• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Doing my CFI at ATP????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did the CFI program at ATP as well and loved it, had a great time. Get spun up on CFIing before you go. Have all you ground knowledge, maneuvers, objectives, and common errors down. There are a lot of books out there that will guide you on this. Take them and them modify them and make them yours. That way you will just have to practice getting up in front of the class and teaching it. Great program for the student who has prepared. If you go there green and are expecting to have your hand held you will be very disappointed.

iflyabeech said:
This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Mike Simmon in Dallas is a crook. I could go on and on about how they ripped me and the rest of my class off. After completing the "month" long program, they had not even scheduled a checkride for any of us! over 75% of our class failed the checkrides that they took around3 months after starting the "1 month" class! I WORKED FOR and received all three CFI ratings at Airmen's and they were awesome! Avoid American Flyers and ALLATPS at all costs! They are only out for your money!!!
In order to get done in thirty days you do have to know a few things. In my class I took my II checkride on the 28th day and my IA checkride on the 31st day. There were five people in my class and the longest that any of them were there was 33 days to finish.

The only people who do not get done in time are those people that are a "little behind the curve". Sorry beach but its true. If you are well prepared you will finish in 30 days.

everyone has their own experience with this. different people have different experiences at the same school. the bottom line is ...your individual instructor. some great schools have some bad instructors, and some bad schools have some great instructors....

...one of the main things in life that you will learn, as an instructor, is that everyone is different.

What works for me may not work for you. soliciting information about a school is a smart thing to do, to get some information, but keep in mind that it is a personal experience.

Do you ask others about the kind of music they like, then only listen to that kind of music?

siucavflight said:
In order to get done in thirty days you do have to know a few things. In my class I took my II checkride on the 28th day and my IA checkride on the 31st day. There were five people in my class and the longest that any of them were there was 33 days to finish.

The only people who do not get done in time are those people that are a "little behind the curve". Sorry beach but its true. If you are well prepared you will finish in 30 days.
This guy is a dumbass. Noone was "behind the curve" American Flyers was just jacked up and didn't follow through on promises. Noone was even scheduled for a checkride within the month. That was American Flyers fault. You have no idea what you are talking about obviously. The behind the curve comment is just BS!

iflyabeech said:
This guy is a dumbass. Noone was "behind the curve" American Flyers was just jacked up and didn't follow through on promises. Noone was even scheduled for a checkride within the month. That was American Flyers fault. You have no idea what you are talking about obviously. The behind the curve comment is just BS!
I have no idea what I am talking about? I went there, and my entire class got it done as promised. So I am not sure where you went wrong.

the point is, dumbass, is that my entire class and the classes before and afterward were screwed by American Flyers. And as much as you like to say that I went wrong, it was an American Flyers problem, not a me problem. You probobly work for those scoundrels. Loser!

Me a loser??? Because I said that I got through the program in thirty days?? And everyone else in my class did as well. All that I am saying is that maybe you were a bit rusty when you started the class, that could be part of the reason you did not finish. And by the way I did mine in Chicago.

Something here does not add up, you chose to respond to a post that I made in June, I cant figure out why you just decided to quote me a half a year later and call me a loser.

Are you getting cranky flying that caravan with over three thousand hours?

Last edited:
I got my CFI's with ATP with the 2 week course in July down in JAX. I think it was great. You need to study before you get there because it is a lot of work in a short amount of time. I didn't have any trouble with weather but when i got my multi commercial in Atlanta at FTY i flew in all kinds of weather to get the training done so I wouldn't say that they don't fly in IFR weather...i had to fly through IMC to get to places to do maneuvers. Bottom line, for the price and the fact that you have all 3 CFI's in 2 weeks, it is hard to beat. Also, they guy who did our ground school, Walt, was great and I really learned a lot. I don't work for ATP so i'm not trying to sell the program, but I would recommend it to anyone who asked.

Ok, I think the b.s. in this thread can stop ..

AF, All ATPs, etc., have various locations and each has its goods and bads. Just b/c someone went to AF in Santa Monica and had a sh!tty time doesn't mean thats true at AF in Atlanta.

You guys are too funny .. reminds me of that jpeg floating around which says .. "Arguing on the Internet is like being in the Special Olympics .. Even if you win, you're still a retard" [no offense to the rest of you ;]

I did my initial CFI at a school at Martin State Airport in maryland. I then attended the CFII/MEI course at AllATPS in Manassas, Virginia. Prior to attending the CFII/MEI course, I attended the 5 day Commercial Instrument Multi course at the same ATP location. I had a great time doing all three courses, and the instructors where knowledgable, courtious, and accommodating. I can't wait to return to ATP for my ATP rating. That company rocks. I work as a freelance CFI at Martin State so I am not trying to give false testimony.

You can also see my testimony that I wrote describing my experience at ATP Manassas, VA on their website.

Latest resources

Back