Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do any Regionals let you work a 2nd job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cougar6903 said:
Can you part time CFI while working for any of the regional airlines? I'm talking just flight with a old student for a BFR every now and then.

If your talking about a few hours here and there then i wouldn't worry or say anything about it. have fun. What they don't know won't hurt them, maybe you but not them.

cougar6903 said:

I know a FedEx captain that is a D.E. He did my ATP and yes, he got paid. Tht's different than going out and flying charter or something. If you are logging 80+ hours a month with a regional, why would you want to fly on you off day and not be able to (legally) log it and not get paid for it?

Just stay t home and do laundry and give the wife a little "pickle tickle"

The "regional" I fly for says "flight instruction is not considered commercial flying". I can instruct all day long on my days off and none of the time counts towards my 1000.

I'd check with your friendly neighborhood FSDO since they will be the one violating you (and sending you a letter of investigation too) if you get in trouble somehow. I know that my airline considers instructing to be commercial flying.

I wouldn't try to do it on the sly, because even if you don't log the time in your log book, there will be a paper trail. Your name will be in your student's logbook, his checkride application, and all kinds of FBO paperwork.

cougar6903 said:
Can you part time CFI while working for any of the regional airlines? I'm talking just flight with a old student for a BFR every now and then.
Most companies' FOM's state that you can "with special permission," from the CP. However, I would be inclined to tell anyone about it, unless its part 135 and might conflict with 30 in seven. The only reason you might want to mention it is if there is some sort of incident. Just my .02 worth!

FN FAL said:
Professional Pilots don't need a second job.

So NW pilots aren't professional?
Based on that T.A. they need a second...heck maybe even a third job.

Where I'm at, you ARE allowed to flight instruct all you want. Just can't work any other 121 or 135 gigs. You can log it, get paid for it, blah blah blah... No special permission from the CP is required. But someone else already said it... If you're flying 80 hours a month, I really won't want to see another airplane on my day off... Especially if I'm working when I'm in it... Personal preference though...

yasir1212 said:
You are exercising your commercial privilages when you flight instruct and the airlines will not allow you to flight instruct as the time is counted towards your limit of 1000 flight hours per year. If you don't get paid and/or don't log the time, that's a different story. There's no problem with part 91 flying.

Give me a break, the faa doesn't care if you are flying instructing and flying for a regional, who cares if your company doesn't allow it, just don't tell anyone. I just wouldn't put it in the logbook. Its more important that you pay the bills than what your companie's rules are about flight instructing. I think some of you guys are a little to worried about the FAA.

Latest resources

Back