Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dueguard1

ROTT MAN 4 LIFE!!!
Considering getting started on all my CFI tickets, and quite interested in doing it at ATP........I Hear it's kind of like drinking from a fire hose , But just wondering if anyone out there has completed their CFI TICKETS THERE AND COULD GIVE ME A LITTLE ADVICE?

Drinking out of a firehose is about right. I took the two week instructor course in April (Atlanta location), and honestly had a lot of fun with it. Spin training was a blast, and the instructor was very professional.

Beware though, you must really know your stuff. Study, study, study, and you will be rewarded. It's a lot to digest in an ultra short amount of time. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me for more info...

I've heard good things about ATP, personally know several senior instructors there (I did my ATP written there, best money I've ever spent!).

Word of advice, no matter how you get your CFI/CFII tickets, wait until you have a few hundred dual given under your belt until you do your MEI. Your personal level of comfort with a student takes on a whole new ballgame when you're chopping engines on them! Get some experience with them and yourself before you hop into a twin in the right seat.

I had about 800 hundred dual given when I started teaching in the twin, and although I only had about 50 multi, I felt comfortable because I knew how students react to many different situations.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I tried to train for my ATP at ALLATPS but the CFI's were tools. They were timid with weather and not intrested in helping me. They kept trying to sell the 15 hour package to me instead of the minimum charge, without even flying with me. I called it quits with these guy because they had a bad attitude. I wouldn't guess the CFI ratings with them would be all that different. I suggest Airman's Flight School in Norman, OK also. Oh yeah also avoid American Flyers at all costs!

Last edited:
ATP's CFI program is great for someone with a lot of flight time under their belt that is very proficient, but if your low time, there are better choices. As a low time pilot, you will be a much better instructor if you study with a seasoned instructor rather than getting your rating from a quick program such as ATP's. Additionally, you will have a hard time as a 300hr instructor finding work, especially if you go to ATP or any other rating mill. I would recommend talking to your local flight school and asking if they would hire you after training with them for your CFI. I went to ATP's CFI program in Vegas, got my endorsements for all the ground school, but at only 15hrs total of multi time, I found I was not ready to fly the maneuvers up to the PTS standards. I decided to terminate my training and go back to my flight school and study with my old instructor. ATP will guide you through what you will need to know to pass the Checkride, they know the examiners and are very specific in regards what that examiner will ask of the applicant. This will make the Checkride easier, but in my opinion, the objective of CFI training should be to make you a good instructor, not just get the rating. Don’t get me wrong, I am not anti ATP, I thought they were great when I wanted my multi engine rating, but I went there with the expectation of getting that rating only to log PIC in multis, and then get real world knowledge with a MEI while logging PIC. Remember you must teach while you fly, and while ATP can get you through the rating, that is all you will get. Bottom line, I feel I am a much better instructor for the experience, and I know for a fact that my flight school would not have hired me had I finished at ATP.

Last edited:
Dont listen to IFLYABEECH, American Flyers CFI program is a top notch program, that is where i Got my CFI and II awesome course. The people who do not like it are the people who do not like to have to work hard to get their ratings.

siucavflight said:
Dont listen to IFLYABEECH, American Flyers CFI program is a top notch program, that is where i Got my CFI and II awesome course. The people who do not like it are the people who do not like to have to work hard to get their ratings.
This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Mike Simmon in Dallas is a crook. I could go on and on about how they ripped me and the rest of my class off. After completing the "month" long program, they had not even scheduled a checkride for any of us! over 75% of our class failed the checkrides that they took around3 months after starting the "1 month" class! I WORKED FOR and received all three CFI ratings at Airmen's and they were awesome! Avoid American Flyers and ALLATPS at all costs! They are only out for your money!!!

Last edited:
I did my CFII and MEI add-on's at ATP in Jacksonville, FL.
Time was a factor / concern for me and it worked out well. They have a few company/school procedures that are not negotiable and that kinda sucked but pretty minor in contrast to what your are there for.

Latest resources

Back