• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Discussion: Leather Uniform Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds more professional to worry about your pilot groups 401k than which approved uniform they are wearing... noted!

I'm just saying: Maybe the leather needs to go away, but I don't know because it's really not something I think about. If it does, get the FOM changed and I'll happily comply, since I get paid to follow the rules.

If you're wearing a leather jacket, then you look like a d0uchebag. I'm not just talking about in uniform, either. Leather jackets are just plain gay in any situation.

Big Bill lived and flew three quarters of a century ago in open-cockpit biplanes. What he wore is no longer relevant. In uniform, the jacket looks unprofessional. In casual situation, it makes you look like you have no fashion sense. Sorry.

?????????????

d0uchebag?

Gay in any situation?

Let me get my video camera, I have a bar in mind where I'd love to see (and record) you uttering that phrase.

I know a few cops who would find little amusement in that remark as well.

Bad mouthing a pioneer Air Mail pilot ?

Using the words "fashion sense"? Now there is a situation where the above DOES apply.

I have no idea what you LOOK like in your "fashionable" wardrobe of choice, but you definitely think like a d0uchebag.

For the record, I have had the option of wearing the leather jacket at my carrier for a number of years. After years of slamming my annoying topcoat in car doors, having to fight with the belt which always seems in the way, I plan to soon order my first Perrone Leather jacket. I will use it for perhaps the three or four coldest months as I prefer the more traditional blazer and cap. I will also wear it on overnights if I should venture outside (without any accessories identifying my profession).

I welcome any "d0uchebag" or other derogatory comments, but somehow I'm guessing you restrict those to anonymous environments.

Oh, and I definitely have no fashion sense. Wouldn't want any.

Last edited:
This is kind of a dumb subject. I assume most of these idiots that are arguing about this subject are from some where warm. For the past few weeks it has been below zero in MN, and I don't think too many people care what they wear when they are outside as long as they are keeping the wind off their backs at -30 with the windchill!

I'm just saying: Maybe the leather needs to go away, but I don't know because it's really not something I think about. If it does, get the FOM changed and I'll happily comply, since I get paid to follow the rules.

With more and more FOM's (or company policy) allowing the use of leather jackets it seems that the (artic) winds of change favor the leather....

AMR
UAL
CAL (?)
NWA
SWA
FX
UPS
XJT
PCL
MidEx (?)
jB
ASA
SKW
MAG
AirTran
TSA (?)
CMR (?)
AWA (?)

The minority are USAir and DAL

Who else....??

I am all for reality.

And realisitically more and more FOM's permit the use of leather.

Realistically, is there any outcry that the leather jacket promotes a bad image besides personal opinion? Who has a problem with it besides some moniker on FI?

Does the customer have a problem with it? If so, please provide a reference and not a "this one time at band camp" story that "without a doubt proves it"

Does the company have an issue? Well no, because managements are allowing the leather jacket to become an option....and pilots are exercising that option.

So whats the deal? Instead of making this a divisive issue. (an immature one at that!)..why not allow each and every pilot to comply with the uniform policy.

There are much bigger and more pragmatic issues to deal with than personal opinion of policy compliance...

Or if you insist on arguing uniform compliance then discuss the jackas$es than go to Burlington Coat Factory and buy "similiar" leather jackets and similiar overcoats. If I take the time and money to comply with policy what makes another pilot so special that he can game the system....

With more and more FOM's (or company policy) allowing the use of leather jackets it seems that the (artic) winds of change favor the leather [good stuff removed for brevity]

Well written, Rez. I'm with you. :beer:

CAP look MUST GO!

I'm still not willing to give up yet. The professionalism of this industry has been tainted dramatically by the "Generation X" crowd who think it's "hip" to flip switches and wear leather while mom and dad are paying massive amounts of interest so Johnny could go to Gulfstream or Delta Academy. I know, the Leather Crowd is growing in a BIG way because of the growth of the regionals. I also know that this "new look" is going to be standard in the future and that's what scares me the most. I'll fight til the bitter end. Can we PLEASE start looking like professional flight crews and NOT Ted & Frank from the local Civil Air Patrol Auxillary Unit. I know some of you will come around and we all welcome you back. See you on the other side.

Thanks,

SEVEN, "Fighting for the return of professionalism in the Flight Deck!"

Latest resources

Back