Delta to put 100 Rj's to the desert

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
don't even compare RJ's to a 9

The problem is that you can't sell enough tickets for enough money for a DC-9 or MD-80 to make money so they price the tickets to lose the least amount possible. Set the price where it needs to be to make money and your 140 seat plane goes out half empty, but an RJ would be full AND MAKING MONEY. Look at what other legacy carriers are doing, slashing domestic narrow body capacity. Right now RA is cutting capacity where he can with out jeopardising the merger.

Once again, I can understand people being defensive over the RJ's because of job security and watching them being parked. But in fact, the DC-9 has a lower break even load factor % than the RJ's. They are NW's highest profit margin aircraft. But when flying slows down, they can park a 9 and not lose money on lease payments...its lose-lose

Its funny how CRJ kids think they know everything about the 9...and stop telling people you fly the 9 when its the CL-65 CRJ 900

Whats even more funny is DC-9/corporate guys who think they know everything about CRJs.

But in fact, the DC-9 has a lower break even load factor % than the RJ's.

Care to support this statement? After all, you know everything about airline economics.

Last edited:
Your highlights missed two important sentences..."This may change but it looks like the direction things are moving". And..."Trust but verify".

I posted info from people who are "in the know". You post your personal opinion based on guesses as well as being offended that people say some ASA flying will be cut. You WILL see 50 seat flying reduced. The 76 seat flying will stay as will the DC-9 flying as stated in my previous post.

Things are going relatively smooth so far, hopefully this will continue. I posted stated facts. This doesn't mean things won't change, I'm not that naive.

Keep guessing, your thoughts are entertaining.
ok. I'll meet you back here in about 18 months. we'll take another look at things then.

for the record; I have no desire to see anyone lose a job (well, with the exception of a very few specific individuals).

and another thing; because it was "stated" by someone "in the know" NEVER means its a fact or that it'll happen.....just so you know...I'm happy to entertain/inform you.

and oh yeah BTW; if you are getting info from people "in the know" I'd be careful about saying so on public forums.....if they truly are high enough to know, they have no doubt signed non-disclosure agreements....I'd hate for you to get someone in hot water trying to impress a bunch of scum on the bottom of your shoe RJ pilots.....

Unlike you, I've worked for a Richard run company. You take anything he tells anyone at face value and you're likely to get your feelings hurt.

You also keep beating the "RJ's can't make a profit" drum. I guess you missed the ABC story comparing the two (RJ vs. 757). Neither made money but, the RJ lost less.....

OH Give me a break! So you think 50 seat RJs are profitable? I guess you are the ONLY one, and ABC of course...., to think so. Riiiiight. It's about who can make MORE money. 5 RJ flights a day or 2 mainline? I think the mainline flights win, and so does your BOSS. Well, a lot of the RJs will be parked, and sooner than the MD88s and DC9s you are talking about. Yes, some DC9-30s are scheduled to go to the boneyard, but they will be in holding above the field due to the long string of RJs on final. And why are your ATRs going away too? That is something I don't really understand. You would think that large turboprops would be kept, or replaced with Dash-8-400s. It looks like now some of those RJ routes will be replaced with DC9-40s or -50s.

Bye Bye--General Lee

ok. I'll meet you back here in about 18 months. we'll take another look at things then.

for the record; I have no desire to see anyone lose a job (well, with the exception of a very few specific individuals).

and another thing; because it was "stated" by someone "in the know" NEVER means its a fact or that it'll happen.....just so you know...I'm happy to entertain/inform you.

and oh yeah BTW; if you are getting info from people "in the know" I'd be careful about saying so on public forums.....if they truly are high enough to know, they have no doubt signed non-disclosure agreements....I'd hate for you to get someone in hot water trying to impress a bunch of scum on the bottom of your shoe RJ pilots.....

You might be an FO in 18 months, you never know. And, everyone can speculate on this board, and people can read about possible future plans in the quarterly reports. I highly doubt anything "secret" is divulged here.

Bye Bye--General Lee

ok. I'll meet you back here in about 18 months. we'll take another look at things then. DEAL!

for the record; I have no desire to see anyone lose a job (well, with the exception of a very few specific individuals). Me too, I've already experienced a furlough.

and another thing; because it was "stated" by someone "in the know" NEVER means its a fact or that it'll happen.....just so you know...I'm happy to entertain/inform you.Entertain yes, inform, not even close! You seem to pick bits and pieces of my post and use it to prove a weak point.

Are you stupid, or do you just like to twist words? We had several road shows that were very informative. The people who spoke at the road show ARE "in the know".

Keep up the amusement, your ignorance is still making me laugh!

OH Give me a break! So you think 50 seat RJs are profitable? I guess you are the ONLY one, and ABC of course...., to think so. Riiiiight. It's about who can make MORE money. 5 RJ flights a day or 2 mainline? I think the mainline flights win, and so does your BOSS. Well, a lot of the RJs will be parked, and sooner than the MD88s and DC9s you are talking about. Yes, some DC9-30s are scheduled to go to the boneyard, but they will be in holding above the field due to the long string of RJs on final. And why are your ATRs going away too? That is something I don't really understand. You would think that large turboprops would be kept, or replaced with Dash-8-400s. It looks like now some of those RJ routes will be replaced with DC9-40s or -50s.

Bye Bye--General Lee
i have to agree with you on one thing.....the ATR thing baffles me. But then what do I know. Richard has it figured out. I hope.
And if he doesn't, we're so lucky that he has you to make up for his mistakes and save Delta.

Thanks General. I don't know how our companies would survive without you......

Are you stupid, or do you just like to twist words? We had several road shows that were very informative. The people who spoke at the road show ARE "in the know".

Keep up the amusement, your ignorance is still making me laugh!
18 months.

Once again, I can understand people being defensive over the RJ's because of job security and watching them being parked. But in fact, the DC-9 has a lower break even load factor % than the RJ's.

There is no break even load factor on a DC-9 with $4 jet fuel. Forget %, how many seats can you sell.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back