DOJ Approves Midwest/Northwest/TPG Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

So if I went to Midwest soon, would I end up as an NWA pilot (and maybe later a "Delta" one also), or is MWA going to get shut down like NWA is shutting down Big Sky???

cliff
GRB

Yeah, I imagine that could be a possibility except that I believe Midwest is considering a furlough due to block hour reduction as they continue to bleed money. Also, I doubt with Airtran expansion in MKE, you would see a Midwest expansion in MKE (other than Skywest which really doesn't help your trying to get on with Midwest).

Not Necessarily

Ok since you asked, your wrong. Hired just havent started yet, but i do have an opinion none the less.:beer:
No, actually he's right. You aren't hired yet. You have an offer for employment. You aren't hired until you are on the property and have a seniority number. A lot can happen between the "offer" and "hire" date. Your hire date is the day you start work at the company. They could call tomorrow and say...Sorry, but...! However, it is OK to have an opinion.

Yeah, I imagine that could be a possibility except that I believe Midwest is considering a furlough due to block hour reduction as they continue to bleed money. Also, I doubt with Airtran expansion in MKE, you would see a Midwest expansion in MKE (other than Skywest which really doesn't help your trying to get on with Midwest).

The block hour reduction was in January. February saw a block hour INCREASE as I imagine March and going into Summer will also.

I will imagine a small class actually getting under way in March to get some additional people ready for the summer.

I agree with you that if MEH remains stand alone, the expansion will occur in MCI.

Did you say dozing during training? The FE job might be the worst out there, unless you are a newbie to the airline world. Hey, maybe he will like it. I was an FE, and absolutely hated it. Good luck to him though.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I believe you were an FE in the 727. Going up and down numerous times a day as an FE would suck. However, FE on a long-haul 747-200 is a bit different. You get the plane into cruise and the autopilot is flying all the way to Narita. Even the flying pilots are just doing 2 to 3 landings per month---if that...FE is not missing all that much.

I heard that Skyway pilots in the pool were just told that there are no new training dates for 2008. If you are right, CL, that's a good twist of the knife.

The way Midwest has treated the Skyway pilots, my guess is they would run a class in April or May after all of us are already gone and found other work. CL...is it true that a couple people have actually been furloughed? I heard some names floated around the other day but nobody could confirm.

I'm closer to my goal in life.

Me: Positive Rate
General Lee: Gear up.

As your Captain, I will allow you to fly legs that are VFR only and during the day. The above is an example of a ferry flight, and winds are calm.:)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
The way Midwest has treated the Skyway pilots, my guess is they would run a class in April or May after all of us are already gone and found other work.

Wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake...or cookie in this case? And now it looks like TH can hide the results of his poor leadership/management from the public eye. He should excell at his next career of selling bridges and used cars.

In a year or so, the citizens of Milwaukee are going to wake-up and see how much they were hosed. I would love to find the papers outlining all the tax breaks the city, county, and state gave this company.

I still believe that, in the near future, all the other MidEx employees of Concourse D and the outstations are going to report to work to find termination letters from Midwest and with offers to interview at the new ground services company, Skyway.

Midwest/Northwest/TPG Deal Approved

http://www.planebuzz.com/monopolyman.jpg
Midwest Airlines said Wednesday that Justice Department regulators had closed their investigation of the Northwest/TPG acquisition of Midwest. The deal is expected to close today.
Midwest said trading of its shares on AMEX is expected to conclude today as well. Shareholders of record will be notified of the process to surrender their stock for $17 a share in cash.
Winners in this transaction? Institutional shareholders of MEH who got in when the stock was less than a couple of bucks. Not to mention Tim Hoeksema and his management team, who kept their jobs, and who will no doubt walk away from what remains of MEH at some point with nice financial packages.
Oh, and AirTran.

Yes, AirTran is a winner here. No matter what Joe Leonard might think. Or say. The airline is much better off having not gone through with a deal here.
Losers? Employees of Skyways, Midwest's regional airline, and, as time goes by, employees of Midwest, because I think we all know why this deal was done. It was done as a defensive play by Northwest to keep AirTran out of its backyard. What happens from this point with Midwest is not really all that important - except in relation to how it benefits Northwest.
Ticker: (AMEX:MEH), (NYSE:NWA),(Nasdaq:AAI)
Posted by Holly at 5:57 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back