Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do any Regionals let you work a 2nd job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WMUSIGPI said:
So NW pilots aren't professional?
Based on that T.A. they need a second...heck maybe even a third job.
Want and need are two different things.

I drive a lowly Caravan for a living and I don't need a second job. I'm sure If wanted to live in the same MSP neighborhood as those guys, I'd probrobably want to pay my bills with a second job I don't need.

Commutair allowed flight instruction/other commercial flying on the side with prior permission and a close watch on exceeding any duty limits. That may have changed, but I think that is still policy.

yasir1212 said:
You are exercising your commercial privilages when you flight instruct

I've heard this one argued both ways. Getting paid to flight instruct is excersizing the privledges of your flight instructor certificate. If you were excersizing your commercial ticket you would need a 2nd class medical to instruct, which is not the case. You dont even need a medical -if you dont need to act as PIC- to instruct and get paid for it.

I´d get in touch with YOUR local FSDO, because even this issue is viewed differently from FSDO to FSDO- I researched this last year, and I called up the Cininasty FSDO, and they said that flight instruction DOES NOT constitute commercial flying, and then I called my FSDO back in Chicago, and they said that it does. I think the Atlanta FSDO had the same opinion as the Cinci FSDO, however.

But it basically boiled down to the above post- although you need a Commercial certificate to hold a CFI, you´re not excercising the right of a commercial pilot while you´re CFI´ing.

But it basically boiled down to the above post- although you need a Commercial certificate to hold a CFI, you´re not excercising the right of a commercial pilot while you´re CFI´ing.

Really? Only if you are not doing it for money. Why would anyone want to do stalls around a point for free?

Otherise, why would you even need a commercial ticket to flight instruct? I guess that is an issue for another board.

Why would you want to instruct on your days off? If you just need the cash (and you will if you're working at a regional), you'd be far better off just getting a job tending bar somewhere.

-Blucher;)

wings421 said:
Have an accident, incident, or go under a FAA investigation while you are working "on the side" and you'll be up the ol' creek. Better just to get a side job at Best Buy.

Yep. You as a CFI still document your name and number when you sign people off don't you? If you screw the pooch you are really up sh#t creek if you don't report it.

Jetpipeovht said:
Yep. You as a CFI still document your name and number when you sign people off don't you? If you screw the pooch you are really up sh#t creek if you don't report it.

That is a good point. I know of at least one airline pilot who had to stop flying (at least temporarily) because he clipped a TFR while flying GA on his day off.

Latest resources

Back