• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dl/nw Dc-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would rather be a first officer on the 9 than a captain at Compass flying a 175. If you're flying a 9, you're in the game.
Yeah man, you are in the game, hell yeah!!! in the game, not out of the game, in the game, woohoo!!!!!
Go team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, if they start hiring this year. I think its a long shot considering the worst economy we've seen and its getting worse. But, if they do, lets pretend Delta turned me down and told me I could never interview there again (former employee there too). Got on with another major, now furloughed from, and turned down an interview with NWA while in training with the shi**y airline that furloughed me. Chances on getting an interview with the new Delta?

So, if they start hiring this year. I think its a long shot considering the worst economy we've seen and its getting worse. But, if they do, lets pretend Delta turned me down and told me I could never interview there again (former employee there too). Got on with another major, now furloughed from, and turned down an interview with NWA while in training with the shi**y airline that furloughed me. Chances on getting an interview with the new Delta?

Tough one. Apply, you never know. That said, I do think that when/if Delta starts hiring again that it will be extremely competitive.

The way I understand it, if you fail the cognitive skills test, you may interview again. If you don't make it through the interview with the retired pilot, current pilot and human resources guy, you can't interview again.

Don't know if that has changed. Maybe someone else has more knowledge or insight.

Just the facts.

Heyas,

I think expecting any kind of hiring this year is overly optimistic.

Nu

Agree. Almost zero retirements on the Delta side coupled with the fact that many positions are overstaffed. Oh yeah...the economy. Delta has a several contractual agreements that would a make furloughs costly and uneasy but it indeed would be optimistic to plan on hiring at DL for the next few years.

Too bad most of the DC9s don't go straight West from MSP. You used to hit a lot of Montana, etc, but Compass E175s now do it along with A319s. If West you mean Fargo and Grand Forks, then yes, yes you do. I see a lot of the DC9s doing ATL to MOB, PNS, type stuff in the near future though. I will not be bidding it, though, and it looks like my 73N Captain seat will be postponed as well thanks to this last bid. Oh well.

Bye Bye--General Lee

A 12/99 hire date gets you 73N A? I haven't looked at the list in awhile.

A 12/99 hire date gets you 73N A? I haven't looked at the list in awhile.

Is that when you were hired? It may be a while for you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I think some people here are confusing airmanship (judgement) with eye-hand coordination (physical skill). Increasing automation on aircraft is not a plot by engineers to "take away the pilot's job". Rather, it is a very rational and effective way of allowing pilots to focus on the the "big picture"...thus increasing their ability to exersise good airmanship, and thereby, increase safety, which is the bottom line. For those of you who insist on the superiority or efficacy of hand flying...you have effectively turned yourselves into "autopilots with pride" -using a good portion of your mental energy and awareness merely wrestling your aircraft around the sky, rather than freeing up that mental energy and awareness to be in more complete command of the whole situation.
The finely-tuned hand flying skills are a byproduct of the pilots having total situational awareness. It's when pilots aren't on the ball, that they begin "wrestling" the aircraft through the skies. The SA Skills required to fly a non-automated aircraft such as the DC-9 are MUCH greater than those required to fly any of today's Electric Jets. SA = Safety

The finely-tuned hand flying skills are a byproduct of the pilots having total situational awareness.
I disagree. Finely tuned hand flying skills are a byproduct of practicing finely tuned hand flying skills. It indicates a practiced skill at hand maneuvering an aircraft, and implies nothing indicating a superior awareness of communications or of events taking place outside your aircraft. In fact, if hand-flying precision is proportional to mental concentration on such precision, it implies an inferior awareness of communications or of events outside your aircraft.
It's when pilots aren't on the ball, that they begin "wrestling" the aircraft through the skies.
True, and self-evident...I don't know about "on the ball", but if the pilot is not practiced at hand flying skills the pilot doesn't hand fly as proficiently as the pilot would if the pilot was practiced at hand flying skills.
The SA Skills required to fly a non-automated aircraft such as the DC-9 are MUCH greater than those required to fly any of today's Electric Jets.
..No doubt about it! And that is exactly the point... your SA "capacity" is more taxed with less automation, that is why automation has been put on airplanes!-to reduce your SA demands and thereby increase your SA capacity. SA = Safety
I agree SA equals safety, but there is a fine line between maintaining SA and hand flying in a particularly busy environment, such as approach, say, from top of descent to est. on final. Is there any doubt that the automated feature of altitude capture, for example, results in a safer operation than if there was no such automated feature, but only hand flying?..no, there is no doubt. Is there any doubt that today's aviation environment is safer and more efficient than in the past, when everything was done by "hand"? Safety is a philosophical idea, and to acquire objectivity, it is not beholden to human bias....As pilots, haven't we proved long ago that we can "fly" an airplane? But that isn't the point, right?

Latest resources

Back