Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do any Regionals let you work a 2nd job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

Can you part time CFI while working for any of the regional airlines? I'm talking just flight with a old student for a BFR every now and then.

Don't ask, don't tell. If you're not logging the time, it won't matter.

Yes you can flight instruct. What you can't do is operate using your commercial privleges to fly 121 or even 135 while working for a 121 carrier. I don't know any airlines that give the ok to fly commercial on the side.

JumpCaptain said:
Don't ask, don't tell. If you're not logging the time, it won't matter.

He's right though. Don't ask don't tell. If you are working on the side just don't go and annouce it so that it eventually will get back to the chief pilot. Keep it on the low down....no doubt. Yea...and don't log it either.

SEVEN said:
Yes you can flight instruct. What you can't do is operate using your commercial privleges to fly 121 or even 135 while working for a 121 carrier. I don't know any airlines that give the ok to fly commercial on the side.

You are exercising your commercial privilages when you flight instruct and the airlines will not allow you to flight instruct as the time is counted towards your limit of 1000 flight hours per year. If you don't get paid and/or don't log the time, that's a different story. There's no problem with part 91 flying.

Not many regionals will give you much time to flight instruct anyway, especially if you commute.

Back when I was at a "commuter" (which is what it was called back in the early 90's--IFLY4FOOD) I had a second job, as a Chippendale. I was called "Elephant Tri-pod." The old ladies loved me. I often was tipped 50 cents at a time!!! Although, I didn't like where they placed the quarters......It was NOT a slot machine!

Bye Bye--General Lee

cougar6903 said:
Can you part time CFI while working for any of the regional airlines? I'm talking just flight with a old student for a BFR every now and then.

I think the correct way to ask this question might be: "Can you fly for a regional as a side job as a way of getting a few hundred dollars extra a month." Chances are, you'll be making more as a CFI.

Have an accident, incident, or go under a FAA investigation while you are working "on the side" and you'll be up the ol' creek. Better just to get a side job at Best Buy.

SEVEN said:

Fedex.

Latest resources

Back