• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Terminates Mesa Contract!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Resolution: At least 50% of the MEC members and neg committee members at the legacies should be staffed by bottom-third FO's.

Can I get a "Seconded?"

It's a good idea, but how do you "force" somebody to run for office or to volunteer their time?

Until those pilots in the bottom third realize their input is needed to protect themselves, it won't happen. Usually by the time that happens they're no longer in the bottom third!

If you look at the charts the line has remained right at 4% over the past 20 years now. While the legacies have shrunk they have been back filled by the SWA's, AAI's, JetBlue and DCI airlines in the grand scheme of things.

The flying has not gone away, we simply have negotiated & managed our way out of it. Boeing has good reports on the subject and they see no changes to their 20 year long growth line between 2.9 to 4.9%.

We haven't experienced a financial downturn in the last 75 years like the one we're currently facing. And I could make reasonable arguments as to why it's going to be worse than 75 years ago.
Greenspan (I'm no fan, since he's a big reason why the last 20 have been mild and the next 10 will be violent) stated recently that this will likely be the worst recession since WWII.

Got a week? I'll be happy to discuss the economy indepth. It's gonna get bad; I tightened my chinstrap a little tighter before stepping onto the short schoolbus.

the JO letter.

Dear Fellow Employees,

We were recently notified by Delta Air Lines that they intend to terminate their agreement with Freedom Airlines with respect to our Delta Connection ERJ-145 flying. Delta’s intended contract termination does not affect Freedom’s CRJ-900 flying. As you can imagine, we are totally surprised and extremely disappointed by Delta's actions. We strongly believe they have not acted in accordance with the terms of our contract and I can assure you all that we intend to vigorously contest this patent violation of our contract.

In the meantime we will continue to operate all our Delta Connection flights as usual. I wish to stress that it is very important that we continue to maintain the focus on our operation and on serving Delta and its customers with the same professionalism you have always exhibited. Your contribution is greatly appreciated and very much valued by us all.

We understand that you will have questions and concerns and we will keep you posted as more information becomes available. A copy of the press release we issued a short time ago provides some additional information. Please take a moment and read it carefully. Freedom’s Chief Operating Officer, Joe Serratelli and his management team will be in the Freedom crew domiciles to meet with employees this afternoon and during the day tomorrow. In addition, as always please feel free to contact me directly.

This situation is of concern to all of us in the Mesa family but throughout our 25 year history we have faced a number of very challenging situations and we have always worked together to achieve a successful outcome. I am sure that with your support we will again work through this.

Sincerely

Jonathan Ornstein
Chairman & CEO Mesa Air Group

Mesa Challenges Delta’s Efforts to Terminate Contract

PHOENIX: April 1, - Mesa Air Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:MESA) (the “Company”) today announced that on March 28, 2008, Delta Air Lines, Inc. (“Delta”) notified the Company of its intent to terminate the Delta Connection Agreement among Delta, the Company, and Mesa’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Freedom Airlines, Inc. (“Freedom”), dated as of May 3, 2005 (as thereafter amended, the “Connection Agreement”). Delta seeks to terminate the Connection Agreement as a result of Freedom’s alleged failure to maintain a specified completion rate with respect to its ERJ-145 Delta Connection flights during three months of the six-month period September 2007 through February 2008. The notice issued by Delta is accompanied by a proposed temporary agreement pursuant to which Freedom would continue to provide Delta Connection services while the parties discuss the terms of a transition agreement. This termination does not affect Freedom’s CRJ-900 Delta Connection flying. Mesa vehemently denies there is any basis for terminating the Connection Agreement and intends to vigorously defend its rights thereunder.

The alleged failure to maintain the specified completion rate in the contract is due to Delta's own request of Mesa to remove flights to benefit Delta’s overall operation and/or to accommodate Delta mainline flights. These flights, among others, have always been taken out of Freedom’s performance calculations in the past and Delta acted consistent with this practice and has paid Mesa both its’ base margin and its’ incentive margin after crediting Mesa for the Delta mandated schedule changes and /or cancellations.

