• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL in the US - Latest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, after they were caught. It costs money to fly 2nd day, and alot more when you don't know you are doing it. It wasn't just second day either.
I'm talking about well over a year ago. Year and a half maybe. How does it cost more when you don't know? Not sure what you mean by that.

Shooter

Frankly I don't see why that would be an issue if clearly communicated. The same method of tracking "A" containers could have been applied to the "C" container.

Indeed that would have been possible, but ABX didn't want to assign ULD numbers to C containers ...

You and me may agree that the level of shipment detail DHL is asking for is somewhat over the top, but that's really not the issue here. That's the way they want it, and that's what ABX should have provided. But, they refused to number the C-cans, refused to do all the check-points required and refused to implement a number of critical IT-systems that would have provided the required transparancy.

I can't beleive that could be done without the knowledge and consent of DHL's system control. BTW, the other side of that arguement is that is makes no sense to provide (and pay for) linehaul to a destination if a partially empty aircraft is going there. All one need do is hold the freight for 2nd day delivery.

Belive you me mate, it was. DHL tried time and time again to impress the importance on ABX not to transport 2nd day by air, but never got through. Part of the reason may have been the way ABX was paid, i.e. cost + x. Therefore ABX managers had no financial incentive to cancel flights, as it would have had a detrimental effect on their bonuses. Never mind the service erosion it caused, nor the long term effects it had on revenues -a large number of customers stopped buying 1st day service, because their experience told them they could get the same delivery time buying 2nd day service.

Furthermore, the road linehauls had to operate regardless of how much freight was onboard, if for no other reason than to position for the return loads.

A few years ago the director of JFK gateway told ABX that they could safely hold 2 aircraft in ILN over christmas, as they didn't have the freight to fill them up. Nope, ABX said, we're sending them - the cost + x thing rears it's ugly head again, and the incredibly short-sighted behaviour of ABX managers. Result - 2 aircraft departed EMPTY from ILN to JFK, parked for the day and returned back, again EMPTY. Great way to loose money, but hey - the managers got their bonuses!

Yes, DHL should have had overall control of the network, and you point your finger at NCG. Well, NCG had to a very large extent no control over how ABX ran their air operation. Sadly, it was impossible to have ABX come around and work the way DHL wanted them to, and that was another in the long list of reasons why DHL failed so miserably. Not the biggest reason financially - not by a long shot, but probably the biggest reason operationally.

Shooter

A few years ago the director of JFK gateway told ABX that they could safely hold 2 aircraft in ILN over christmas, as they didn't have the freight to fill them up. Nope, ABX said, we're sending them - the cost + x thing rears it's ugly head again, and the incredibly short-sighted behaviour of ABX managers. Result - 2 aircraft departed EMPTY from ILN to JFK, parked for the day and returned back, again EMPTY. Great way to loose money, but hey - the managers got their bonuses!

Yes, DHL should have had overall control of the network, and you point your finger at NCG. Well, NCG had to a very large extent no control over how ABX ran their air operation. Sadly, it was impossible to have ABX come around and work the way DHL wanted them to, and that was another in the long list of reasons why DHL failed so miserably. Not the biggest reason financially - not by a long shot, but probably the biggest reason operationally.

That's not true....nowhere even CLOSE to how it works here and I would think you would know that. While NCG has no control over the operational control of the aircraft, they do control their network. They are the ones that make the call to cancel the flight due to their network, we would only do it for safety and legality. Again, they are the ones who control their network and if there were empty planes flying it is because DHL wanted them to fly that way. Either to prove to the Congress they are losing money or stupid I don't know but that is NOT an ABX call unless ABX was paying for the ferry costs of the aircraft.

You KNOW this weenie. Why try and blame that on ABX?

Shooter

Indeed that would have been possible, but ABX didn't want to assign ULD numbers to C containers ...

You and me may agree that the level of shipment detail DHL is asking for is somewhat over the top, but that's really not the issue here. That's the way they want it, and that's what ABX should have provided. But, they refused to number the C-cans, refused to do all the check-points required and refused to implement a number of critical IT-systems that would have provided the required transparancy.

Belive you me mate, it was. DHL tried time and time again to impress the importance on ABX not to transport 2nd day by air, but never got through. Part of the reason may have been the way ABX was paid, i.e. cost + x. Therefore ABX managers had no financial incentive to cancel flights, as it would have had a detrimental effect on their bonuses. Never mind the service erosion it caused, nor the long term effects it had on revenues -a large number of customers stopped buying 1st day service, because their experience told them they could get the same delivery time buying 2nd day service.

Furthermore, the road linehauls had to operate regardless of how much freight was onboard, if for no other reason than to position for the return loads.

Euro, this is where the B.S. flag goes up. ABX never told DHL where the airplanes go DHL told ABX. Even after ABX begged DHL not send airplanes to a certain city or told them they could cancel a plane because of lite loads Dhl would not hear of it. DHL is the one who made all the stupid decisions about aircraft movement not ABX. Despite what your higher ups may have told you. This type of post tells me you really do not know anything. Keep pushing your broom stop using office computers.

nitefr8dog, you are 100% correct. These were decisions made by NCG (Network Control). You have examples of why we so affectionately call them the No Clue Group.

You know, it could be that the DHL NCG idiots have been lying to Plantation and Germany these past few years. But it is still no excuse for a network control group to not control their own network. (this includes the 2nd day drivel being tossed around. The DHL NCG had their people with every ABX supervisor in the sort. If this was going on NCG knew it.) Weenie and Germany should know this.

Last edited:
DHL is too f***** up to change. Game over. ABX has already found a new customer for the six of the freighters that DHL would require. More to follow.

Hey Euro,
How about the HUGE snowstorm right before Christmas a few years back. ABX implored DHL not to bring the planes in that night, but DHL would not listen. The result was all the planes flew in to ILN, got thoroughly caked in ice and snow and departed anywhere from 12 -36 hours late. Had the inbound been canceled that one night, the storm would have passed and all would have been well the following night.

Guys, you may recall Euro was on here for a time last Spring also spouting off how all this was the fault of ABX. He clearly is NOT in any position which provides any real knowledge of the situation; just look at his first post here in which he say 40000, that's forty THOUSAND to be laid of by DHL; anyone hear of that many even in DHL employ?

but ABX didn't want to assign ULD numbers to C containers ...
.... they refused to number the C-cans, refused to do all the check-points required and refused to implement a number of critical IT-systems that would have provided the required transparancy.
Bullsh!t. ABX put little stickers with a bar code on every C container.

Euro, you've either been fed a bunch of BS or you're spewing it yourself. Probably both.

Last edited:
I appreciate Euro's insight. I think the info. he posted is plausable. Lets face it if the UPS deal falls apart, which is likely, DHL will have to continue using ABX and Astar 767s, A300s and DC8s at least for a while. At some point they will pick one airline or the other but from what we have all seen it takes DHL a long time to make decisions. Either way, ILN is not an option for the few flights they are operating now.

I take the part about ABX screwing things up for DHL with a grain of salt. I am sure there is some truth to it but it may be exagerated.

As for the 40,000 lay offs, I think that may be an accurate number. He said INCLUDING contractors. DHL had 40,000 direct employees and I think about 25,000 of contract employees in the US.

Latest resources

Back