Delta to Drop CHQ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Thanks for the ego boost. Seriously though, I do not dislike any particular SkyWest pilot (and I have a buddy out there in SLC who flies for SKYW), but rather I dislike the recent choices made by your group as a whole. Your group made the choice for growth without getting paid what you deserve for different sized jets. That set the new standard, and now Comair had to follow. Your group sounds giddy like "a little school girl" over the possibility of larger RJs, yet still under the 50 seat pay scale. Please excuse me if I sound like I dislike that, because I DO. Then your senior guys mostly started to avoid that CR7 because of the pay deal, which is really what the company wanted anyway. You see, now they upgrade people and make them take the CR7 conversion training, and then put them in the left seat, at an actual LOWER rate--since most have less longevity at the company. So, a 5 year Captain flies a larger plane for less per hour than a 10 year guy who avoids it. What a mess. But, your CFO feels INSULATED from the threat of higher gas bills, and higher labor costs. Sounds like he deserves a HUGE BONUS. Again, I do not dislike any particular SkyWest guys, well maybe CFIT, and Dave Benjamin took the wheenie way out instead of debating me, but other than those guys, I think you guys are swell.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Why dont you give skywest a break. Everyone but you realize skywest is a great company. Employees like working for them, their investors are happy, and they deliver a quality product (i.e. on-time performance/completion factor). Everyone gets on them about not having a union. yet their work rules are better than most ALPA regional carriers. The no union argument should come into play if and when 90 seaters show up and the payrates are the same. or when the company starts taking away QOL issues and pay. But unitl then we should just sit back and watch. you can say your i told you so's then. Alpa or any other union isnt a magic pill. Look at pinnacle, mesa, and TSA. And Comair didnt take paycuts because of skyw. its because they are tied to delta and their BK. ASA hasnt ahd to take paycuts. their pay was almost as high.

And let it ago about the 1 payrate. Its not as bad as you make it out to be. I have thought about the 1 payrate issue and here is my question, doesnt the majors do it? at NW, I am pretty sure they get paid the same on the A319 and the A320, yet there is a 24 seat difference. On the 757-200 and the 757-300, pay is the same but there is about a 40 seats more on the -300.

GLee, on delta is the pay the same on the 737-200 and the 300? 300 has 28 seats more. the 767-200 seats 204 and the -300 seats 252.

I agree that regionals are underpaid and because of it, mainline wants to outsource it. I definitely think we should get paid more. But isnt it hypocritical to damn skywest for flying 70 seat and 50 seat planes for the same rate. PSA flies the same -200 and -700 CRJ and they have blended rate. and its much less than skywest. yet PSA doesnt catch crap because they are union? give me a break

Last edited:
jumppilot said:
Just heard from CHQ peeps that mother Delta is looking to drop CHQ due to costs. Not sure if this is the real deal or not, but word around the crewroom is that Bedford is going to ATL next week to negotiate rates and future business.

Anyone else heard this?

Sounds like the broomstick is just getting lubed up. I guess I'd put my money on CHQ pilots as the next group to get approached w/ paycuts.

Rogue5 said:
Big words considering DAL's come at you guys repeatedly as of late and DALPA has proven themselves to be "Once, twice, [dare we say] THREE TIMES A LADY!"

Well said.

I hereby challenge anyone to read one of the General's posts and not think of a dog licking his balls.........

