• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DOJ stipulates Love Field gates auctioned only to LCC's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Until this new agreement, there was plenty of room for anyone who wanted to come and compete with us, and do exactly the same thing we did there. EXACTLY the same thing, if they wanted. The fact is, that nobody wanted to.

Total BS. It doesn't matter much how many gates there are when the DOJ comes right out and stipulates a legacy airline is not welcome at Love. There could be a 100 gates there, the DOJ is still throwing Delta out! Yeah, SWA has had a lot of legal battles. But somehow you've won them all. Can you imagine the DOJ throwing SWA off an airport? Never going to happen.

It's interesting that you keep challenging whether or not I can provide proof of my theory that legacy airlines were thrown off Love Field to protect SWA 40 years ago, when that's exactly what's happening right now!! Today!! How about you speak to that?

Last edited:
Here you go Bubba:

http://airchive.com/blog/2013/10/18/dallas-love-field/

Have a nice evening cherry picking out of context quotes from it, but it's a fairly good account. The paragraph following the Muse Air picture speaks to other carriers desiring to use Love.

It is a decent overview of the WA at Love Field and how it was designed to cripple or limit Southwest Airlines. But it doesn't really support your premise.

Perhaps you should do a little deeper research than just a nostalgic "look back" primarily concerning the WA and its history. It doesn't go into enough detail. The "other airlines" it refers to, fought to use Love field to run their networks, in contravention to WA limitations and/or other limiting factors. Do you really not see the difference? The fact is, that no airline was prohibited from using Love Field in the proscribed manor as Southwest did (i.e. following all the WA limitations). As I said, some did, and couldn't make their business model work there.

Bubba

Bubba: I've got first hand accounts from guys who were there. It's pre internet so there's a problem researching it. (You've obviously sensed that and it's why you're doubling down on me). I'm going to find it. Just like the info I had dispelling the SWA myth that there was zero rational against a second FIS in Houston. I got that, showed everybody, and I pbly should have taken Bake's bet on a boat.

While I'm doing that, you work on explaining how it's in the worlds best interest that Delta (or any other legacy that wants Love Field gates now) can not have them? You realize you're accusing me of being crazy for suggesting something happened 40 years ago, that you claim could not possibly have happened, even though it's happening right as we speak!? That's some grade A corndog kool aid drinking my friend.

Total BS. It doesn't matter much how many gates there are when the DOJ comes right out and stipulates a legacy airline is not welcome at Love. There could be a 100 gates there, the DOJ is still throwing Delta out! Yeah, SWA has had a lot of legal battles. But somehow you've won them all. Can you imagine the DOJ throwing SWA off an airport? Never going to happen.

It's interesting that you keep challenging whether or not I can provide proof of my theory that legacy airlines were thrown off Love Field to protect SWA 40 years ago, when that's exactly what's happening right now!! Today!! How about you speak to that?

I speak to that by pointing out that nobody is being thrown off of Love Field now. American Airlines agreed to give up their gates there (that they weren't even using) as a condition to get the government to approve their merger with USAir. They didn't have to merge. They didn't have to agree to divest those particular things. They didn't have to agree to anything; they had an expedited court date to fight. Or, they could have picked other assets to divest themselves of to satisfy the government.

The actual fact is that American giving up sub-leased gates at Love Field is just like them giving up sub-leased slot pairs at LGA. It's an empty, face-saving gesture. How much of a burden is it for American to "give up" things they weren't even using in the first place? All it does is pads the list of things that they "gave up" so that the government could say that they got more concessions from the mega-merger than they really did.

Well, I suppose you could look at the side that Delta (who owned nothing there) might be forced out. But that's only because Delta didn't own the gates they were using, and its landlord got rid of the asset out from under them. But that's hardly Southwest's doing. They're more than welcome to bargain with the new owner (whoever that may be) to continue to rent those gates. On the other hand, maybe they should have bought them from American before all this went down; then they wouldn't be in this mess.

Bubba

Really????

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Spiri...-Airlines-Bag-fees-rip-off-Nationwide-1088878

That's one of two hundred complaints on just that website.

Here's a link to SWA BBB site, no complaints

http://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-reviews/airlines/southwest-airlines-company-in-dallas-tx-2352

Here's a link to Spirit BBB, 2318 complaints:

http://www.bbb.org/south-east-flori...rlines/spirit-airlines-in-miramar-fl-21000543

Total complaints for Dec 2013, SWA 37, Spirit 58. Let me do the math, 1/10th the size but has almost twice the complaints, so in other words, if you had the same number of SWA jets, your complaint numbers would be closer to 580 a month.

Limbo, all the way to the bank,

All your free bags aren't helping your stock price and won't be helping your negotiations. You are in a no man's land between full service legacies with worldwide reach and ULCCs that can carry your passengers far cheaper than you can. And yes, Spirit is far cheaper than WN in a majority of cases. Bags included!

All your free bags aren't helping your stock price and won't be helping your negotiations. You are in a no man's land between full service legacies with worldwide reach and ULCCs that can carry your passengers far cheaper than you can. And yes, Spirit is far cheaper than WN in a majority of cases. Bags included!

You know our stock price has doubled over the last year right?

I speak to that by pointing out that nobody is being thrown off of Love Field now. American Airlines agreed to give up their gates there (that they weren't even using) as a condition to get the government to approve their merger with USAir. They didn't have to merge. They didn't have to agree to divest those particular things. They didn't have to agree to anything; they had an expedited court date to fight. Or, they could have picked other assets to divest themselves of to satisfy the government.

The actual fact is that American giving up sub-leased gates at Love Field is just like them giving up sub-leased slot pairs at LGA. It's an empty, face-saving gesture. How much of a burden is it for American to "give up" things they weren't even using in the first place? All it does is pads the list of things that they "gave up" so that the government could say that they got more concessions from the mega-merger than they really did.

Well, I suppose you could look at the side that Delta (who owned nothing there) might be forced out. But that's only because Delta didn't own the gates they were using, and its landlord got rid of the asset out from under them. But that's hardly Southwest's doing. They're more than welcome to bargain with the new owner (whoever that may be) to continue to rent those gates. On the other hand, maybe they should have bought them from American before all this went down; then they wouldn't be in this mess.

Bubba

Perfect BS.

Facts are: Delta is there, they want to stay. Gates are being made available and Delta is being EXCLUDED by the govt.

I'm going to excuse myself now. You need to go ahead and start theorizing another BS answer to how the hell you guys end up owning these gates after all this, because that's probably what's going to happen. DOJ knows they've eliminated the airline that will most likely bid as much as you, so once again, the govt has put a nice slow, fat strike over the plate for you. Better also get set to help edit Wikipedia as they write about this so you can make sure SWA maintains the awe shucks schtick. Maybe even write another musical?

Here you go Bubba:

http://airchive.com/blog/2013/10/18/dallas-love-field/

Have a nice evening cherry picking out of context quotes from it, but it's a fairly good account. The paragraph following the Muse Air picture speaks to other carriers desiring to use Love.

You're hilarious Flop! You post an article that you claim supports your harebrained theories when it actually refutes everything you claim as true.

Latest resources

Back