• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to buy Jetblue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless you plan on utilizing the new terminal for all your Dash-8s and CRJs, it won't be available for anything larger than a narrowbody. The terminal is designed for Airbus 320 and at the largest 321 aircraft.[/quote

I hope this is a joke. Terminal 6 opened in 1969. The first A320 was not delivered for 19 more years. Those designers would of had some pretty good foresight.

Unless you plan on utilizing the new terminal for all your Dash-8s and CRJs, it won't be available for anything larger than a narrowbody. The terminal is designed for Airbus 320 and at the largest 321 aircraft.[/quote

I hope this is a joke. Terminal 6 opened in 1969. The first A320 was not delivered for 19 more years. Those designers would of had some pretty good foresight.

He's talking about the new Terminal 5 which is currently under construction, not Terminal 6.

It would be an asset acquisition, not a merger. The JBLU Fragmentation policy would be observed.

DOH would be fine, as long as no one was displaced from their seat. You're dreaming if you think DAL management would put up with the expense of retraining almost 1000 captains so the DAL pilots could get their jollies doing a bump and flush, let alone the FO training pipeline. That would be very expensive and you would have to loosen a lot more scope to pay for that one IMO.

I would think a multi-year company fence freeze during which all new hires went to the bottom of a yet to be combined list would make the most sense. While percentile integrations often seem fair, I don't think it would be in this case. Our top 10% shouldn't be able to bid what your top 10% is able to right now (777 CA, etc) that wouldn't be fair either.

Of course it never matters what's fair. That's why merger language/union drive is a hot button issue with us right now. We would have less protection than any other group out there unless and until our contract language changes, one way or the other. Its being worked on as we speak.

This is very wishful thinking out JB's part! I can just see Dalpa allowing a bunch of 3-7 year CA's flying Delta passengers, while there are 10 yr plus FO's at Delta mainline.

I imagine you might be able to hold your seat...until others are evenutually trained to fill it....most likely scenario would be returning the A320's to Boeing in exchange for 737NG's. Boeing could find PLENTY of market to lease the 320's at a substantial profit over what JB's is paying for leases now.

The real meat DAL wants is the terminal, and the 100 seater. I don't think the Port Authority would design a terminal, in New York for that matter, that wouldn't have the ability to flex and allow for large a/c. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Sure, maybe now they are planning on 320's, but especially after the meltdown last week they must have someone bright enough to realize they would have to lease out this terminal in the event JB dissappeared.

DAL would be smart to make a move BEFORE JB organizes and gets merger/fragmentation language in a binding agreement. That is our (JB) best chance of surviving a takeover.

Last edited:
The real meat DAL wants is the terminal, and the 100 seater.

Bingo!

If this were to happen, and that is a big if, this would be more of an asset acquisition not a merger. If the JBLU pilots have some fragmentation protection in their contract I am sure it will be honored. If not, then the most likely scenario would be a phased in transfer of JBLU aircraft along with preferential interviews for displaced JBLU pilots.

DOH would be fine, as long as no one was displaced from their seat. You're dreaming if you think DAL management would put up with the expense of retraining almost 1000 captains so the DAL pilots could get their jollies doing a bump and flush, let alone the FO training pipeline. That would be very expensive and you would have to loosen a lot more scope to pay for that one IMO.

I agree with you. In any merger scenario between two airlines, no matter the integration method I have always believed everyone should keep your current seat. It was yours before the merger, it should be yours after the merger.

I have heard the same thing as the general…. Wouldn’t that be great Delta and Alaska and then slide a NWA merger about a year and a half later. Displaced Seattle to Detroit! DOH sounds good to me.

I agree with you. In any merger scenario between two airlines, no matter the integration method I have always believed everyone should keep your current seat. It was yours before the merger, it should be yours after the merger.

IS that what the AWA guys are saying to the USAir East guys? If you don't have the same union or merger policy, it could be open to anything. I think if it happened, it would go DOH and then subsequent bids would move people on top of the JBU pilots. But, they could possibly bid out of NYC to the other hubs and different aircraft to get away from Ozone Park and Yonkers. It would be a win win probably. This is all rumor, anyway.

Bye Bye--General Lee

IS that what the AWA guys are saying to the USAir East guys? If you don't have the same union or merger policy, it could be open to anything. I think if it happened, it would go DOH and then subsequent bids would move people on top of the JBU pilots.

I didn't say what I think would happen. I said what I think should happen. Two different things.

But since you bring it up, lets say Delta had merged with USAirways. Do you think a bunch of 18 year USAirways FOs should have been able to bump 10 year Delta captains out of their seat?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back