Discussion: Leather Uniform Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The latter.

If you're wearing a leather jacket, then you look like a d0uchebag. I'm not just talking about in uniform, either. Leather jackets are just plain gay in any situation.

Sorry son..but look slightly left.... Big Bill Hopson is more of a man than you or I will ever be... he is the pure definition on an Air Line Pilot....

He was a soul aviator counting on only one thing..... himself.... in his day he relied on his skill, experience and instinct. He didn't have an enclosed cockpit, turbines, EGPWS, ILS, anti skid, and cowl heat. He also didn't have an Association to back up his right to PIC authority. He was killed before Dave got it started.

You and I are not worthy, if possible, to wipe the oil off his cowling or gas his aircraft.

Big Bill wore leather....

The Perrone leather jacket that many of us wear is so common one might get to use it at different airlines as I have... I can tell you that my leather jacket is more reliable than the dirt bag airlines I've been furloughed. With accumulating employee numbers on the inside liner as my "career" progresses...

Now that you've thrown every Naval Aviator, including my family, and USAF pilot AND Air Line Pilots at most airlines under the bus... Leather jackets have been a common icon to all types of aviators.

One of the reasons I like my leather jacket cause in this industry sometimes it is the only thing I can count on.....

No one is forcing you to buy or wear it..... so how are you harmed?

Last edited:
Sorry son..but look slightly left.... Big Bill Hopson is more of a man than you or I will ever be... he is the pure definition on an Air Line Pilot....

He was a soul aviator counting on only one thing..... himself.... in his day he relied on his skill, experience and instinct. He didn't have an enclosed cockpit, turbines, EGPWS, ILS, anti skid, and cowl heat. He also didn't have an Association to back up his right to PIC authority. He was killed before Dave got it started.

You and I are not worthy, if possible, to wipe the oil off his cowling or gas his aircraft.

Big Bill wore leather....

Big Bill lived and flew three quarters of a century ago in open-cockpit biplanes. What he wore is no longer relevant. In uniform, the jacket looks unprofessional. In casual situation, it makes you look like you have no fashion sense. Sorry.

If my company let me wear jeans and a tee shirt, well, I would'nt do it!

I simply do not like the concept. I don't like tee shirts.

Jeans, cowboy boots and flannel. Thats OK.

Mein Got, what gymnasium do you guys come from. Oh, forgot you want to work for the uber airline.

Big Bill lived and flew three quarters of a century ago in open-cockpit biplanes. What he wore is no longer relevant. In uniform, the jacket looks unprofessional. In casual situation, it makes you look like you have no fashion sense. Sorry.

You hit the nail on the head! The leather coat is completely retarded! It kills me when guys say, "but you can take the patches and epaulettes off and wear it on overnights." Are you SERIOUS?!?! We have a name for the guys that wear them at my airline. We call them " the leathers". Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to impress when I'm on a trip, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of those ugly a$$ things!

You hit the nail on the head! The leather coat is completely retarded! It kills me when guys say, "but you can take the patches and epaulettes off and wear it on overnights." Are you SERIOUS?!?! We have a name for the guys that wear them at my airline. We call them " the leathers". Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to impress when I'm on a trip, but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of those ugly a$$ things!

Oh, I'm scared. Please don't call me....."THE LEATHERS"

Don't worry we ( leathers) will not catch you dead.

Bill Hopson was a dumba$$ who pulled stupid, maniacal stunts and got himself killed. I'm surprised that you'd endorse a nut like this, Rez. Luckily he didn't take anyone with him.

Latest resources

Back