Discussion: Leather Uniform Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If we were serious about leather flight jackets, they'd be one of two options:

1. USN/USMC "cruise" jackets. Brown, with faded fur collars and ratty, torn cuffs. Huge colorful patches denoting weiner-chafing stretches at sea, or 100-traps on an old scow that puts you on "water hours" every 3 days. (No...I don't miss "Midway Magic"!). Road-Warrior name tags with cool names like "Max Knots" and "Bud Fugger". They must be brown goatskin...covered with coffee and skydrol stains, and must not match the uniform you're wearing them with.

2. REAL leather jackets! Fuzzy-side-out deerskin, in a western cut, with 6-inch long fringe! Dusty-brown in color, and always one-size too large. (Optional: A$$less chaps with your airline's logo branded into the right thigh)

I say the leather AND the hat is the way to go.

It seems uniform choice is like a merger... no one is happy with the choices or results...

The trench coat is standard...

The leather is all too common now... Only the DAL boys don't wear them...

The hat? Whenever a organization wants to specify the image of an Air Line Pilot...there is the hat.....

Are they cool or are they for spikey hair, Tom Cruise wannabe's.

The latter.

If you're wearing a leather jacket, then you look like a d0uchebag. I'm not just talking about in uniform, either. Leather jackets are just plain gay in any situation.

If you're wearing a leather jacket, then you look like a d0uchebag. I'm not just talking about in uniform, either. Leather jackets are just plain gay in any situation.[/quote]

Right.....:erm:

What would you suggest wearing in the COLD weather then, a windbreaker?

I dont know much about Memphis, (and quite honestly, I am really happy about that) but up in the north it's cold.....the blazer and the trench just don't cut it. Youre welcome to come "hangout" with me on the LGA ramp, I'll be warm, wearing a "gay" leather jacket, and you can stand there in your blazer and trench knowing that you look super "hetero" and not like a ******************************bag.......

What would you suggest wearing in the COLD weather then, a windbreaker?

Blazer and trench coat. If you're still cold, then wear thermal underwear. I feel just fine with the trenchcoat, though, and I'm based up north in DTW.

Leather is more durable, more functional and if the taco bell sauce gets on it you just have to wipe it off. You don't have to drag around the striped polyester lounge lizzard jacked (I fly a freighter, not the Graf Zepplin or a Pan Am Clipper) a trench coat and another coat to wear out to the bar for supper. All of this and they piss PETA off too! What more could you ask from a jacket?

PCL, if you want to run around looking like a throwback to the '40's, that's fine for you. Too bad you'll never have the pay or the respect your fancy ugliform commands...

Last edited:
The latter.

If you're wearing a leather jacket, then you look like a d0uchebag. I'm not just talking about in uniform, either. Leather jackets are just plain gay in any situation.

If you're wearing a trench coat, then you look like a d0uchbag. I'm not just talking about in uniform, either. Trench coats are just plain gay in any situation.

I'm a spy, and I should know!

Well that changes my mind. :rolleyes:

Do they even still make the blazers?:nuts: I haven't worn one in years. I either wear the leather jacket or the trenchcoat without the blazer, depending on which kind of "gay" I decide to look like that day.

Latest resources

Back