• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to put 100 Rj's to the desert

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're really stretching your imagination. All the info from our MEC and the new DAL management team totally disagrees with what you just posted. After DCC, you'll start to see the DC-9 in ATL replacing 50's. This was stated by both our MEC and management.

You may not see 50's in the desert, but you will see a reduction in their flying(hence "equivalent"). DAL seems to be developing a good plan that does not include 50 seaters. It DOES include the -40 and -50 DC-9's(for the next few years). DAL also likes the A330. They DO NOT like the 787, so we will see what happens with the orders. New 737-700 (first one just delivered) and new 777 will both be a big player. You will also start to see 747-400 in ATL and 767 in DTW and MSP(that synergy thing...).

The above was stated by both DAL and our MEC's. This may change but it looks like the direction things are moving. RA is a sharp guy, looks like we are all giving him a chance. "Trust but verify".

Dont forget A320's out of CVG ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rivoli
There is no break even load factor on a DC-9 with $4 jet fuel. Forget %, how many seats can you sell.

How do you know this?

Oh right, you're just making it up.

You wish. I'm talking in general terms. Have you noticed that every legacy not currently involved in a merger is reducing domestic narrow body capacity. United for example is parking all of their 737's while expanding the use of CRJ's. Sorry if you career expectations are in decline, but denial is never a good stragety.

Glen Hauenstein (Jul 9, 2008 2:17:37 PM)
The DC9 is a very interesting airplane in that its size fills a large void in the
DL network. We currently go from 75 seat regional jet to a 141 seat MD88
with nothing in-between. The number of DC9's we can effectively use will
depend on where fuel levels out since they are very inexpensive airplanes
to own, but expensive to fly since they are very heavy with old generation
engines.

Last edited:
You wish. I'm talking in general terms. Have you noticed that every legacy not currently involved in a merger is reducing domestic narrow body capacity. United for example is parking all of their 737's while expanding the use of CRJ's. Sorry if you career expectations are in decline, but denial is never a good stragety.

Sorry Jon, in general terms, the new DAL is NOT comparable to UAL. DAL is in excellent shape compared to UAL. Read my link above and it will shed some light on your questions. DC-9 will be parked soon, but for the short term it fills a gap that DAL needs filled.

See the edited post above referencing your link. The most significant difference between DAL and UAL is a pending merger and SLI, that more than anything is what is keeping the DC-9's around.

See the edited post above referencing your link. I provided the rest of the quote The most significant difference between DAL and UAL is a pending merger and SLI, that more than anything is what is keeping the DC-9's around.No, the DC-9 fills a temporary void for DAL. The TA is being voted on as we speak. The SLI is being negotiated and will be done by NOV at the latest. The DC-9-40 and -50 are not as bad as you think(cost wise), unless fuel goes higher(which it may). We shall see what the new DAL's plan is after DCC but I think it will not change too much.

"The DC9 is a very interesting airplane in that its size fills a large void in the
DL network. We currently go from 75 seat regional jet to a 141 seat MD88
with nothing in-between."

Jon, you left out the first part of the quote, therefore misrepresenting it.

DC9 Economics

Glen Hauenstein (Jul 9, 2008 2:17:37 PM)
The DC9 is a very interesting airplane in that its size fills a large void in the DL network. We currently go from 75 seat regional jet to a 141 seat MD88 with nothing in-between. The number of DC9's we can effectively use will depend on where fuel levels out since they are very inexpensive airplanes to own, but expensive to fly since they are very heavy with old generation engines. Northwest has already announced a significant reduction in their DC9 fleet, and we will make adjustments to that plan as market conditions change one way or the other on fuel and demand.

Sounds pretty streight forward to me so I am not sure what the above poster is getting at in terms of DC9 profitability. Bottom line, there will be a reduction in RJ AND DC9 service and the only thing we can do is wait and see what happens.

Latest resources

Back