• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta's domestic reductions.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amen brotha! It's time that the consumer finally pays for services rendered. It's going to sting a little at first, but I'm sure in the end the product's quality will speak for itself. Also, can anyone say salary cap on management?!

CM

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the airlines still fuel hedged to a certain degree? Certainly they aren't paying the full market rate for jet fuel. Why the sudden panic? Looks like a ploy to whack the employees for concessions again.

Yeah, you're right. I guess we should expect the dollar to remain at an all time low forever. I guess it's time to get off the grid, sell my house, move into the mountains and hunker down. Capitalism is dead. Bush has killed us all. I didn't realize that Iraq completely devalued the dollar and brought us such dire straights. I thought maybe it was more Fed policy over the last few decades, low interests, housing bubble, 9/11 etc that factored into a declining dollar. Silly me, it was the Iraq war...
Thank you Smacktard for saving me the trouble.

Haven't watched the market much have you? All the talk about supply vs demand is being heavily played up in favor of oil suppliers to get more investment into oil. Make lots of money in short time. There is enough supply to more than meet the demand right now and will be there for quite some time to come regardless of what is being played up. We had something similar go on the 70's. Oil was not quite as much factoring in inflation but the market had similar forces pushing it

Kudos Tarzan. You might also have mentions that with the stock market down and real estate in the tank commodities have been soaring, you have to put your money somewhere. Once the stock market bottoms and real estate starts to rebound watch gold and oil begin to fall.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the airlines still fuel hedged to a certain degree? Certainly they aren't paying the full market rate for jet fuel. Why the sudden panic? Looks like a ploy to whack the employees for concessions again.

United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp , had hedged 15 percent of its first-quarter fuel needs as of January 21. That compares with a 33 percent hedge for the year-ago quarter as of January 22, 2006.
Continental Airlines has hedged 20 percent of its first quarter fuel needs as of December 31. On the same day the previous year, it was 30 percent hedged for the first quarter.
Delta Air Lines was 26 percent hedged for the first quarter as of January 22. For the same period a year ago, Delta had hedged 52 percent of its fuel needs as of February 12.
Northwest Airlines had hedged 18 percent of its estimated 2008 jet fuel needs as of February 29. It was 40 percent hedged for 2007 as of February 28, 2007.
Even, Southwest Airlines , the industry's leading fuel hedger and also the most consistently profitable U.S. airline, faces eroding protection. As of mid-January, it was about 75 percent hedged for the first quarter, while in the same quarter last year it was nearly 100 percent hedged.

Dont understand why the airlines keep taking out the sh!tty economy out on their hard working employees? F*& @ the airlines... Pass the cost on the the consumer and take care of your freaking employees!

Amen brotha! It's time that the consumer finally pays for services rendered. It's going to sting a little at first, but I'm sure in the end the product's quality will speak for itself. Also, can anyone say salary cap on management?!
CM
In a perfect world, I agree. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the real world of supply and demand. If the cost of a product is jacked up, then demand for that product goes down. Airlines know all too well that raising ticket prices often leads to lower profit margins. When the economy softens, airline profits shrink, and employees get screwed. Always have, always will. That part of this industry sucks.

As airline employees, we need to save during the good times, and try our best to time any career jumps to avoid being at the bottom of the wrong list when the music stops.

Thank you Smacktard for saving me the trouble.

Kudos Tarzan. You might also have mentions that with the stock market down and real estate in the tank commodities have been soaring, you have to put your money somewhere. Once the stock market bottoms and real estate starts to rebound watch gold and oil begin to fall.

Oil down $5/barrel and gold down $63/oz right now....

It's important to understand that aside from the propaganda cool aid that management feeds us that "were all in this together" in the end they could care less about employess. Like most companies they are truely concerned about maximizing profits. If throwing a few thousand workers under a bus helps that cause they wont even blink.

Doubt it. The market will adjust to the current fuel prices. Once the oil bubble pops, the industry will be wide open again unless the unthinkable happens again.
Oil bubble?? I hope you dont believe this. Demand is actually down, production has stayed the same, yet prices continue to rise. This is due to a soft dollar. We will never ever see oil below 100 dollars a barrel, ever. In fact many still feel that oil is undervalued, the true price will be around 200 a barrel, then it will level off.
I believe anyone hired at ASA in the last few months will soon be furloughed.

The oil bubble will pop as soon as Bombardier announces their as-yet secret hybrid 50-seat RJ.

Burns 100 pph at 0.85 using regenerative lav-flush and beverage-cart technology.

AND....best-of-all....it will be single-pilot certified!

Oil bubble?? I hope you dont believe this. Demand is actually down, production has stayed the same, yet prices continue to rise. This is due to a soft dollar. We will never ever see oil below 100 dollars a barrel, ever. In fact many still feel that oil is undervalued, the true price will be around 200 a barrel, then it will level off.
I believe anyone hired at ASA in the last few months will soon be furloughed.

Oil is at $100.80 right now. Just fell another $4 so far today. Talk about doom and gloom... I bet you're a blast to fly with

Latest resources

Back