We appreciate Delta’s desire to reduce capacity as they publicly announced on March 18, 2008 but to do so unilaterally and in patent violation of their contract is not acceptable. There was no indication at any time from anyone at Delta that there was a potential issue and the notice comes as a total surprise to Mesa.

”We are confident that Delta’s actions are not supported by the terms of the Connection Agreement, that we have complied with all of our obligations under that agreement, and that Delta’s effort to terminate the agreement will not be upheld in a court of law.” said Mesa Air Group Chairman and CEO, Jonathan Ornstein.

Mesa currently operates 182 aircraft with over 1,000 daily system departures to 157 cities, 42 states, the District of Columbia, Canada, the Bahamas and Mexico. Mesa operates as Delta Connection, US Airways Express and United Express under contractual agreements with Delta Air Lines, US Airways and United Airlines, respectively, and independently as Mesa Airlines and go!. In June 2006 Mesa launched inter-island Hawaiian service as go!. This operation links Honolulu to the neighbor island airports of Hilo, Kahului, Kona, Lihue, Moloka’I and Lana’I. The Company, founded by Larry and Janie Risley in New Mexico in 1982, has approximately 5,000 employees. Mesa is a member of the Regional Airline Association and Regional Aviation Partners.
This press release contains various forward-looking statements that are based on management's beliefs, as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to management. Although the Company believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable; it can give no assurance that such expectations will prove to have been correct. Such statements are subject to certain risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those anticipated, estimated, projected or expected. The Company does not intend to update these forward-looking statements prior to its next filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

You think this will happen, and clearly want it to happen.

I never said I wanted it to happen, but I believe it will and as you pointed out I will not be the one making the decision. This career is a minefield of mergers, consolidations and bankruptcy's, pick your path carefully. I have a friend who just finished ground school at Aloha, BOOM!

But mental "mathercise" aside, you have admitted that it is not your decision. It is up to the mainline pilot groups, not you. The same goes for the shiny large RJ's you currently fly. Your company's ability to continue to outsource them depends on two crucial things: mainline pilots continuing to allow that outsourcing, and your company's ability to always be the cheapest RFP of the year (month, week, etc).

Mathersize, it's called economics and I have a degree in it.

"Mainline pilots" are not a homogenous group each will act according to their percieved self interest. Senior pilots will get what they want at the expence of the junior pilots. Remember age 60, how'd that happen?

As for my company being the cheapest RFP. Sound management, a quality product at a reasonable rate, long term contracts and $3/4 billion in the bank. Some small jet providers aren't going to make it, I'm betting Skywest will.

Mainline will never be completely outsourced, no one is going to vote themselves out of a job, but look to the UAW or the United Steel Workers if you want a prolog.

... the airlines use supercomputers to build their schedules.

JB uses a Casio Data Bank watch that IronCityBlue wore to the prom. He loaned it to them because their abacus was on the fritz.

JB uses a Casio Data Bank watch that IronCityBlue wore to the prom. He loaned it to them because their abacus was on the fritz.

I don't care who you are. That's funny stuff.

Thanks Chef; that was great.

Jon, you're going on the same premise as Fins; you're assuming that airlines are going to try to preserve frequency. I don't think that they will. I think that they're going to upguage and decrease frequency.
Going forward, airlines are going to be concerned about preserving capital. It's very inexpensive to cancel express partner contracts; all they need to find is a portion of the contract that the express partner is in violation. It's a very quick way for a major to cut expenses and reduce ASMs. The reduction in ASMs should allow the airlines to charge higher prices for tickets.
ASM reductions are starting to happen at many different airlines; we're just slow to recognize the change.

Yeah and now the equal sign and the number 4 don't work anymore, but Rivoli lets me copy off his sheet so they won't figure out I'm not that smart for a while longer.

