• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Discussion: Leather Uniform Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not sure why everyone says a trench won't keep you warm. I've done a lot of early winter mornings in the Northeast and in storms that made the airport look like Hoth, the few minutes of walkaround was never a big deal. Don't forget, leather is useless in the rain.

The leather is rooted in a time before air conditioning systems when it got cold in flight and there was a fair chance that you wouldn't make it home. I've never dropped bombs on Dresden or gone against Zeros in the south pacific, so I don't wear the leather. Military guys have earned it, civilians are just perpetrators.

Well, lots of civilians wore leather in the old days. What is wrong with perpetuating the tradition? Leather as Aviation apperal predates the The Blazer, Tie and Hat-they come from maritime tradition. We aren't running a cruise line for crying out loud with stewards to make sure our suits are pressed and shoes are shined daily, we are moving bus loads of self propelled biohazards through the sky.

Leather Jackets are great, but put stripes on the shoulders, and it looks totally bush league. NO way.
Leather jacket-cool, comfortable
Shoulder boards on a leather jacket- dorky

How then are you going to tell who's the Captain and who's not?

Personally, I think the leather looks good, plus it's functional, makes for easier commuting than the blazer imo. Bottom of my list goes to the trenchcoat. And what's with people thinking leather looks unprofessional? Explain please? How does wearing a blazer with stripes make you more of a professional? BTW, the most horrible looking combo is the blazer with the hat. It's a clown getup. But hey, you where whatever you want withing the guidance of your company FOM. I'm amazed what people get bent out of shape about.

I think you're wrong. I still see the majority of leather jackets worn by the regional clowns. Of course it's just my opionion though. We are flying civilian airplanes, not the Tomcat. We should fight the urge and temptation to wear the leather with stripes at any cost.

Yes more opinion... I would guess that there are more regional pilots with leather however, more than less major/legacy carriers now allow leather... the trend is growing not regressing....

Reality, not my opinion, is what it is......

Well, lots of civilians wore leather in the old days. What is wrong with perpetuating the tradition? Leather as Aviation apperal predates the The Blazer, Tie and Hat-they come from maritime tradition. We aren't running a cruise line for crying out loud with stewards to make sure our suits are pressed and shoes are shined daily, we are moving bus loads of self propelled biohazards through the sky.

You've made my point completely. The leather is about seat of the pants defying death type of flying. That's not what I do. I am an airline pilot, and what I do is absolutely rooted in maritime tradition. It's reflected in everything from the rules to the nomenclature to the uniform. That's why there's a Captain and if your plane is big enough, there's a purser as well as stewards.

If you insist on thinking of it as driving a bus, the case can be made, so think about a bus driver's uniform. No leather jackets at Greyhound.

I agree with the part about some of the young guys looking unprofessional, but it is certainly not hats or leather jackets that are the problem.

The only guys that don't look professional are the ones who shave once a week, get a haircut once every 6 months, wear the same shirt for an entire bid period, and the ipod/backpack crowd.

You can't make me own more than one shirt

Or get it cleaned for that matter

You've made my point completely. The leather is about seat of the pants defying death type of flying. That's not what I do. I am an airline pilot, and what I do is absolutely rooted in maritime tradition. It's reflected in everything from the rules to the nomenclature to the uniform. That's why there's a Captain and if your plane is big enough, there's a purser as well as stewards.

If you insist on thinking of it as driving a bus, the case can be made, so think about a bus driver's uniform. No leather jackets at Greyhound.

Capt. Smith was a wild rogue.... sank the Titanic.... killed more people than van Zanten

The early days of aviation is a part of our heritage... Know the past... embrace the future...

It is all personal opinion except that more and more pilots are wearing the leather and more airlines are making it policy....

Oh, my plane is big enough-though we don't require flight attendants. The stewards I was refering to are the type that see that the Officer's Mess is always shipshape, not those that care for the passengers-though I can understand the confusion...

I haven't made your point at all! Seat of the pants flying was all they had back then! That aviation has grown into the safe and reliable system that it is-I can think of no more fitting tribute to those brave men. If I wanted to be a sea captian I would have gone to the Merchant Marine Academy! Yeah there is some crossover from things nautical-we even used to have Flight Navigators that used sextents. There were the Boeing and Martin flying boats of Pan Am and the Shorts that were used on the Empire routes. For your nautical stuff-before rubber coatings for foul weather gear the sailors wore oilskins which were nothing more than oil impregnated leather trench coats!

Some of the really vain ones may even have carried leather riding crops!

Ah, the leather comes back to haunt you again and again! ;)

Do you do your regular tours in the sim? Do you not practice emergencies like "Smoke in the Cockpit"? I know that it's not likely but what is going to give you more protection-and thereby more time to fight a fire- your poly/wool blazer or a leather jacket?

How about a depressurization? Ever try to fly wearing a trench coat? It's not fun! And I don't care how professional or tough you think you are you won't last long at 40 below in your shirtsleeves!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back