Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta talks to NWA for merger alternative.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Entirely different set of rules for NWA's Pacific routes, and you know it GL.

To refresh everyone's memory, NWAs NRT routes, slots and 5th freedom rights are granted directly to NWA from the Japanese Government. Part of the rights are that they are NON-Transferable, and that the ONLY corporate entity that can operate said routes is NWA.

The Japanese government has stated MANY times that should NWA go away for some reason (liqudation, purchase, etc), that the routes, rights and slots revert to the Japanese governement, and WILL NOT be re-issued.

Think about it...NWAs current rights out of NRT is like ANA comming into ORD and flying international (and some domestic flights) with US Passengers...cabotage, in other words.

So while they MIGHT think about switching names...doubtfull since NWA is somewhat of a "household name" in Asia, it will be planes and pilots on the NWA operating certificate doing the flying.

Nu

What Japanese domestic flights does NW do out of NRT again? None. They go to Guam, Saipan, Honolulu, Pusan, Guangzhou, Seoul, Bangkok, Taipei, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Manilla, Hong Kong, and the Continental US. From Nagoya and Kansai they do some Guam, some Seoul, etc, but no domestic Japan.

Can you point out the domestic flights within Japan again.

And as far as the name goes, it will all be worked out by the lawyers. We will even serve Sushi!

Bye Bye--General Lee

"Oberstar, the D from MN, also could be persuaded on this one, since NW is based in his district. What they say could sway Oberstar. That is one thing about AA taking over NW----Oberstar might not want his NW headquarters moved from his district to DFW, and a tie up with AA could cause one of those three hubs (MSP--ORD--DTW) to potentially close." GL

I agree with you. I believe an AA/NWA merger would trigger the demise of the MSP HQ and possible hub (given ORD, DTW).

NWA HQ is in Rep. John Kline's District (South Metro, 2nd); Oberstar has the Northland.

Last edited:
What Japanese domestic flights does NW do out of NRT again? None. They go to Guam, Saipan, Honolulu, Pusan, Guangzhou, Seoul, Bangkok, Taipei, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Manilla, Hong Kong, and the Continental US. From Nagoya and Kansai they do some Guam, some Seoul, etc, but no domestic Japan.

Can you point out the domestic flights within Japan again.

And as far as the name goes, it will all be worked out by the lawyers. We will even serve Sushi!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hi Gen,

Just a quick note on NWA in Japan. Did you know that NWA set up Japans , Japan Air Lines after WW2, and that is the difference between the PAA and NWA Japan deals..

Sorry, General but I am sure the new airline would be named Northwest.

Giving up any rights in Japan would be a deal breaker because those are nonnegotiable. Even if NWA does not currently fly any domestic Japanese routes having the option to do so is priceless. Delta planes, people and routes are of inferior value compared to NWA Japan and Asian assests. Delta system can be restarted by anyone, NWA's cannot.

So let me get this straight, you'd rather merge with Northwest than US Airways. Boy, you are are one dumb, uninformed, trailer trash, clueless mother f@er.

Thanks for that one. I just blew coffeee out of my nose and all over my laptop. Classic!

Sorry, General but I am sure the new airline would be named Northwest.

Giving up any rights in Japan would be a deal breaker because those are nonnegotiable. Even if NWA does not currently fly any domestic Japanese routes having the option to do so is priceless. Delta planes, people and routes are of inferior value compared to NWA Japan and Asian assests. Delta system can be restarted by anyone, NWA's cannot.

That may be true, indeed. But, I would rather have a NWA merge than a USAir takeover. And in 15 years, I would love to fly the 744!

Bye Bye--General Lee

The fifth freedom rights keep the cost of air travel in that region relatively low. If NWA were to dissolve the rights go immediately back to japan. This would open up price gouging for American passengers in that region.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back