Don't interview at PSA!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Changing Subjects.....

I'm curious about the agreement between ALPA and PSA regarding RJs, how big can PSA's potential RJs get? For instance can they utilize the ERJ-170/CRJ-700? Or is there a cap on a/c size?

Thanks,
B

Re: Changing Subjects.....

Fisch22 said:
I'm curious about the agreement between ALPA and PSA regarding RJs, how big can PSA's potential RJs get? For instance can they utilize the ERJ-170/CRJ-700? Or is there a cap on a/c size?

Thanks,
B

Fisch22,

The following info may or may not be correct. From reading one of the issues of the ALPA mag, the following is what I can gather to be going on. Obviously the communication within the union at PSA is not top notch.

From "my understanding" the number on how many each WO can fly is a little blurred and since they will be merging some of the functions of the WO's come May I belive you will only see one WO in the near future. In the begining of all the mess, only MidAtlantic(which was to be the new WO made up of furloughed U pilots only) would be the only one able to fly anything above 50 seats. Recently the WO's have been asked to negotiate pay rates for aircraft greater than 50 seats which was not part of the original J4J agreement. The catch was that the WO's were told that if we got anything with greater than 50 seats that it would be staffed 100% with furloughed U pilots.

This of course was not part of the original deal and therefore ALPA National is actually backing up the WO's(imagine that) and saying that a J4J deal is in place and can not be altered regardless of the size of aircraft to be flown at a WO.

Now where we stand on this matter to date is beyond me. Maybe someone else can give you better or more correct info.

To Tarheel,

I'm sorry for your experiance here. This place does take a little getting used to, but in the end is not all that bad. I have worked for worse.

Good Luck in the future!

While I may run the risk of beating this to death, I too feel that I must respond to the comments of tarheel87 . I am so confused as to why he would think that he is not to blame for his washing out of PSA training.

I experienced his attitude while in training. I listened to his frequent inappropriate and gender-biased comments. While meant to be funny, all they really did was reveal his true feelings toward women as professionals. Comments like those clearly showed his inability to be effective as a team player and a crew member.

PSA's training, as already stated, is rigrous. Excessively so. But that is the way the game is played. Hundreds upon hundreds of professional aviators have played the PSA game and played it with great success. But it is so much more than "Cooperate - Graduate." The vast majority of what we are required to learn is, yes, applicable. And things (training) that cost the company money are usually done for a reason (safety, efficiency, working knowledge, and regulation to name a few). Yeah, there is some ridiculous, useless information that we have to know. But put most of the blame on the FAA for that, suck it up, and learn it.

Perhaps if tarheel had spent less time on his computer or playing video games in ground school, his knowledge would have been the foundation upon which to build the rest of his hands-on training, rather than something that was crammed for the sake of the oral & written exams and then quickly forgotten.

Was the family vacation in the middle of his first airline training really that worth it? Isn't initial 121 school worthy of more than a mere 8 hours a day of "classroom work?"

To those of you who are disappointed that we would so quickly turn on one of our own, perhaps these facts will show that tarheel never quite became "one of our own." PSA cannot be blamed for his shortcomings and lack of discipline. We have some of the finest full-time instructors of any regional carrier. Help and assistance was always available to anyone that needed it, in any phase of the training.

It is interesting to note that I haven't found anywhere a post from tarheel's training partner, bemoaning her misfortune at washing out.

Boy thats gotta hurt!

From what my instructor told me (whos a B1900 FO now): In order to pull through you have to study study and study - and by humble about your training, otherwise you won't pull through.

I am setting that principle deep inside me for that future job!

This is where he went

FlyLawyer to answer you're question....

He is now the Dir of Training @ Chicago Express/ATA Connection.

I'm not sure if he was fired at PSA and fell into the C8 job, but I do know that C8 was looking for a new Director of training and in a very short time it was filled by this brad guy.

In addition, I came on this post to find out how this guy was? Decent guy.... not so good.... fill us in!! Please only respond if you are a current pilot that has been with PSA for more than a year or so.

(it's not that I don't like hearing from the NH's, but when you just get spit out of the system, you might not have the perspective I'm looking for, and if you washed out, you're going to think he's an a$$ anyway. Sorry.)

Thanks for the info!!

Cheers!

Tarheel is no Chuck Yeager

Tarheel,
Having been in PSA's training department for a couple of years, I have seen just about everything. I recently flew with a first officer that was in your class. He indicated that you were quite lazy about doing things the PSA way. Hint: review the meaning of "verbatim". You were the daily entertainment as they reviewed memory items and limitations. "Condition Lever Back" ins't "Condition Lever Fuel Off". You want a job, study, (not obtain a copy of the systems test for memorization). Learn the material as directed by managment, not in similar fashion, but as directed. Performance in the simulator is not based on if the instructor "likes" you, but actually if you complete the tasks as trained and required.
As for you being an experienced pilot, 20 years of flying and a couple hundred sign offs does not an experienced pilot make. The catch is that you lack the experience to realize that you are still on the bottom of the food chain. There is always someonce that knows more, has flown more sophisticated aircraft, and has experience far beyond our wildest imaginations. Experienced is a relative term. In your mind it is related to the number of students that you've had and signed off. That makes you an experienced general aviation instructor, not an experienced pilot.

Ninjadriver

Tarheel,

I have just one question: Were you the guy that was fired because he bragged about cheating on the tests or the one that told everyone at the sim that he was too good for regional airlines. At any rate, stop your crying and act like a man. Everyone gets their balls smashed every once in a while. Welcome to real aviation.

The varmit

What was the reason for your termination

1 What reason exactly did the director of training give you when you were let go?

2 If they didn't want to furlough you, why did they pass the other two pilots in your class?

3 Why didn't they call you back when they started hiring again last month?

4 How do you know PSA is such a bad place to work?

5 What were your grades? Any 2's? You should put up some more details before you blast an entire company.

They have a tough training course and people fail it, even after passing the oral and everything else.

I thank God I passed but I spent two months neglecting my family and thinking of nothing else than those flows and callouts.

PSA flies the fastest most technologically advanced turbo-prop in the airlines and overall is a great company to work for once you get off reserve)

Latest resources

Back