Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta talks to NWA for merger alternative.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The word I have heard for the last few months is a NWA managment with the Delta name. Don't shoot the messenger.

I've got a novel idea...how about Delta come out of BK and remain a standalone carrier.

NuGuy ...True however changing a name does not mean a corporation has changed. These people although cruel are not stupid.

That may or may not be. NWAs Pacific routes depend on NWA being the surviving "corporate entity".

Nu

Didn't United buy Pan Am's NRT hub and slots? They didn't have to name it "United Pan Am..." I think they can change names if they want to.

Bye Bye--General Lee

dtfre....Nice but the Bankers/wolf's are at the door

Northwest needs this deal just as much as we do. If USAir actually got this going, the others would supposedly be allowed to merge.(The DOJ would have to if they allowed this mess to merge) UA and CAL get together, and possibly AA and NW. If AA and NW get together, there will be 3 midwest hubs---MSP, ORD, and DTW. One will probably have to go, and Southwest will be chomping at the bit. I bet it won't be ORD, so take your pick. Your headquarters would also go to DFW. So, in reality, we need each other. IF we merge, then most of the hubs stay put (CVG and MEM would become focus cities probably), we keep our East Coast Shuttle and pound USAir with it, and we replace your DC9s with E190s or 737-700s that Boeing would love to provide us with, along with a combined 787 order. We would become the biggest alternative to a combined CAL/UAL, which would be huge. AA would become a distant 3rd in size, and USAir would be puny. Parker would be looking around for another merger partner, and might do it with Spirit or USA3000. (He'll have the money from the banks to buy BOTH maybe!!!!--$10.3 Billion)

Bye Bye--General Lee

So let me get this straight, you'd rather merge with Northwest than US Airways. Boy, you are are one dumb, uninformed, trailer trash, clueless mother f@er.

So let me get this straight, you'd rather merge with Northwest than US Airways. Boy, you are are one dumb, uninformed, trailer trash, clueless mother f@er.

Huh? You bet I would. There is less overlap, which means less job loss. The hubs would remain, and we would be able to compete with a UAL/CAL combo. You have no clue what you are talking about. And, nobody wants to get mixed up with those senior USAir pilots. You should know that.

Trailer trash? Come on now. We look sharper than you do.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Delta Air Lines is once again up for grabs.

US Airways chief executive officer Doug Parker fired a second blast Wednesday by upping his $8.5 billion offer by 20%, offering Delta creditors $10.2 billion in cash and stock.

But at market close on Wednesday, Northwest and United (nasdaq: UAUA - news - people ) emerged as possible buyers for the bankrupt airline.

Both Northwest and United Airlines have both been in talks with Delta, reports Calyon analyst Ray Neidl who put out a note on the development late Wednesday. “These meetings have helped Delta’s creditors come to see a combination with Northwest as a realistic alternative to US Airways Group’s hostile takeover bid,” wrote the analyst

Last edited:
Didn't United buy Pan Am's NRT hub and slots? They didn't have to name it "United Pan Am..." I think they can change names if they want to.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Entirely different set of rules for NWA's Pacific routes, and you know it GL.

To refresh everyone's memory, NWAs NRT routes, slots and 5th freedom rights are granted directly to NWA from the Japanese Government. Part of the rights are that they are NON-Transferable, and that the ONLY corporate entity that can operate said routes is NWA.

The Japanese government has stated MANY times that should NWA go away for some reason (liqudation, purchase, etc), that the routes, rights and slots revert to the Japanese governement, and WILL NOT be re-issued.

Think about it...NWAs current rights out of NRT is like ANA comming into ORD and flying international (and some domestic flights) with US Passengers...cabotage, in other words.

So while they MIGHT think about switching names...doubtfull since NWA is somewhat of a "household name" in Asia, it will be planes and pilots on the NWA operating certificate doing the flying.

Nu

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back