHF

Yeah but if your uprgrade is dealyed it will prevent you from finacially being able to retire at 60!

START PUTTING YOUR COMMENTS ON THE FAA PAGE, ALSO AROUND THE 13 OF NOV YALL NEED TO START CALLING ALL OF THE DEM. SENATORS TO GET THIS THING PULLED BY "POINT OF ORDER"

The FAA is providing exemptions up to the age of 61.

In England pilots can now go to age 62, if they move over to the right seat at 60. Why would ICAO recommend that there shouldn't be 2 over age 60 pilots in the same cockpit at the same time? Are they worried about something?

Bye Bye-General Lee

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back