• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta unlimited JS? Progress?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I apologize to those who had a bad experience on DL...like other carriers we have our share of "tools" as well. Personally, when I'm advised that an OAL J/S'r wants the J/S, I seek out that individual and tell them the J/S seat is theirs. I always advise the gate agent that if an OAL J/S'r shows up and there's room I'll take a seat in the back.

As a commuter I know how difficult life can be. It's nice when another carriers employees treat you as one of their own and take care of you. In particular I'd like to thank America West and SWA. You guys are a class act. During my short flight (PHX-LAS) on SWA yesterday, I was pondering the stark differences between our 2 carriers and came to the conclusion that DL is doomed (maybe that's a little extreme). After dealing with the ice storms in ATL and watching how we treated the pax...very dissapointing to say the least.

Anyway, I look forward to when we can accomodate more J/S'rs. Sorry it's not sooner. Welcome aboard.

I am sure the SW passengers would have been treated the same way if PHX had a huge ice storm that cancelled 800 flights in one day. (Maybe not that many in PHX for SW) Our gate agents were probably over stressed, since other gate agents couldn't get to the airport with the ice on the roads. People can't always react well when they are stressed and over tired. Delta tried to re-route as many people as possible thru CVG instead, but some people were stuck. I bet our people did the best they could under the tough circumstances, and I do agree--that SW people are usually very nice. But, under bad circumstances, even they may turn mean in an ice storm with angry passengers.

I was in FLL, so the ice I had to deal with was in my glass, on the beach.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Can somebody please tell me if I correctly understand Delta's JS policy?

The way I understand it, the total number of seats authorized to be released to offline jumpseaters equals the number of jumpseats available in the cockpit. Therefore, if the jet has 1 jumpseat or 2 on the flight deck, then that flight will only be authorized to take, respectively, 1 or 2 offline jumpseaters. So, even if there are 100 open seats in the cabin, Delta will still take only as many offline jumpseaters as there are jumpseats available in the front.

Is this correct? If this is correct, then what is the rationale and the logic behind it. It certainly does not seem to make any sense.

While on the topic of jumpseats:

Is AirTran still charging for any JS'ers over 1?

SWA is only unlimited for certain airlines I guess? My airlines takes unlimited, but Southwest will only take a max of two of our guys on any flight (even with open seats). I guess this is something that the resepctive jumpseat coordinators have to work out? Or is this a gate agent thing?

USAir still unlimited?

Delville,

That is correct. Why? I don't know. But, we just agreed to have unlimited jumpseats, but at a time of Delta's choosing. (I know, that sounds dumb) I believe Delta will work out agreements with different airlines one by one---and AA and SW are first. Also, we will have CASS working in August, according to the last agreement.

Bye Bye--General Lee

"But, we just agreed to have unlimited jumpseats, but at a time of Delta's choosing."

Does that mean, that you get to take the paycut at a time of your choosing?

Sorry, had to razz you a bit, but it would seem, that now Mother Delta has what it wants, the unlimited gets put on the back burner. I do not use DAL, but I understand the crews are great.

I probably stated that wrong. Delta will have to eventually allow that, but I don't know the exact date. It was agreed upon, and AA and SW are the first airlines we will negotiate with to get unlimted jumps, I believe. But, the CASS deal should go through by Aug.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Delville said:
Can somebody please tell me if I correctly understand Delta's JS policy?

The way I understand it, the total number of seats authorized to be released to offline jumpseaters equals the number of jumpseats available in the cockpit. Therefore, if the jet has 1 jumpseat or 2 on the flight deck, then that flight will only be authorized to take, respectively, 1 or 2 offline jumpseaters. So, even if there are 100 open seats in the cabin, Delta will still take only as many offline jumpseaters as there are jumpseats available in the front.

Is this correct? .

That is absolutely correct.

[/QUOTE]If this is correct, then what is the rationale and the logic behind it. It certainly does not seem to make any sense.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Our mgmt has always tried to figure out ways to make the pilots angry--even when it makes no sense whatsoever. Don't forget: until 1996, we didn't even have the jumpseat for OURSELVES, much less any other pilot group. Any improvement to the JS comes despite the most annoying foot-dragging on the part of mgmt. That said, we are always happy to accomodate offline JSers. I hope any Delta JS experience you have is a great one!

1. Why would any DL pilot list for the JS instead of using their pass privileges? Is it just to ensure a cockpit seat if the cabin fills up? I have always just non-revved and only asked for the JS if I knew there might not be a seat in the back for me. DL assigns the cockpit JS by seniority anyway, so there is no issue with who shows up first.

2. Why would unlimited JS need to be negotiated with your company? Is it somehow costing them money to allow someone to ride in an empty seat? Do they think pilots are going to plunk down a last minute fare? One would think that all companies could save money by allowing unlimited JS, allowing us all to get to work.

3. We routinely haul 2 or 3 OAL JS riders from airlines who do not reciprocate. Maybe if we cut that off, other pilot groups would push a little harder to return the favor. Seems like unlimited JS should go both ways.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back