General Lee said:
Thanks for the ego boost. Seriously though, I do not dislike any particular SkyWest pilot (and I have a buddy out there in SLC who flies for SKYW), but rather I dislike the recent choices made by your group as a whole. Your group made the choice for growth without getting paid what you deserve for different sized jets. That set the new standard, and now Comair had to follow. Your group sounds giddy like "a little school girl" over the possibility of larger RJs, yet still under the 50 seat pay scale. Please excuse me if I sound like I dislike that, because I DO. Then your senior guys mostly started to avoid that CR7 because of the pay deal, which is really what the company wanted anyway. You see, now they upgrade people and make them take the CR7 conversion training, and then put them in the left seat, at an actual LOWER rate--since most have less longevity at the company. So, a 5 year Captain flies a larger plane for less per hour than a 10 year guy who avoids it. What a mess. But, your CFO feels INSULATED from the threat of higher gas bills, and higher labor costs. Sounds like he deserves a HUGE BONUS. Again, I do not dislike any particular SkyWest guys, well maybe CFIT, and Dave Benjamin took the wheenie way out instead of debating me, but other than those guys, I think you guys are swell.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I've been trying not to respond to you but just couldn't "hold back" any longer. By your own logic, this means that the Senior guys are all bidding the 50 seater, and since we're senior we are at the top of the payscale so Jerry is paying top dollar on the smaller airplane!??

kngarthur said:
I heard from a ramper that Delta has been very upset with CHQ's ontime performance. And now "hates" them!!! Yes, I mean personally "hates" every single CHQ pilot out there. Ramper also said that Delta now loves Mesa ,and will pursue a contract that will lead to a new more "fullfilling" operation.

What I want to know is who this "Delta" person is?

Our on-time Performance is low on the E170 because we have ACARS. If we could call in our times we would always be out 5 early. (execpt Freedom, no Block or better) If we get the paper work at Departure we would love to call it OT, be we can't. All doors closed (including cargo doors) and break release starts the time.

Gr82Aviate said:
I've been trying not to respond to you but just couldn't "hold back" any longer. By your own logic, this means that the Senior guys are all bidding the 50 seater, and since we're senior we are at the top of the payscale so Jerry is paying top dollar on the smaller airplane!??

Well lets see... Jerry has stated that ASA's 700 costs are too high. And he has stated that SKYW "Airlines" CRJ50 costs are too high. He also said that ASA must give 8% on the 700 rates. We asked him why doesn't ASA operate the CRJ50 and SKYW Airlines operate the 700s. He had no anwser. Hey business is business and he's all about numbers, right.

Last edited:
DDpaysoff said:
Sounds like the broomstick is just getting lubed up. I guess I'd put my money on CHQ pilots as the next group to get approached w/ paycuts.

No paycuts coming here. I would only hope our pilot group sticks together as we should. BB is making way to much do come to us and ask us for pay cuts. He will get no love from the Pilot group.

Texx said:
Well lets see... Jerry has stated that ASA's 700 costs are too high. And he has stated that SKYW "Airlines" CRJ50 costs are too high. So when he said this and also stated that ASA must give 8% on the 700 rates, we asked him why doesn't ASA operate the CRJ50 and SKYW Airlines operate the 700s. He had no anwser. Hey business is business and he's all about numbers, right.

And you would be right!

"And let it ago about the 1 payrate. Its not as bad as you make it out to be. I have thought about the 1 payrate issue and here is my question, doesnt the majors do it? at NW, I am pretty sure they get paid the same on the A319 and the A320, yet there is a 24 seat difference. On the 757-200 and the 757-300, pay is the same but there is about a 40 seats more on the -300."

Thats comparing apples to oranges. Majors get paid a hell of a lot more than the regionals with much better work rules etc... We at the regionals are almost able to qualify for food stamps (just ask a first year F/O).

Sorry, but your analogy doesn't "fly".

Last edited:
sweptback said:
None of them do... that's why the fee-for-departure model is so popular. Also notice how none of the airlines operate turborprops (outside of a handful) for Delta? It's because their costs are covered regardless of what airplane they fly, and there's little point in flying a more fuel-efficient aircraft if you get reimbursed for the costs of operation!

The newest DCI agreement with SkyWest/ASA requires them to bear the difference in cost of fuel if it rises above a set amount. I'd assume the deals with the other DCI carriers are similar.

I hope everyone is paying attention to this. Think about this when you are bragging about how much your company is "making". Lopsided agreements in favor of the SkyWests cannot last forever while the Deltas of the world are "losing" money. Somebody, somewhere, will eventually put a stop to it and expose ht e whole RJ myth.

Glad to be Gone

Latest resources

Back