• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta travel priviledges

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scheduling supposedly got whacked by mainline for doing this and it seems like NRPS commute option is out the window. When our trips don't pass through our domicile (DTW) in all 4 days, save for the 1st outbound and last inbound, making any above-and-beyond (beyond the 2 options) effort will only get you rewarded displacement, reserve, or some other $crew-job instead of catching back up with the trip with just having missed an out-n-back or so.

If DL wants mom/dad/kiddos/retirees to get to their leisure destination and a wholly-owned subsidiary pilot to miss the flight...more power to 'em!

I really do not see what the big deal is. After Delta changed our priority, I changed my attitude. If Delta wanted me to get to work to fly 20 flights in 4 days then they will make it happen. If you care enough to call them (I did not), they will give you positive space to prevent cancelling all of those flights. Then you can get on an airplane ahead of the #1 pilot at Delta, again, if getting to work is that important to you.

I would show up to the gate, get treated like s.... by Delta gate agents, miss my two flights and go home. If 20 Delta Connection flights are cancelled in four days because I could not get to work, more reason for me to celebrate on my extra days off work! F...Delta!!!

If a flight cancells then I believe your DCI carrier should look into why you could not get to work. They do not make you live out of base. YOu decided to. So the blame should and will come down to you.

When you took the job at an DCI carrier did you not know that delta could move flying around? .

I get it now... Everything is the regionals guys fault. When all the DCI open and close their based because DEALTA wants the flying here or there, and because we can't pack up and spend thousands of dollars in moving expense. Having to sell and buy a new house, or breaking a lease. Since not everyone can do that, we HAVE to commute for whatever and can't get to work it our fault... Delta choose to put us behind their retirees. We didn't, but since all those retirees to go in front of us it's our fault for not being able to get on a Delta's flights? Like I said before I will choose another airline to J/S over Delta since I don't agree with thier priority, and I prefer how I get treated on UAL, Frontier, and Sothwest. I'll pass on Delta.

Sorry, but I didn't signed up to be a DCI pilot. I was flying for Northwest who I knew always had MEM, MSP and DTW. I didn't have to worry about getting kicked out of one of those bases. We didn't start seeing guys getting moved around all over the place til Delta took over.

Scheduling supposedly got whacked by mainline for doing this and it seems like NRPS commute option is out the window. When our trips don't pass through our domicile (DTW) in all 4 days, save for the 1st outbound and last inbound, making any above-and-beyond (beyond the 2 options) effort will only get you rewarded displacement, reserve, or some other $crew-job instead of catching back up with the trip with just having missed an out-n-back or so.
Ah, this is not the case at Comair, if that is where you are. Scheduling would love for you to believe that you are on reserve if you call in commuter, but they have to displace you (DS) for the rest of your trip. You are pay protected once you get to CVG or DTW.

Ah, this is not the case at Comair, if that is where you are. Scheduling would love for you to believe that you are on reserve if you call in commuter, but they have to displace you (DS) for the rest of your trip. You are pay protected once you get to CVG or DTW.

Yeah, but then once on DS, you have to hang around unless you're extremely lucky and can commute when a trip is assigned in your DS window. Kind of like a really short long-call! No thanks!

So, Actually as you stated it is a Pinnacle(DCI) problem not Delta's. As a DCI employee you work for Pinnacle not Delta and have a contract with Pinnacle. So, the pass/cummuting problems should be blamed on your company not mainline. It is your company that makes the commuting policies for there employees, correct?

Not correct, it's Delta's policies. Heck we have a clause in our contract that states any deadhead over 3.5 hours will be in first class as long as it is allowed by the mainline partner. Guess how many times I have been in first on those flights, 0.
Delta makes the policies for nonrev and pos space travel for us. We have basically no say in it. It's dictated and we are clearly NOT partners to Delta, we are pawns. Numerous times I have had to wait for later flights going home (positive space back to domicile) because when scheduling went to build my reserve trip and book my deadhead on the first (and a couple times second) available flight home it was already oversold and per Delta policy, they then cannot book me on the flight. Delta doesn't care if I ever get home even on a working trip.

Yeah, but then once on DS, you have to hang around unless you're extremely lucky and can commute when a trip is assigned in your DS window. Kind of like a really short long-call! No thanks!
The last guy I flew with called in commuter for the first leg (trip didn't come back to DTW until the last day). Sked wanted to give him a reserve window and he said "okay - just put a 'DS' on my line so I am pay protected." They then decided to DH him to the overnight to meet the trip the next day, complete with credit for everything he would have flown other than the first leg. YMMV.

Not correct, it's Delta's policies. Heck we have a clause in our contract that states any deadhead over 3.5 hours will be in first class as long as it is allowed by the mainline partner. Guess how many times I have been in first on those flights, 0.
Delta makes the policies for nonrev and pos space travel for us. We have basically no say in it. It's dictated and we are clearly NOT partners to Delta, we are pawns. Numerous times I have had to wait for later flights going home (positive space back to domicile) because when scheduling went to build my reserve trip and book my deadhead on the first (and a couple times second) available flight home it was already oversold and per Delta policy, they then cannot book me on the flight. Delta doesn't care if I ever get home even on a working trip.

Elite and paying passengers should always go above DH crew members in first class. I believe DALPA contracts states that also about DH in first also. Who do you believe should go in first Delta pilots or you on Delta flights. I did not mean the non rev policy. I was talking about the Call in honest policy of the DCI companies. That is the policy/contract that you guys have with your companies. Just like at any mainline companies have it in there FOM or PWA.
I understand your frustration about not getting back to your base at the end of your trip. However, Delta is looking out for there paying passengers and the expense of bumbing them instead of a crew member.

Elite and paying passengers should always go above DH crew members in first class. I believe DALPA contracts states that also about DH in first also. Who do you believe should go in first Delta pilots or you on Delta flights. I did not mean the non rev policy. I was talking about the Call in honest policy of the DCI companies. That is the policy/contract that you guys have with your companies. Just like at any mainline companies have it in there FOM or PWA.
I understand your frustration about not getting back to your base at the end of your trip. However, Delta is looking out for there paying passengers and the expense of bumbing them instead of a crew member.

I would expect on mainline (though not on my own airlines') those pilots would get first initially. I also wouldn't expect to bump a passenger buying a first class seat out of it.
As for looking out for paying passengers, that ship seems to have sailed long before the NWA merger, and most Diamond and Platinums I have talked to agree. Also, have you ever heard of taking care of the employees that take care of your passengers? Seems to work great for Southwest. The alternative, well look at the rest of the US airline industry.

FYI domestically DAL DH's are supposed to get certain seats depending on the length of the leg. I'm pretty sure we go behind non revs for 1st class, at least we did at NWA and friend told me its the same. If you DH over an ocean it is always 1st.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back