• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

AP
Ahead of the Bell: Delta-NWA pilot seniority
Thursday October 2, 6:04 am ET Arbitration hearings begin over how to integrate Delta-NWA pilot seniority lists
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A three-member arbitration panel was to begin closed-door hearings to determine how to integrate the pilot seniority lists at Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines Corp. after the two carriers combine.

Thursday's session was being held at a hotel near Los Angeles. It was to last until Sunday. The hearings were to continue Oct. 20-24 in Washington and then return to Los Angeles from Nov. 15-17.
Union officials said the hearings would be closed to the news media.

The two sides have been in a stalemate over how to integrate their seniority lists, though they have approved a joint collective bargaining agreement covering roughly 12,000 pilots.
Pilots value their seniority because it determines their schedule, the aircraft they fly and layoff protection.

The panel -- California labor attorney Fredric Horowitz, attorney Dana Eischen and veteran arbitrator Richard Bloch -- was being called on to resolve the seniority issue.

A written decision, which would be binding, is due by Nov. 20.

Horowitz and Bloch also served on an arbitration panel selected in 2006 to determine whether Delta, which was under bankruptcy protection at the time, could void its pilots' contract and impose pay and benefit cuts unilaterally. Delta's pilots union, which had threatened to strike, eventually agreed to concessions, and that panel never issued a ruling.

Those hearings, unlike the ones that begin Thursday, were open to the media. Atlanta-based Delta's stock-swap deal to acquire Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest, announced April 14, was given the go-ahead by shareholders of both companies on Sept. 25. It is still subject to regulatory approval. Delta is hoping to close the deal by the end of the year

Bye Bye--General Lee

Standing by to watch the train wreck!

AA767AV8TOR

I think they got that wrong, I think it will be done now on Nov 21st, rather than the 20th. Also, unlike USAir, we have a joint contract now prior to the arbitration, and yes, I think some people will be unhappy, except the number 1 seniority pilot. I don't expect DOH or any major changes, though---I think it will be a combo of relative seniority and relative position. We shall see.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Great. Richard (Dick) "Cock" Bloch. The same guy who ensured my 4 1/2 year vacation from DAL would stick.

Standing by for a butt reaming, arbitration-style.

I think they got that wrong, I think it will be done now on Nov 21st, rather than the 20th. Also, unlike USAir, we have a joint contract now prior to the arbitration, and yes, I think some people will be unhappy, except the number 1 seniority pilot. I don't expect DOH or any major changes, though---I think it will be a combo of relative seniority and relative position. We shall see.

You guys keep assuming it's going to be a "one size fits all" deal.

Nu

At least ya'll will have THREE arbitrators to whine about instead of only one.

You guys keep assuming it's going to be a "one size fits all" deal.

Nu

You guys think a "dynaminc list" will stick. No way. You have retirements coming up, and we do 5 years after that. It will all work out eventually.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Bloch? You are so screwed.

He was our first choice, and we have dealt with him before. Dalpa got to choose 2 out of the 3 arbitrators. We'll see....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back