• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

do you wear a parachute?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes I did...it's all over the internet right now.

You would wear a parachute in a cessna 152??

The glider is designed for inflight egress, as was the WWII fighter. Not the 152.

C-141/C-5 said:
I was talking about a glider dumby

Avbug said:
Oooh! A professional!

What would you say if you didn't have that college education?

Classic FI exchange!

That's what keeps 'em coming back. All that aviation talk is just a cheap smoke screen!

Last edited:
Gorilla said:
...the aircraft (or glider) must be set up with a door or canopy that has an emergency pin or some other mechanism to completely pop it free and have it sail off into the slipstream.

My only point was that I have often wondered why, in the last 60 years or so, the parachute as a safety component has been ignored by 99% of both manufacturers and participants in GA. It could be the final layer of safety in a deteriorating situation.

I have "bailed out" of a Huey (easy), which was intentional and supposed to be fun. I had one situation in a Grumman Yankee very early in my career where if I had had a chute, I might have used it, and survived without it only because of pure chance. I can think of a number of scenarios where a parachute and even a desperate bail-out attempt would be better than staying with the aircraft.

Rather than automatically sticking with the no chute paradigm that's been with GA for 50 or 60 years, I see no reason not to consider it in some fashion. "But people will do stupid things out of a false sense of security!" Maybe. They do stupid things anyhow, like Kennedy Junior, going places where they shouldn't be.

Everyone should check out the DG web site about safety. Many things to consider when leaving a sailplane. Be especially aware of the dangers of being knocked out with a front hinged canopy and no roeger hook. The NOAH system looks interesting, but remember glide pilots are cheap. We won't even buy an engine.

The successful egress at minden had several factors in his favor. An ASW-27 is a modern ship with a roeger hook (guessing) and also the entire instrument panel leaves with the canopy when it is jettisoned. Also 16K feet of altitude helps a bit also.

Right now in the US we need to be worried what the impact of the Minden midair will have on our sport. That area has been identified as "where it was going to happen" for a long time. I worry about the restrictions that will be placed on soaring. Even a requirement for xponders and encoders will be a heavy burden. Hopefully this will fuel the push to allow gliders not to have to have a xponder on at all times if installed. Maybe over 10k or something. This will be a major crossroads for the life of the sport if the politicians go crazy with it.

Joe

I'm not a glider pilot, but that mid air sure scared me as I fly in that area. Now I have worry about see and avoid of non-transpoder equiped airplanes when I'm flying around at 370 kias! Geez.

ultrarunner said:
I'm not a glider pilot, but that mid air sure scared me as I fly in that area. Now I have worry about see and avoid of non-transpoder equiped airplanes when I'm flying around at 370 kias! Geez.

I think it is more like now you are aware that you should have been worrying about it in that area all along.

Joe

Latest resources

Back