I never said I wanted it to happen, but I believe it will and as you pointed out I will not be the one making the decision. This career is a minefield of mergers, consolidations and bankruptcy's, pick your path carefully. I have a friend who just finished ground school at Aloha, BOOM!

Mathersize, it's called economics and I have a degree in it.

"Mainline pilots" are not a homogenous group each will act according to their percieved self interest. Senior pilots will get what they want at the expence of the junior pilots. Remember age 60, how'd that happen?

As for my company being the cheapest RFP. Sound management, a quality product at a reasonable rate, long term contracts and $3/4 billion in the bank. Some small jet providers aren't going to make it, I'm betting Skywest will.

Mainline will never be completely outsourced, no one is going to vote themselves out of a job, but look to the UAW or the United Steel Workers if you want a prolog.

Congratulations on your degree in economics. Maybe one day you can join the leigions of airline managers and CEO's who have yet to make a profit for this industry. Parading your degree around as a credential for your opinion is pretty funny. You can get thousands of people with the same degree who will have wildly varying opinions on the same subject.

Are "mainline" pilots a homogenous group"? Of course not, but you still can't take trends of previous outsourcing growth and automatically predict those trends will continue. Will 50% plus 1 vote to give you all the narrowbodies in 10 years? Maybe, maybe not. You predict yes, I predict no. But in either case, it is 100% their decision to make, and you can point to just as much evidence that the trend is stopping as you can it is increasing.

I'm also betting SkyWest will make it as an SJP ACMI outsource provider for quite a while. I also predict they will go Indy Air eventually and bleed Delta and United many billions of dollars one day with the profits they have given your management in their shortsighted greed (all with degrees in economics by the way, just like Helicopter Bernake). And if you stay there, you WILL see mainline equipment one day as well, guaranteed. I just don't think you will see it under the Delta or United brand. And you will do it for considerably less than any legacy or LCC does it for, guaranteed. And you will brag about it too. And that's OK.

I'm glad you at least conceed that no one is going to vote themselves out of a job to a certain point. We just disagree where that point is. Legacy airlines are still 2/3 to 3/4 narrowbody aircraft. So to actually think all that will go your way just to pad their international pay scales is some bizzare economics indeed from a pilot perspective, and you are predicting those mainline pilots will see it wise to gut the vast majority of their flying in the near to medium term future. I disagree. But IF that happens, you deserve to compete to be the lowest bidder and do all Delta and United's 737 and A-320 flying. Maybe you can even deal Jerry another ace to make sure other ACMI outsource lift providers are underbid for the work, and you rule the world for all time with fast upgrades and hot FA's.

Seriouslly though, you guys put something in the water over there or what?

Upgauging and decreasing frequency is a recipe for disaster. It can only work where the airline has an absolute monopoly, and there aren't many of those.

If you exchange 4 RJs for 2 MD80s two things will happen: a)the competition will fill in the gap, and take the "gravy", and b) The 80s will be operating with a lot of empty seats.

Upgauging and decreasing frequency is a recipe for disaster. It can only work where the airline has an absolute monopoly, and there aren't many of those.

If you exchange 4 RJs for 2 MD80s two things will happen: a)the competition will fill in the gap, and take the "gravy", and b) The 80s will be operating with a lot of empty seats.

I see where you're going with that, but I'm not so sure that it would hurt as much as you suggest. Another airline would need the ability to fill that gap, and I'm not so sure that any airline has a lot of ability to expand (save Southwest) in this environment.
In the last several years, each airline has been playing a game of chicken in terms of frequency, in spite of an increased cost. With the rapidly weakening balance sheets, I think that we're looking at an industrywide effort to 'shrink to profitability.'
I gotta believe that Delta's planning on doing some ASM reductions after cancelling Mesa's 50 seater contract. In order to do that, they're going to have to upguage and decrease frequency.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back