Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does anyone else thing flying is boring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ironic thing is that many of us kind of got into this flying business because it was exciting. I've done some pretty crazy things with airplanes back in the day and when I was young I thrived on it. Used to live on the edge. Glad I survived it all. Now it's long hours of boredom and repetition. Safety this, safety that. But it pays better than being aloft with your "hair on fire".

The ironic thing is that many of us kind of got into this flying business because it was exciting. I've done some pretty crazy things with airplanes back in the day and when I was young I thrived on it. Used to live on the edge. Glad I survived it all. Now it's long hours of boredom and repetition. Safety this, safety that. But it pays better than being aloft with your "hair on fire".

^^^Very well stated.

I think this applies to alot of us who have been in this biz a long time and now sit and twiddle our thumbs for hours thinking about what we will do when we get home...

I still like flying. Not every moment of it but most of it. The boredom thing is no big deal. There's plenty of reading material in the cockpit. (FOM, FM, MEL/CDL, Jepps, of course that's what I meant.)

You guys all missed the point, I don't think flying a fighter jet is any more exciting than an airliner, in fact, I have never cared about military aviation, even as a kid.

Flying anything is basically boring. I am talking about jobs that accomplish something and actually make you think and actually pay good. I am not talking about 200k per year, I am talking about liquid, 500k+

It is funny how so many of you immediately talk about flying "something else" for fun..... typical pilots, always goes back to flying.....

Hate to break it to you, but if you have done it once you have done it 1000 times..

You guys all missed the point, I don't think flying a fighter jet is any more exciting than an airliner, in fact, I have never cared about military aviation, even as a kid.

Flying anything is basically boring. I am talking about jobs that accomplish something and actually make you think and actually pay good. I am not talking about 200k per year, I am talking about liquid, 500k+

It is funny how so many of you immediately talk about flying "something else" for fun..... typical pilots, always goes back to flying.....

Hate to break it to you, but if you have done it once you have done it 1000 times..

I'm starting to feel sorry for you. What point are you trying to make, and why are you attempting to do it on here since you have you moved on ("I did"). Most folks here enjoy the work and are just stirring the pot here and there.. you seem lost and generally angry.

Maybe you could do something really "exciting", like go race motorcycles, or maybe go BASE jumping. Heck, maybe even go jump a shark. That sounds great.

Or maybe you could be a big time bond trader, you know, make millions. Big money. Then get a purple Lambo to impress the ladies.

Good luck.

Think this fits, fly because you like to, if you are in it for anything else, you may be disappointed. Go into On-demand, there is not as much boring there.

In the 60's being a pilot was like almost being an astronaut. Now being a pilot is like almost being a bus driver. Next time your on the crew bus look at his seat. It beats the hell out of ours.

Thread title: Does anyone THING flying is boring.

Wow, 2 pages and nobody said, "I THING so."

Of course it's boring. We stare at the tops of clouds all day whilst baking under large glass windows like a orchid in a green house. Now that we have entered the 80's, the airplane practically flys itself. The think the hardest part of my day is getting the temp right in the back. Un-boring = drama. I've been out of work - That's boring! My friends have "real jobs." BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!

I've done the un-boring kind of flying. That is what has provided me the opportunity to have a career at the boring kind.

Flying 737s is the fun-good boring way to earn money. At least I thing so.

General Lee will tell you that sitting on the jumpseat of a 767 for 10 hours at a time is un-boring. I say, BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Wildthink, I thing I love you!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back