• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Discussion: Leather Uniform Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm still not willing to give up yet. The professionalism of this industry has been tainted dramatically by the "Generation X" crowd who think it's "hip" to flip switches and wear leather while mom and dad are paying massive amounts of interest so Johnny could go to Gulfstream or Delta Academy. I know, the Leather Crowd is growing in a BIG way because of the growth of the regionals. I also know that this "new look" is going to be standard in the future and that's what scares me the most. I'll fight til the bitter end. Can we PLEASE start looking like professional flight crews and NOT Ted & Frank from the local Civil Air Patrol Auxillary Unit. I know some of you will come around and we all welcome you back. See you on the other side.

Thanks,

SEVEN, "Fighting for the return of professionalism in the Flight Deck!"

Your personal opinion doesn't reflect reality. The growing trend of leather is not at the regionals but at the majors...

While Mesaba and AWAC are not getting leather NWA, UAL and UPS are the most recent additions....

"Can we PLEASE start looking like professional flight crews and NOT Ted & Frank from the local Civil Air Patrol Auxillary Unit."

^^^ The crumpled up trenchcoat is professional?

Hmmmmm

I'm still not willing to give up yet. The professionalism of this industry has been tainted dramatically by the "Generation X" crowd who think it's "hip" to flip switches and wear leather while mom and dad are paying massive amounts of interest so Johnny could go to Gulfstream or Delta Academy. I know, the Leather Crowd is growing in a BIG way because of the growth of the regionals. I also know that this "new look" is going to be standard in the future and that's what scares me the most. I'll fight til the bitter end. Can we PLEASE start looking like professional flight crews and NOT Ted & Frank from the local Civil Air Patrol Auxillary Unit. I know some of you will come around and we all welcome you back. See you on the other side.

Thanks,

SEVEN, "Fighting for the return of professionalism in the Flight Deck!"

I agree with the part about some of the young guys looking unprofessional, but it is certainly not hats or leather jackets that are the problem.

The only guys that don't look professional are the ones who shave once a week, get a haircut once every 6 months, wear the same shirt for an entire bid period, and the ipod/backpack crowd.

The latter.

If you're wearing a leather jacket, then you look like a d0uchebag. I'm not just talking about in uniform, either. Leather jackets are just plain gay in any situation.

Lighten up young squire,,,,,, PT made the decision....that should explain it better than all the arguments here. As, I stated above, it is not the best image, but it does offer practicality on the musical planes game at PCL......If PT wants me to look more professional, he could keep me locked in the same cockpit all day and slide quesadillas under the door sill. Keep me away from the public and feed me,,,,,,, I would be happy as a clam.......

Your personal opinion doesn't reflect reality. The growing trend of leather is not at the regionals but at the majors...

While Mesaba and AWAC are not getting leather NWA, UAL and UPS are the most recent additions....

I think you're wrong. I still see the majority of leather jackets worn by the regional clowns. Of course it's just my opionion though. We are flying civilian airplanes, not the Tomcat. We should fight the urge and temptation to wear the leather with stripes at any cost.

I think you're wrong. I still see the majority of leather jackets worn by the regional clowns. Of course it's just my opionion though. We are flying civilian airplanes, not the Tomcat. We should fight the urge and temptation to wear the leather with stripes at any cost.

I see way more guys at the majors wearing them than the regionals (probably because we can't afford them). There are barely any guys who wear them here at PDT, but every other US Airways mainline pilot I see has one.

Last edited:
Sorry son..but look slightly left.... Big Bill Hopson is more of a man than you or I will ever be... he is the pure definition on an Air Line Pilot....

He was a soul aviator counting on only one thing..... himself.... in his day he relied on his skill, experience and instinct. He didn't have an enclosed cockpit, turbines, EGPWS, ILS, anti skid, and cowl heat. He also didn't have an Association to back up his right to PIC authority. He was killed before Dave got it started.

You and I are not worthy, if possible, to wipe the oil off his cowling or gas his aircraft.

Big Bill wore leather....

The Perrone leather jacket that many of us wear is so common one might get to use it at different airlines as I have... I can tell you that my leather jacket is more reliable than the dirt bag airlines I've been furloughed. With accumulating employee numbers on the inside liner as my "career" progresses...

Now that you've thrown every Naval Aviator, including my family, and USAF pilot AND Air Line Pilots at most airlines under the bus... Leather jackets have been a common icon to all types of aviators.

One of the reasons I like my leather jacket cause in this industry sometimes it is the only thing I can count on.....

No one is forcing you to buy or wear it..... so how are you harmed?

Bravo!

Are you sure you're talking to me, or did you mean to address PCL_128? I agree with you all the way, amigo. My boss says I can choose between the leather or the blazer/trench combo. If someone doesn't like one or the other, they can take it up with the union or the chief, because I don't care, either.

Frankly, I'm more worried about maxing out my 401(k) and such, because I'm sure when I'm in a hospice bed with tubes sticking out of me because in 2023 they discovered that sani-wipes actually cause cancer, I won't be saying, "Dam, I should have worn the trench coat..."

Sorry man,

The old fingers don't keyboard like they use to. With all of the turmoil in the industry I can't believe that a darn jacket is even an issue. Good luck with the 401K. I had to dip into mine after the furlough.

Latest resources

Back