• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to buy Jetblue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta would just pay the poison pill provision to the JB pilots and use their own pilots.

keep smoking the weed guys! this is getting good...

Delta would just pay the poison pill provision to the JB pilots and use their own pilots.

You're right, and at this point in my career, I would take the pay off, sell my shares, and go find a career with some meaning.
I would love nothing more than to quit serving french fries and milk shakes to the flying public.
To do it on Delta's dime would be the icing on the cake.

Keep dreamin' guys, I mean come on. Delta is still in bankruptcy, do you honestly think they are thinking of acquiring another carrier before getting itself reorganized. I think the timing of this rumor is just a little off. Nothin' wrong with throwing out ideas on how the whole acquisition would go down though. It's pretty entertaining.

Keep dreamin' guys, I mean come on. Delta is still in bankruptcy, do you honestly think they are thinking of acquiring another carrier before getting itself reorganized. I think the timing of this rumor is just a little off. Nothin' wrong with throwing out ideas on how the whole acquisition would go down though. It's pretty entertaining.

I agree, but you have to learn that in this business, anything is possible. Everyone thought the US Airways name was dead and buried, and then look, they tried a $9 Billion hostile takeover of DL.....
Again, anything is possible in this miserable business!

The creditor committee forced Delta to elect some board members that were not against mergers or aquistions, and after BK is over, a lot of money will be raised with the offering of stock. Those creditors want to maximize the value of their stock they will be getting, and a stronger product will do just that.

ejm179;1261580 I hope this is a joke. Terminal 6 opened in 1969. The first A320 was not delivered for 19 more years. Those designers would of had some pretty good foresight.[/quote said:
ITS A FACT.
On the record numerous times from the President of JetBlue.
It was in fact a major sticking point of the negotiations. The Port Authority wanted to help finance the new JetBlue terminal and ensure it could accomodate widebody aircraft.

JetBlue specifically wanted it designed for the A320 and smaller aircraft to maximize efficiency and also to make it the proverbial "poison pill" for a takeover/acquistion. These guys know they have some of the most valuable real estate in the country... and they want to keep it. Yes, the terminal could accomodate widebodies but it would be in the hundreds of millions to do so apparently. This topic came up at the pilot meeting last week so its a hot topic as is modifying the company's ability to resist takeovers. There was a Board of Directors meeting two days before. They see what's happening out there ala Midwest and the terminal and order book with Airbus and Embraer is a commodity right now.

ITS A FACT.
On the record numerous times from the President of JetBlue.
It was in fact a major sticking point of the negotiations. The Port Authority wanted to help finance the new JetBlue terminal and ensure it could accomodate widebody aircraft.

JetBlue specifically wanted it designed for the A320 and smaller aircraft to maximize efficiency and also to make it the proverbial "poison pill" for a takeover/acquistion. These guys know they have some of the most valuable real estate in the country... and they want to keep it. Yes, the terminal could accomodate widebodies but it would be in the hundreds of millions to do so apparently. This topic came up at the pilot meeting last week so its a hot topic as is modifying the company's ability to resist takeovers. There was a Board of Directors meeting two days before. They see what's happening out there ala Midwest and the terminal and order book with Airbus and Embraer is a commodity right now.

Delta could still have their widebodies at their current terminal, and then ditch the commuter terminal and old Song gates. The Airtrain could connect domestic passengers from the new Jetblue terminal and the International connects over at the Delta terminal. That would be simple.

mental, um, massaging...

IS that what the AWA guys are saying to the USAir East guys? If you don't have the same union or merger policy, it could be open to anything. I think if it happened, it would go DOH and then subsequent bids would move people on top of the JBU pilots. But, they could possibly bid out of NYC to the other hubs and different aircraft to get away from Ozone Park and Yonkers. It would be a win win probably. This is all rumor, anyway.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Its a well known fact that merger committees reference FI posts similar to lawyers and judges referencing case law, so I will add (more) of my 2 cents. :nuts:

If this were to go down, I think DOH/YOS for equipment bidding, furlough protection, pass benefits, yearly pay step, vacation and sick accrual and all sorts of those things would be both fair and prudent to the company and all pilots involved. Naturally a fence of a year or two would be put in place to prevent a mass cross bidding. Then anyone could bid whatever they could hold, but not bump anyone out of their seat. For example, the General could bid 320 Capt, but only after the freeze/fence and only if there was an vacancy bid. This would minimize training costs to the company while providing fair and equitable opportunities to both pilot groups.

Which is exactly why it would probably never happen. ;)

By the way, taking the AirTrain between terminals is a pretty big clusterbunk. International connections are JFK's crown jewel for Delta. Trying to do that would add far more hassle to the customer than the new terminal would benefit them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back