• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
App: Cleared for the left base, contact the tower
Me: Uhhh
App: Have a good night.

-mini

That's always the best, when it's 2am, you check in 40 miles out, and approach says, "Cleared to land 17L, and taxi to parking. Have a good night."

Turn left heading 360, do you have the airport in sight? Yes. Cleared visual 27L (at Ohare).

This is at 4000' and 1 mile from Willt. Hellllloooooo

Last edited:
In-and-out of the clouds descending through about 4,000 on a practice approach, the center controller (who was VERY busy) sez, " Sqawk 1200, maintain VFR, and contact the tower." I politely suggested that even though this was only a practice approach, we were IFR AND IMC and needed an approach.

We were on the las vegas hoover 2 departure, and had just gotten switched to the departure controller:

Dept: "Baron XXX, cleared direct cowboy intersection"
Me: "Uhh, we're a slant alpha, we can't do that, can we get a heading?"
Dept: "Yeah, ok, I lost your strip, I was just taking a stab in the dark"

Makes you wonder...

~wheelsup

So you admitted to breaking the regs on the radio (i.e. flying VFR in IFR conditions?). Do you want to get your ticket yanked?

gern_blanston said:
In-and-out of the clouds descending through about 4,000 on a practice approach, the center controller (who was VERY busy) sez, " Sqawk 1200, maintain VFR, and contact the tower." I politely suggested that even though this was only a practice approach, we were IFR AND IMC and needed an approach.

Vik said:
So you admitted to breaking the regs on the radio (i.e. flying VFR in IFR conditions?). Do you want to get your ticket yanked?

He mentioned that he was IFR. Plenty of people practice approaches while IFR.

You dont practice an approach when IMC.... you shoot an approach.

As far as ATC losing a strip... its the same as you screwing up a freq change. Get over it and get used to it.

RJPilott said:
You dont practice an approach when IMC.... you shoot an approach.

You sure about that?

4-3-21
a. "...Practice instrument approaches are considered to be instrument approaches made by either a VFR aircraft not on an IFR flight plan or an aircraft on an IFR flight plan."

-mini

Flew my 200 up to White Plains from Houston. Received 8 (counted them after we landed) re-routes. 5 hours and 15 miuntes later. We were wonderig if the controlers in the northeast were trying to tell us...No turbine sububans up here.
Ha

Latest resources

Back