Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Twotter76

Masterless Samurai
After I got bumped off a half full 737 2 minutes prior to departure yesterday by a mainline DL guy (who could have non-reved for free!) I found myself with some free time to contemplate the future while I waited for the next flight (fortunately Comair where this BS does not happen). Didn't I hear somewhere that unlimited JS was one of things that you Delta people were trying to get as part of that most unfortunate paycut you just took? Did that not go through? Any hope of it being implemented in the future? Any news on that front? As always whenever you need a ride come on over to my airline where we will take as many of you as show up and you will be gladly welcomed. God knows that commuting is difficult enough on all of us without the added headache of fighting with other guys for the same seat...

Let's move this to the top because I have been wondering the same thing.

Hmmmm. That does $uck. I can't believe the DL jump didn't take a seat in the back and allow you the "jumpseat." I would have sought him out at the gate (counter) and asked him for help, maybe he didn't know you needed a ride? As far as unlimited jumpseats, YOU WOULD THINK, after giving $1 billion a year in savings for 7 years (5 plus 2 for negotiating)--we would get unlimited jumpseats. It is my understanding that we did get that and that CASS would be online by the end of the year(?). I will have to look that up on our DALPA message board to see what we got in return for EVERYTHING.

So, SORRY that you were bumped, and I hope it doesn't happen again. There is NO REASON why that Delta pilot should not have given you the jump and just used a free pass to go in the back. No excuse there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I just looked it up, and according to the "contract people" we DID agree to unlimited flowback of jumpseat with the company, but did NOT get a specific start date. But, we did get a CASS start date, of Aug 11th, 2005. So, I guess we will eventually get unlimited jumpseaters some time in the future, but any CASS participating airlines will have access to our cockpit jumpseat in August.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Well that is good news at least. As to the individual who bumped me who, he knew I was there and did it anyway. But the actions of one individual do not define the pilot group as a whole. I am not angry and as always welcome Delta pilots on our jumpseat. I just hope that my airline will have CASS soon so I can use it too.

just had the best JS experience on Delta yesterday. Captain was as nice as could be and was going to give me first class but it filled up. The FA's gave me free headsets (movie flight) and a bunch of water bottles. They also Kept checking up on me to see if I needed anything. Kudo's to all the fine employees at Delta..

I agree. I commute from ATL to DTW on Delta all the time and I've never had any problems. The rare times that a DAL pilot is also riding, he has always offered to use a pass to help me get on. Of course, it would be nice to have unlimited JS just in case, but I really haven't had much trouble on my commute. Thanks to all the DAL guys that always help out. It's much better than riding on NW where the -9 guys hate us PCL "commuter trash."

Hopefully you won't come across those "Deltoids" who treat people poorly. If you ask for his/her help and he/she doesn't help you on purpose, then he/she really is an a$$. I bet every airline has some of those. Most of our people are really nice and will help jumpseaters. And, remember that some domestic 767-300ERs have two jumpseats in the cockpit----so two are allowed in the back also. Same goes with the 764 and 777 (on ATL-MCO flights for the 777). Good luck to everyone and don't be afraid to ask if you see a Delta pilot ask for the jumpseat at the last moment or if he/she has a jumpseat reservation.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Delta is usually great, but not always.

Hey General, I just wanted to you to know that the same thing has happened to me. I was trying to jumpseat home and a Delta pilot took the actual jumpseat instead of using his pass privilages. There were many open seats in the back and I was there over an hour before departure. The gate agent said that since there was a delta pilot in the actual jumpseat that she would be unable to get me on. This entire conversation took place right infront of the Delta pilot and he just said better luck next time. Not to professional if you ask me.

However, most Delta pilots have been more than accomodating in welcoming me aboard. In addition, most of your flight attendants have been great. I have had several move me from coach, where the gate agent told me to sit, and put me in either first class or business class. What a nice gesture on their part. Please, spread the word that the jumpseat in not a place to preach or use as some sort of vindictive tool. We all need our jumpseat privilages on many different airlines to get to and from work, and it should be kept as professional as possible.

Just as a side note on this conversation, jetBlue always welcomes as many jumpseaters as we have seats available for, including, two extra flight attendant jumpseats in the cabin. We also participate in the CASS program and when Delta joins the program, we have an additional two jumpseats in the cockpit. We also extend cabin jumpseat privilages to any flight attendant from any 121 carrier on our reciprocal jumpseat list. Hopefully, every airline will be able to extend the same privilages to our flight attendants and pilots some day.

Cheers!

Latest resources

Back