• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL in the US - Latest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am guessing the board doesn't get a lot of Chinese readers let alone people who would know the relevance of 64. Seems an odd tag line for this forum.

Not an odd tag at all. The 20th anniversary is coming up is why I put that in my tag line. These kids are nothing but full blown patriots. They have more balls than most Americans these days. How many of our youth today would stand down a tank to change their government? I bet very very very few and that hurts a bit inside.

Last edited:
While I am sure me and the 2 other people who can read Chinese appreciate it.

To be honest, I did that on purpose. I sought that out to have curiosity be the teacher. If it were just a tag to point to the 20th anniversary this June it would not mean as much to those who used babel-fish or some other translator to figure out what the he77 I was referring to. At least that was my thought process. The Olympic games provided a clear view of how much they are in need of change. I hope many noticed.

Someone sent me a link to the wiki page and I found it interesting how much culture refers to the "incident". Not to hijack the thread any further, but here are a few in a cut and paste.

International media programmes, such as CNN, are blacked out when the anniversary on June 4 every year is mentioned on televisions in Chinese hotels and homes for foreigners.

This event has inspired many references within lyrics and album art - both in political and non-political usages.
The song "Tin Omen" by the Canadian industrial band Skinny Puppy is a reference to this uprising and massacre. Also song refers to the tumultuous years around 1968 where there were uprisings around the world and the Kent State uprising and massacre in the United States.
The British rock band The Cure, during a concert in Rome on 4 June 1989, dedicated their last encore, "Faith," to "everyone that died today in China." Singer Robert Smith extended the song with improvised lyrics about a person who has a gun held to their mouth and urged to say "Yes" to the question "Do you love me?", but finally refuses to do so. The bootlegged recording of this 15 minute version is known as "Tiananmen Faith". In the same year, Joan Baez wrote and recorded her folk anthem "China" to commemorate the democratic revolt. Billy Joel's history-themed single "We Didn't Start the Fire", released late 1989, mentions the event in the line "China's under martial law."
Progressive rock group Marillion wrote a song titled "The King of Sunset Town" that uses imagery from the Tiananmen Square incidents, such as "a puppet king on the Fourth of June" and "before the Twenty-Seventh came". The song was released on their album Seasons End in September 1989.
The band System of a Down referenced the event in the opening lines to the song "Hypnotize", which are, "Why don't you ask the kids at Tiananmen Square, was fashion the reason why they were there?"
Shiny Happy People by REM is supposedly an ironic reference to a piece of roughly translated Chinese propaganda regarding the massacre, two years before the song was released.[93] The inference apparently relates to how politics is controlled by those with children in powerful positions, not idealistic revolting unhappy students on the ground in Tiananmen Square. The idea that propaganda is often used to cover up stark weaknesses in political systems. The song is mockingly played to encourage unknown political candidates to be upbeat even under fire.
American thrash metal band Slayer released a song "Blood Red" on their 1990 album titled "Seasons in the Abyss", which was inspired by the Tiananmen Square incident. The song includes the lines: "Peaceful confrontation meets war machine, Seizing all civil liberties... No disguise can deface evil, The massacre of innocent people." The same year, another American thrash metal band Testament released the song "Seven Days in May" protesting the Beijing massacre (though the assault on Tiananmen Square took place on 3 June, not in May) on their "Souls of Black" album, including the words: "In the square they play the game, That's when the tanks and the army came... They called the murders minimal, Described their victims as criminals... Dead souls like you and me, Who only wanted free society".
British anarchist pop band Chumbawamba released a song called "Tiananmen Square" on their 1990 album Slap!. The lyrics are built around the fact the People's Liberation Army murdered the people. The Tank Man is also referenced ("You must've seen it, the boy in the white shirt").
Sinéad O'Connor, on her 1990 album I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, referenced the killings in her song "Black Boys on Mopeds" with the following opening lines: "Margaret Thatcher on TV, Shocked by the deaths that took place in Beijing".
British goth rock outfit Siouxsie and the Banshees recorded the song "The Ghost in You" for their album Superstition in 1991. It is about a person who witnessed the massacre returning to Tiananmen Square and remembering the terrible emotions he/she experienced there.
Roger Waters referred to the massacre on the song "Watching TV" from his 1992 album Amused to Death. In 1996, Nevermore released the track titled "The Tiananmen Man" on their The Politics of Ecstasy album. The song is about the Tank Man who famously stood in front of the tanks in the Square. The song "Hypnotize" on the 2005 album Hypnotize by System Of A Down is based on the event.
In 2006 a Chinese folk singer Li Zhi wrote a song titled "The Square", where the sound of bullets and ambulance and voice of TAM mother Mrs. Ding were sampled.[94] In 2007 Hed PE wrote a song entitled "Tiananmen Squared" on their Insomnia album.
Calogero (French singer) also has a song called Tien An Men.
Portuguese band Kalashnikov has a song called Tiananmen Tiananmen. The chorus of the song says "Tiananmen Tiananmen, kill another yellow men"

In The Simpsons episode Goo Goo Gai Pan when the family visits Beijing, there is a plaque reading, "On this spot in 1989, nothing happened", in Tiananmen Square, a reference to the Chinese Government's denial and censorship of the protests.

Last edited:
The Olympic games provided a clear view of how much they are in need of change.

Clear need of change for whom? You ask any Chinese person if they want to change and 99% of them are happy they way they are. Let the Chinese worry about the Chinese.

Clear need of change for whom? You ask any Chinese person if they want to change and 99% of them are happy they way they are. Let the Chinese worry about the Chinese.

99%, HA! Where did you get load of BS? Tibet has a government in exile, human rights violations beyond compare and you say they are happy. LMFAO!

You need to go get yourself a nice warm cup of STFU because China is in need of people to worry for them since the government kills them if they try. You do not speak Chinese I bet. I bet you had no idea what my tag was until I told you, did you? I should have know when you referred to it as 64.

99%, HA! Where did you get load of BS? Tibet has a government in exile, human rights violations beyond compare and you say they are happy. LMFAO!

You need to go get yourself a nice warm cup of STFU because China is in need of people to worry for them since the government kills them if they try. You do not speak Chinese I bet. I bet you had no idea what my tag was until I told you, did you? I should have know when you referred to it as 64.

And all of this has what to do with DHL in the USA?

And so many come to the US because why.....

99% of Cubans and Mexicans must be really happy too.

I would say you been hanging on the left side just a bit to long chief. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back