• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Don't bother getting a B737 type rating - B737 Captains turned away

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I started a count of the number of times they mentioned the phrase "737 type" at that fair.

I stopped counting after 10.

What F-ING bs. Pick the best guys for the job and then if you're going to force them to pay for their own training when you're making millions, make them get it after they get the job.

Quit interviewing guys who were either lucky to have it from their old job or who took out a loan from daddy for it.

Pick the furloughed Midwest pilots, pick the guy who's been busting his arse at the regionals but has a mortgage and 2 kids and no 7 extra grand lying around to blow on just the chance at the most competitive job environment in a long time.

Getting your 737 type demonstrates to SWA that they are your #1 choice. The company wants pilots who WANT to work at SWA due to their unique culture. They do not want pilots who are just looking for a good job.

I know that it is not possible for everyone to get the type rating, due to personal/financial reasons, but the company has historically given preference to those with the type, and whether you like it or not, it is a fact of life.

Now more than ever, in this extremely competitive environment, it is critical to have the type if you want a shot at an interview. No, I do not own stock in Higher Power. Getting the type is no guarantee of getting an interview, or getting a job.

Last edited:
Getting your 737 type demonstrates to SWA that they are your #1 choice. The company wants pilots who WANT to work at SWA due to their unique culture. They do not want pilots who are just looking for a good job.

quote]

Well stated Nav.

It is a gamble...it is what it is. Don't hate the player (WN)...hate the game (this industry).

I started a count of the number of times they mentioned the phrase "737 type" at that fair.

I stopped counting after 10.

What F-ING bs. Pick the best guys for the job and then if you're going to force them to pay for their own training when you're making millions, make them get it after they get the job.

Quit interviewing guys who were either lucky to have it from their old job or who took out a loan from daddy for it.

Pick the furloughed Midwest pilots, pick the guy who's been busting his arse at the regionals but has a mortgage and 2 kids and no 7 extra grand lying around to blow on just the chance at the most competitive job environment in a long time.

Or pick a guy who does not complain about his situation, who feels fortunate to have what he has. Ever hear the story about the guy who complained about not having shoes, till he saw the guy with no legs?

Last edited:
Higher Power Aviation www.jetcrew.com in Dallas for your 737 Type Rating sems to be one of the keys to successfully obtaining an interview. The People Dept people from SWA stop by every Saturday for the weekly ice cream party and meet the HPA trainees.

"We're nuts too" is HPA's business motto.

SWA could care less where you get your type rating...all they care about is that you have one before you start your New Hire class.

I know alot of guys who got types at places other than HPA...and are flying here today.

Isn't Southwest going to stop hiring soon anyway? If/When they do the competetivness of it all will change.
I don't think I've ever heard Southwest tell anyone that they were not competetive unless they didn't have the minimums. Otherwise, they are all fair game.
At a Southwest interview you'll have your guys with boatloads of time and those with the minimums both military and civi.

Have the type, plenty of PIC (well in excess of required), current CRJ CA, really want to be at SWA, But am unable to make the open houses due to work sked..I also keep my app up to date weekly.

Anyone at SWA maybe have the number of the PD? if so, could you maybe PM it to me? Thanks in advance if so, if you can't for various reasons, I understand.

Thanks again.

Peace.

Rekks

i would imagine if you're furloughed or unemployed- expect the question 'have you've applied at southwest before you got laid off- and if not, why not?' You will not get the job if it comes across that the only reason you've applied is b/c you need a job and they're hiring. Every place wants more than that, so think about it and be prepared to answer. It's not a deal-killer, it's in how you answer.

the 73 type req debate has been over-killed. it is what it is. If you want to work at southwest, find out why they require it and get on board w/ the philosophy. B/c if you don't and just resent the training bill, then you are truly throwing your money away.

If they eliminated pilots because they are buttholes they would have eliminated Kernal haters so it must be something else

Latest resources

Back