• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to put 100 Rj's to the desert

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look for a good number to come from ASA. My guess I 25. I've heard 91 50's from a couple sources. Remember, 80% of less is less. People think ASA can't be downsized in ATL are flat wrong.

Hugh reductions are coming! 100 planes is a lot. Spread over 5 or 6 carriers is a lot for each, even if evenly spread.

79%N1 = ASA's in-house chicken little.

"lease returns, decreased utilization and changes in contractual arrangements" is how they will do this.

Hmm, nope, no RJs going to the desert.

Richard Anderson stated recently that we will be keeping all of the larger DC9s (-40 and -50 series---41 of them will stay) until 2012, and I haven't seen anything about when the MD88s will be gone. 20 DC9-30s will be parked soon though, probably after the 1st of the year. Unfortunately 100 50 seat RJs sounds about right, and we all know they don't make money in a high fuel environment.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Unlike you, I've worked for a Richard run company. You take anything he tells anyone at face value and you're likely to get your feelings hurt.

You also keep beating the "RJ's can't make a profit" drum. I guess you missed the ABC story comparing the two (RJ vs. 757). Neither made money but, the RJ lost less.....

Unlike you, I've worked for a Richard run company. You take anything he tells anyone at face value and you're likely to get your feelings hurt.

You also keep beating the "RJ's can't make a profit" drum. I guess you missed the ABC story comparing the two (RJ vs. 757). Neither made money but, the RJ lost less.....

Yeah, look at how many seats on a DC9 have to be sold on an hour long flight to make a profit. Then look at how many seats on an RJ need to be sold on the same flight to break a profit. The only thing going for the DC9 is that it is paid for. However, you can't fly an airframe forever. It will be paid off when it's 50 years old too, however it will soon become too much of a liability if you ask me.

Yeah, look at how many seats on a DC9 have to be sold on an hour long flight to make a profit. Then look at how many seats on an RJ need to be sold on the same flight to break a profit. The only thing going for the DC9 is that it is paid for. However, you can't fly an airframe forever. It will be paid off when it's 50 years old too, however it will soon become too much of a liability if you ask me.

You're really stretching your imagination. All the info from our MEC and the new DAL management team totally disagrees with what you just posted. After DCC, you'll start to see the DC-9 in ATL replacing 50's. This was stated by both our MEC and management.

You may not see 50's in the desert, but you will see a reduction in their flying(hence "equivalent"). DAL seems to be developing a good plan that does not include 50 seaters. It DOES include the -40 and -50 DC-9's(for the next few years). DAL also likes the A330. They DO NOT like the 787, so we will see what happens with the orders. New 737-700 (first one just delivered) and new 777 will both be a big player. You will also start to see 747-400 in ATL and 767 in DTW and MSP(that synergy thing...).

The above was stated by both DAL and our MEC's. This may change but it looks like the direction things are moving. RA is a sharp guy, looks like we are all giving him a chance. "Trust but verify".

Last edited:
Your source? ASA may make a contribution--but it will not be a "good number!"

ATL is the fortress. There will not be much change there. CVG, SLC, and MEM is another story!

What's a "Hugh" reduction?
Your guess is "I 25"? Please translate.

Drinking and Keyboarding don't Mix!

Sorry....typo. My guess "Is" 25, because I have heard (and hope I'm wrong) that is how many planes, or "equivalant" are coming from ASA. Whether or not it is DC-9's, more 76 seaters from Pinnacle, or just an overall reduction of 50 seaters, IMHO I think ASA is one of a few (Comair, CHQ, Freedom and already ExpressJet) that are about to be whacked. Don't forget, there is a mege also in play here, not just high fuel costs. Remember the word 'synergies'. I think Delta is really going to trim the flying.

If not a large chunk from ASA, where do you guys see 100 RJ's coming from? You seem to think we are insulated due to ATL being a fortress, etc. I disagree. I hope, though, you are right.

Until the merger is done and the seniority lists are merged of course they are going to only park RJ's and not DC-9's. Once merged, Oh jee, sorry fella's. This or that changed and those -9's are beer cans faster than you can say furlough. It amuses me no end how when management tells you what you want to hear you swallow it hook line and sinker, but during contract negotiation they are lying bastards. Hint, they are lying to you now. If they told the truth this whole merger would implode in a heartbeat.

The problem is that you can't sell enough tickets for enough money for a DC-9 or MD-80 to make money so they price the tickets to lose the least amount possible. Set the price where it needs to be to make money and your 140 seat plane goes out half empty, but an RJ would be full AND MAKING MONEY. Look at what other legacy carriers are doing, slashing domestic narrow body capacity. Right now RA is cutting capacity where he can with out jeopardising the merger.

You're really stretching your imagination. All the info from our MEC and the new DAL management team totally disagrees with what you just posted. After DCC, you'll start to see the DC-9 in ATL replacing 50's. This was stated by both our MEC and management.

You may not see 50's in the desert, but you will see a reduction in their flying(hence "equivalent"). DAL seems to be developing a good plan that does not include 50 seaters. It DOES include the -40 and -50 DC-9's(for the next few years). DAL also likes the A330. They DO NOT like the 787, so we will see what happens with the orders. New 737-700 (first one just delivered) and new 777 will both be a big player. You will also start to see 747-400 in ATL and 767 in DTW and MSP(that synergy thing...).

The above was stated by both DAL and our MEC's.
This may change but it looks like the direction things are moving. RA is a sharp guy, looks like we are all giving him a chance. "Trust but verify".
and we know from our history lessons that both of those entities ALWAYS tell the truth (as opposed to what they think you want to hear)......"we have no plans for a merger with ________ (insert airline here)".....ooops. but hey, if it makes your day better.....

yep, you're right. RA is a really sharp guy. He did a wonderful job wtih NW and took them to the absolute top of the airline industry (yeah)...bailed with one heck of a great golden (or was it platinum) chute.....now hes appearing at an airline in your neighborhood.....all I can say is....BOHICA.

tool

Its funny how CRJ kids think they know everything about the 9...and stop telling people you fly the 9 when its the CL-65 CRJ 900

and we know from our history lessons that both of those entities ALWAYS tell the truth (as opposed to what they think you want to hear)......"we have no plans for a merger with ________ (insert airline here)".....ooops. but hey, if it makes your day better.....

yep, you're right. RA is a really sharp guy. He did a wonderful job wtih NW and took them to the absolute top of the airline industry (yeah)...bailed with one heck of a great golden (or was it platinum) chute.....now hes appearing at an airline in your neighborhood.....all I can say to my boyfriend is BOHICA.

Your highlights missed two important sentences..."This may change but it looks like the direction things are moving". And..."Trust but verify".

I posted info from people who are "in the know". You post your personal opinion based on guesses as well as being offended that people say some ASA flying will be cut. You WILL see 50 seat flying reduced. The 76 seat flying will stay as will the DC-9 flying as stated in my previous post.

Things are going relatively smooth so far, hopefully this will continue. I posted stated facts. This doesn't mean things won't change, I'm not that naive.

Keep guessing, your thoughts are entertaining.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back