Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Difference between "Throttle" and "Thrust Lever"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
English said:
Tell Cessna that.
That's exactly what i was thinking!

I doubt you had the T-37 in mind, but I was thinking of the Boldface that is forever ingrained in the core of my noggin'. Let's see if I can fathom re-learning those with "Thrust Lever(s)" instead of "Throttle(s)"

SINGLE SPIN RECOVERY

THRUST LEVERS - IDLE
RUDDER and AILERONS - NEUTRAL

No, no, no... that just doesn't have the correct rhythm! We'd never pull it off with the substitution. Besides, then it'd be 44 words instead of 43. No!! They definitely have to be THROTTLES. Definitely! :)

On a related note... I recall being slightly amused when I first noticed the decal placard on the Throttle quadrant (see there, another throttle) of the KC/EC/RC-135s. There alongside the other pertinent markings was an arrow pointing toward the nose of the airplane labeled "Increase Thrust." (In fact, there may have been two, one on each side.) I often wondered who could have become confused, and how they might have become confused about which way to push the levers, whatever they called 'em, to increase thrust.

Boeing calls 'em Throttles, at least they did when I was flying last night. :)

I've always wondered if they are thrust levers......why do we have an auto throttle system? Can't Boeing make up their mind either?

FoxBravo said:
I've always wondered if they are thrust levers......why do we have an auto throttle system? Can't Boeing make up their mind either?

Airbus labelled it an "autothrust" system.

Yeah, I was simply asking about proper nomenclature- on the RJ, we called them "thrust levers", but on the DC-10, we call them "throttles"- apparently Douglas did this with all of their airplanes.

Just curious- but I did like the history behind the "I'll throttle him" phrase...

TonyC said:
On a related note... I recall being slightly amused when I first noticed the decal placard on the Throttle quadrant (see there, another throttle) of the KC/EC/RC-135s. There alongside the other pertinent markings was an arrow pointing toward the nose of the airplane labeled "Increase Thrust." (In fact, there may have been two, one on each side.) I often wondered who could have become confused, and how they might have become confused about which way to push the levers, whatever they called 'em, to increase thrust.

Boeing calls 'em Throttles, at least they did when I was flying last night. :)
HA! I found the same "decal" placard on the 727 throttle quadrant today "<---- INCREASE THRUST". I hadn't noticed it before.

Makes ya wonder - - who woulda thunk ta move 'em the other direction to increase thrust?!?!

:confused:

:)

Anyone who quotes himself is a flightinfo junkie.

Tony C.,

I hope for all of our sakes when you found this in the jet you didn't jump up and down in your seat and say to the other two "I can't wait to tell the guys at flightinfo!!"

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Anyone who quotes himself is a flightinfo junkie.

Tony C.,

I hope for all of our sakes when you found this in the jet you didn't jump up and down in your seat and say to the other two "I can't wait to tell the guys at flightinfo!!"
Guilty as charged.

I did get a strange look when I just started chuckling.

TonyC said:
SINGLE SPIN RECOVERY

THRUST LEVERS - IDLE
RUDDER and AILERONS - NEUTRAL

No, no, no... that just doesn't have the correct rhythm! We'd never pull it off with the substitution. Besides, then it'd be 44 words instead of 43. No!! They definitely have to be THROTTLES. Definitely! :)

....Now that's entertainment!!...I like this guy.

TonyC said:
HA! I found the same "decal" placard on the 727 throttle quadrant today "<---- INCREASE THRUST". I hadn't noticed it before.

Makes ya wonder - - who woulda thunk ta move 'em the other direction to increase thrust?!?!

:confused:

Fact is...on steam locomotives you pull the throttle BACK to increase speed and of course you move it FORWARD to slow...go figure, but they had them first circa 1830 <big grin>

~DC

Latest resources

Back