Delta/Skywest cuts in SLC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not sure about this one....

Shuttle couldn't operate the E-jets for Frontier out of DEN because of UALs competition clause - that's why Republic do it. Not, as many think, because Shuttle is scoped by # of seats......

I think SkyWest could certainly operate both out of LAX, but UAL might have something to say about it.

UAL did have something to say about it...its true. They released SkyWest when the made that announcement to replace 20ish EMB120's with the CRJ over the next few year.

It seems as though they will move the DL 900's from ATL to LAX with a base in the next few years. Isn't express-jets contract for 2 years?

Delta had SLC on the chopping blocks when it closed DFW. The only reason it was not closed was that Delta needed money from Skywest for the ASA sale so that Delta would have the money to pay lawyers and post deposits with credit card companies, so that it could enter bankruptcy and exit with enough cash.

The merge may be announced this week. Whenever that happens, if you are based in SLC, be prepared to relocate to LAX. It's coming!

Or apply at Southwest, as SLC may be the next Southwest crew base.

Last edited:
Delta had SLC on the chopping blocks when it closed DFW. The only reason it was not closed was that Delta needed money from Skywest for the ASA sale so that Delta would have the money to pay lawyers and post deposits with credit card companies, so that it could enter bankruptcy and exit with enough cash.

The merge may be announced this week. Whenever that happens, if you are based in SLC, be prepared to relocate to LAX. It's coming!

Or apply at Southwest, as SLC may be the next Southwest crew base.

Won't happen, although I wouldnt mind. LAX would be a disaster

Funny...merger isn't even done and people are ready to close SLC and move to LAX. Tell ya what, IF the merger even happens, then start the talk...I cannot believe this stuff is even being discussed...I heard SLC will be closed and the hub moved to EKO. That was from the horses mouth

I heard that Delta has had it with SkyWest and is going to work out a way to get out of the "contract" during the merger. They then plan on moving XJT in to do all the 50-seat flying on a pro-rate basis and SkyWest will keep the 700 flying. The 900 flying will go to ATL to be done by Freedom and Pinnacle and all 900 flying in SLC is going to be replaced by more MD90's coming in the next few months. I also remember an article that quoted the mayor of SLC stating that Delta had approached them about incentives for growth after a merger with NWA. I think we'll see London and Rome added to the Paris flights this summer.

Last edited:
Funny...merger isn't even done and people are ready to close SLC and move to LAX. Tell ya what, IF the merger even happens, then start the talk...I cannot believe this stuff is even being discussed...I heard SLC will be closed and the hub moved to EKO. That was from the horses mouth

I heard from a ramper who's dating a baggage handler who heard it from her sister who's friend is JA's maid that over heard him say new base in LAS.

I heard that Delta has had it with SkyWest and is going to work out a way to get out of the "contract" during the merger. They then plan on moving XJT in to do all the 50-seat flying on a pro-rate basis and SkyWest will keep the 700 flying. The 900 flying will go to ATL to be done by Freedom and Pinnacle and all 900 flying in SLC is going to be replaced by more MD90's coming in the next few months. I also remember an article that quoted the mayor of SLC stating that Delta had approached them about incentives for growth after a merger with NWA. I think we'll see London and Rome added to the Paris flights this summer.

You must be an xjt FO. This is all I have been hearing from XJT guys since they came to SLC. If Skywest felt that threatened they would just buy them out.

You must be an xjt FO. This is all I have been hearing from XJT guys since they came to SLC. If Skywest felt that threatened they would just buy them out.

Not at XJT anymore. I would have agreed with you on the buyout about 6 years ago, but I'm not sure SkyWest wants to purchase an airline that has 274 50-seat jets at this point in time. Not much upside to a large 50 seat only operation. XJT has been forced into a position to do pro-rate flying which is a much better deal for Delta so the flying will keep coming XJT's way.

Latest resources

Back