• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Discussion: Leather Uniform Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do think the traditional blazer and hat looks more professional. It was fine for flying 2-3 legs a day and hitting the town in Paris/Munich in your "other" clothes.

The problem starts when going out on an overnight in FWA after 6 legs, with a captain that looks like chester the molester in blue jeans, t-shirt, and a trench coat. Oh, and by the way it is -15C and 20G38.

I am not going to carry extra coats/jackets with me. I am over 40 and don't give a rats A$$ about fashion. The leather coat is an approved piece of clothing and I am going to wear it until it is not approved.

I have read a few threads like this on other forums. It seems that there is literally a 50 / 50 split on the leather jacket issue.

The way I see it, if about half of us want them... let us wear them.

If the public does not complain.... keep letting us wear them.

If other pilots complain... that's normal, pilots complain about everything.

I do not think they are unprofessional. I do think they look better than a frickin trench coat. I think they are more convenient than a trench coat. And they will last longer, with proper care, than a trench coat. I do think they cost too much.

In the end, there are much more important things to worry about. So lets get together, skin us some cows, get us some polyester for the "others," and stay warm in the picket line as a unified group.

I think you're wrong. I still see the majority of leather jackets worn by the regional clowns. .

Regional clowns huh? Some stereotyping going on there bud. What happened, you get turned down somewhere? Doesn't matter what you think because there is no movement to rid the wearing of leather at the regionals and nor at the majors. I wear one because it's more practical, warmer, less bulky, and can be worn on overnights minus the airline insignia. Get over it!

Hoser
ASA

Leather Jackets are great, but put stripes on the shoulders, and it looks totally bush league. NO way.
Leather jacket-cool, comfortable
Shoulder boards on a leather jacket- dorky

Get over it!

Hoser
ASA

I've been trying to get over it for months now but I just can't. There is something good in all of us that just can't let this type of inhuman behavior continue. Everytime I see a leather jacket walk in front of me in the concourse I have to fight urge to call TSA because I think there is a kid trying to imitate a pilot.

I guess I'll need to set up an appointment with a therapist.

Nothing looks more unprofessional than an airline pilot in a leather jacket.
No way. Not even close. I just saw the Mesa windbreaker for the first time the other day. Up to that time, I just thought it was a flightinfo urban legend....

I can see how people would have a problem with the leather jacket, but a freaking WINDBREAKER???? How can a "professional" airline pilot even think of wearing something like that? YGBSM. No excuse for that one.

I guess I'll need to set up an appointment with a therapist.

"Why? Because therapists are smart?"

Incidentally, if you only see regional "pukes" wearing leather, you haven't spent any time in SEA lately. Seems nearly every Alaska pilot, and a lot of LUV and USAMERICAAIRWAYSWEST guys are wearing them.

The more I see leather, the less odd it looks. I do find it more practical than a trenchcoat, which is why I use one when it's cold/windy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back