• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DL & AS announcement on Monday in SEA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure it's a win when you are the carrier growing. Our block hours are down year after year after year. Some of that is Europe but a lot of it is code share. the only thing saving us block hour wise is parking RJs.

We have no growth airplanes ordered until those wayyyyyyyy off into the future 787s in 2020. My rant is not directed at you personally, we bought off on this back door deal.....I just wish my fellow pilots would see the light of where this is going.

Aeromexico...DL investment.....new jets
air France....sky team....new jets
Alaska.....big code share....new jets
Gol.....DL investment.....new jets and just bought another airline.
Aeroflot.....sky team.....new jets

DELTA.....big fat zero growth....contraction is the word.

Everybody is forgetting Delta's plan. It's been mentioned in Quarterly earning reports in the past. I even read an article in the paper a few weeks ago about Delta not ordering planes.
Our plan as announced before is to pay down debt to 10 billion, then order aircraft. If we do that we'll save 500,000,000 a year in interest. Compound that savings alone and in 10 years you pay down another 5 billion, just from interest savings alone.
That's the plan, and why you are not seeing any orders. We have a store credit and a pretty good rapport with Boeing. Airframes are always available no matter how many others buy first. After Boeing screwed up NWA 787's delivery dates, trust me, we have no problem getting planes when we need them, not to mention a nice store credit to boot.

Last edited:
What it's REALLY about is being happy and flying with people you like to be with, and if getting to fly international means I have to sit with you for 14 hours, then I'll pass.

I guess it also means what "choice" you are going to cherry pick to bash one airline so that you can lift yourself up and make yourself feel better. Yes, you can go to Europe and South America and Africa if you want, but if you feel like challenging yourself every once in awhile, can you do a day trip through South East Alaska? How many years does it take for one of your new hires to hold a West Coast Base? How long does one have to forego an upgrade to hold a Captain slot on the West Coast? Why am I even giving your comments the dignity of a response?

Someday, you'll all find out that General Lee is a 15 yr old in Macon GA who has been expelled from school and has nothing better to do than torment SW and AS pilots on the interweb....... some of you better take his comments less seriously or you are going to end up as early medical outs.

Delta could NEVER cover the West coast like Alaska does. A code share is the only logical arrangement.

Really? That's why we bought a company called WESTERN!!!!!

Check the history of who was covering the west back then.

Yes, I remember as a new hire flying to Calgary, Edmonton, etc. Even flew a leg that went YVR-PDX-SFO-LAX. We even went LAX-SAC and FAT. We also flew to Pasco, Missoula, Billings, Kallispel, and on and on. We don't need ALK for a minute of our flying.

Yes, I remember as a new hire flying to Calgary, Edmonton, etc. Even flew a leg that went YVR-PDX-SFO-LAX. We even went LAX-SAC and FAT. We also flew to Pasco, Missoula, Billings, Kallispel, and on and on. We don't need ALK for a minute of our flying.

Why did Delta stop flying those route? Was it because the money was too good?

I'm sure Delta could feed itself on the West Coast--with RJs or half empty mainline planes. Alaska makes little money, if any, running up and down the coast. All of our code share partners help up lose less, or make a little. Each flight from LAX-SEA has AA, DL, FI, OZ, QF, LA and numerous others to help us fill the plane.

Latest resources

Back