Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does anyone else thing flying is boring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like anything else, it's what you make of it. Some layovers can get boring depending on who you work for and where you stay, but having worked a few non-aviation jobs prior to getting into 121, I can tell you I am way less bored doing what I do now.

As an airline pilot, your job is to embrace boredom. If a flight ever becomes exciting, it is your primary job to quickly and efficiently make it boring again.

You want excitement in the sky? Be an airline pilot, be careful with your $$ and then on days off learn aerobatics. The thing is, that even aerobatics, as fun as they are, come from lots of training and boring planning.

It's not supposed to be "exciting" and let me tell you after being furloughed for a while, sitting behind a desk for 8 hours a day doesn't exactly get the adrenaline flowing either.

Yes, it's boring most of the time going A to B running the same checklists over and over again but it pays well and allows me to afford my own airplane so I can do the type of flying I really enjoy and find "exciting" on my time.

Exactly. That's why they call it "work."

Oh, and Nickelback is gay.

You want a soundtrack for the career? Try Drive By Truckers: "This F'n Job."

Hours upon hours of tedium punctuated by moments of sheer, stark terror.
(source unknown)

Ok, I need to know, who else thinks that being an airline pilot is one of the most boring jobs available.

Sitting in a cockpit, basically a prisoner the entire block time of the flight, sitting bored for hours, then off to a hotel to sit for hours.... "then do it all again" - Nickelback 2010.

Who else thinks that it is brainless work?

Don't like it? Quit. I want my job back.

Last edited:
I embrace the boredom...gives me time to use my brain on other things in my life. Then again, sometimes things do get a bit more involved. Couple of approaches to Cat 1 mins in challenging winds and low vis this week, including one approach to 22R (no app lights) at JFK... Doing the monitored approaches, managing fuel in the holding patterns, and ultimately getting the job done with a minimum of fuss was...well...satisfying. I enjoy this profession and what it offers. I've done the adrenalin rush flying for years...and it rocked. It has it own rewards. So does this profession. Get bored? Try some general aviation or join the ANG...Lord knows I had more than enough exciting moments there to last a lifetime.

Ok, I need to know, who else thinks that being an airline pilot is one of the most boring jobs available.

Sitting in a cockpit, basically a prisoner the entire block time of the flight, sitting bored for hours, then off to a hotel to sit for hours.... "then do it all again" - Nickelback 2010.

Who else thinks that it is brainless work?
No doubt about it.....with every airline on the planet allowing long LOA's, hook up one of your furloughed brothers and get outside for awhile....I did and still am and dont miss flying at all......surely you have a marketable trade or skill.....Move on

No doubt about it.....with every airline on the planet allowing long LOA's, hook up one of your furloughed brothers and get outside for awhile....I did and still am and dont miss flying at all......surely you have a marketable trade or skill.....Move on

I did

Latest resources

Back