• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do you know how much your pilot makes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just sounded like you were the pissed off one that couldn't catch a wave, and then call the rest of us dangerous for doing so.

I wouldn't call catching a wave and ending up at GJ a good thing my friend. How much did your pilot mill rape you 100K. Good thing GJ is stable your guna be paying off your loans for awhile working there buddy lord knows you got a battle axe in your head when you go to interview at another airline.

America is in serious trouble. Everyone here wants something for nothing and when they don't get their hero pilot, surgeon, teacher, etc. they sue. And even if they do get him or her there's bound to be some problem that warrants a lawsuit.

We're FUBAR, and it's all thanks to the liberals. Mark my words, this is the beginning of the end.

Yeah, the liberals were in charge for the last administration and are at fault for everything.......

You're just like your right wing colleagues in congress. They get you pissed off by telling you who to point the finger at and who to blame.....

One step forward two steps back

Amid Pilot Accolades - Do You Know How Much Your Pilot Makes?

Monday, February 09, 2009
ImageProxy.ashx

LEARN MORE

ABC's Good Morning America had a tearful reunion between Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III and his crew and many of the passengers who survived the "Miracle on the Hudson".
"I thought I was going to lose my wife and never get to see my children. I thank you, all of you, from the bottom of my heart," a choked-up Larry Snodgrass told the captain.
Many of the passengers said they thought they were going to die on Flight 1549 and texted their loved ones as the plane descended toward the Hudson River, January 15th.
Unbelieveably, the picture perfect landing, along with careful instructions from flight attendants, allowed about 155 people to scramble aboard waiting ferries and out of the frigid waters.
With talk about capping the salaries of corporate CEOs at $500,000 among those in line for a federal bailout NPR recently asked who is undercompensated (teachers) and who is overcompensated (athletes), and whether airline pilots such as Sullenberger are compensated enough?

US Airways
Captain "Sully" Sullenberger, 58, a former Air Force pilot has flown for US Airways for 29 years. First Officer Jeff Skiles, 49, is a 23-year veteran, reports The Charlotte Observer.
US Airways has twice sought bankruptcy protection, first in 2002 and again in 2004, after which it merged with America West. Pilots agreed to an 18 percent cut in pay and retirement benefits.
It was reportedly the third round of cuts in two years and for some pilots, it delayed their retirement.
The move was said to have saved the airline from shutting down, but it also increased the average age of pilots at US Airways, which is now reported to be 56.
The merger resulted in US Airways pilots making less than their peers at other major airlines, despite their years of experience.

Other Airlines
According to the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), which represents 64,000 airline pilots, salaries went down drastically after 9/11 and among all major carriers, with the exception of Southwest and America West Airlines, rates of pay for narrowbody captains declined six to 42 percent.
About 2,000 pilots retired in 2008, according to Air Inc, which follows pilot pay and hiring trends. 500 alone left American Airlines, most departing before they turned 60, largely due to the stock market's collapse, according to The Chicago Tribune.
Airline Pilot Central is a Web site, launched by pilots for pilots, which allows you to look up the hourly wage of pilots of regional and smaller airlines of your choice.
A First Officer of that small regional jet you take can make as little as $22 an hour.
The major or "Legacy" airlines also list the Captain and First Officer salaries of major carriers such as American, Delta, Northwest, United, Continental, US Airways, Southwest, and Alaska.
According to a snapshot report from the summer of 2008 from Airline Pilot Central, pilots for FedEx and UPS make the highest hourly wage at $215 and $205.
At the high end of the commercial captain's hourly wage for a wide body jet captain is - American Airlines at $197, Continental $186; Delta $184 and Northwest $173.
On the lower end of the pay scare are pilots for US Airways clock in at $156.
Pilots fly about 75 hours a month with variations per airline.
Small narrow body jets captain salaries range from $62 to $100 an hour on American Eagle, Comair; Mesa, Us Airways and PSA. A small regional commuter airline can start pilots at $15,000 to $22,000 a year.
One pilot for a regional airline tells airliners.net:
"I personally make $18-20,000 a year. I'm responsible for a 25,000,000 dollar airplane and fly hundreds of people safely to their destination every day. Is that really overpaid? Most major airline pilots make around 100,000. The average in the regionals is closer to 50,000. (FO's around the mid to upper 20's-, captains in the 50's-60's). When I was a flight instructor (for 2 years), I made 12,000 a year."
Many fear with the airline industry's bottom line mentality that airline pilots who are outstanding "old school" professionals such as Captain Sullenberger may be a thing of the past.

Well, after the Hudson 'success story' we pilots were... after a long time... looking good to the 'jury of public opinion' and poised to use that as a spring board to start making a case for ourselves and start 'taking some things back'.

That was short lived. After the BUF accident...not so much poised anymore, especially when they start examining the experience level of the Colgan crew.

One step forward two steps back.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a._IOcvf7_j4&refer=us

I dunno about the BUf thing. I hope the pilots end looking like they did try to save themselves. If they tried to get the gear and flaps back up, they were trying CORRECTLY to undo what they did. I hope those dolts don't go releasing the CVR though. If I wind up a smoking hole, I don't want John Q Public to hear the last minutes of my life.

I wouldn't call catching a wave and ending up at GJ a good thing my friend. How much did your pilot mill rape you 100K. Good thing GJ is stable your guna be paying off your loans for awhile working there buddy lord knows you got a battle axe in your head when you go to interview at another airline.

But at least he will attend an interview with a well punctuated resume with no grammatical errors. Which is more than some on this thread may have. In regard to a "pilot mill", experience post graduation is more important, in my book. I knew a lot of people that went to a so called "pilot mill" and ended up flying beat up airplanes that resembled winged death. Comair, Purdu, Riddle- it doesn't matter where you got your training. What matters is what you bring to the table, post training. I'll take a "pilot miller" with a great attitude and standardized mentality over a clown from Joe's FBO that thinks he's got a leg up on everyone any day of the week. It's simple really- poor attitude= poor pilot.

In 2005 I almost cleared $30K as a Captain on a real regional airplane-a J-32.

Alas, I left for greener pastures and did not (like so many of my friends) ride that particular outhouse into cessation of operations...

I pray God that no one is doing what I had to do any more.

Latest resources

Back