• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Discussion: Leather Uniform Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very tacky and unprofessional. Pilots who wear those in front of passengers should be sent home and suspended indefinetely without pay.

It's not that I find the leather jacket particularly cool, it's just that I find the trenchcoat rather bulky and cumbersome.

Very tacky and unprofessional. Pilots who wear those in front of passengers should be sent home and suspended indefinetely without pay.

From a marketing standpoint I do not think they are the image we (especially the regionals) want to paint. However, the company made the decision that these are a standard uniform issue. Since the 9E CRJ's have no coat space (taken up by the NW extended extra galley carts for the meal services), there is little space for blazer and trench coats. I finally broke down and got one. They are less bulky than the combination. I wear a blazer in moderate temps. But for this 20 below crap, I wear the leather. Even mainlines are allowing it now and hats appear to be history.

What's really cool and non-homo is a navy blazer and a stalker trenchcoat coupled with a 20k W2 and topped off with a chauffer hat.

BINGO! And what's the scoop with the sweaters and epaulets!? Are you a pilot or Mr. Roger's spawn? I say the leather AND the hat is the way to go. The hat keeps the glue from getting washed out of your hair during a downpour and you can strip the leather jacket down to wear when away from the airport. When you upgrade, just toss on the new bars and keep trucking. It is the best bang for the buck.

I'd take one over a trenchcoat, simply because they are far more funtional. Maybe in the spring it's fine, but on a cold MN/ND/WI/MI morning, the trenchcoat is pure garbage. Flying for Mesaba, you often are dealing with -20F (and colder) mornings, in a Saab, with no heat. The trenchcoat is a pathetic excuse for a winter jacket.

Pilots who wear those in front of passengers should be sent home and suspended indefinetely [sic] without pay.

Have your chief pilot call my chief pilot about it. Let me know how that goes.

Seriously, I could shive a git about what people wear, as long as it is compliant with their company's FOM. Personally, I don't own an all-weather coat, but I don't have to (for now, anyway).

Leather coats = functional, if not somewhat Fonzi-esque.

Leather coats with epaulets on the outside = queerer than the San Francisco phone book.

Trenchcoat = only suitable if you're also sporting a molestache and don't mind holding the tails back every time you take a piss (the coat tails, not the molestache tails).

:D

I could be wrong, though.

and you still have a pension, just rub it in some more..

Yeah, no eppaullets (spelling it wrong) on the jacket...almost as funny looking as indoor sunglass guy.

Latest resources

Back