Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
Hey, Delta north -9 pilot trying to figure out the new reserve rules and looking for assistance.

Today was is my first short call period ever. This is my question, How much time do I have to acknowledge a short call assignment?

Just a little bit ago i was called and let it roll to voicemail like i usually do, Logged into I-crew 9 minutes later to self-notify and see what flying they had for me. When I saw it was a report 1+45 from that moment I called scheduling to see if they would waive check-in and let me go right to the gate, thats when he said "Oh you've been removed from the trip and placed on personal drop sick because you didn't answer the phone." I said I had self-notified on i-crew and wanted trip details, he said I was expected to be immediately available while on short call and because of the ultra-short nature of this assignment he had to move on to the next pilot on his list. I told him that a 9 minute response was totally reasonable and I wanted the trip or to be put back on duty, his choice... I had to talk to a supervisor to get re-instated to short call for the remainder of today.

What does one do if they take a shower, go to the mail box, or something similar? are we really expected to be at their total beck and call sitting by the phone while on reserve?

I know its the past but at NWA there was a 15 minute response window written in the contract. At Delta all I can see in the contract is 23.5.9b just says "a pilot must be promptly available for contact..." Is there a numeral equivalent to "promptly available" here or not???

I'm just having flashbacks to reserve at the regionals

Hey, Delta north -9 pilot trying to figure out the new reserve rules and looking for assistance.

Today was is my first short call period ever. This is my question, How much time do I have to acknowledge a short call assignment?

Just a little bit ago i was called and let it roll to voicemail like i usually do, Logged into I-crew 9 minutes later to self-notify and see what flying they had for me. When I saw it was a report 1+45 from that moment I called scheduling to see if they would waive check-in and let me go right to the gate, thats when he said "Oh you've been removed from the trip and placed on personal drop sick because you didn't answer the phone." I said I had self-notified on i-crew and wanted trip details, he said I was expected to be immediately available while on short call and because of the ultra-short nature of this assignment he had to move on to the next pilot on his list. I told him that a 9 minute response was totally reasonable and I wanted the trip or to be put back on duty, his choice... I had to talk to a supervisor to get re-instated to short call for the remainder of today.

What does one do if they take a shower, go to the mail box, or something similar? are we really expected to be at their total beck and call sitting by the phone while on reserve?

I know its the past but at NWA there was a 15 minute response window written in the contract. At Delta all I can see in the contract is 23.5.9b just says "a pilot must be promptly available for contact..." Is there a numeral equivalent to "promptly available" here or not???

I'm just having flashbacks to reserve at the regionals

If you're telling the truth. that story is messed up.

This doesn't seem right??? If you are on short call I guess it would be better to start answering the phone, but other than that minor item you should have been given the 9 minutes? JP

no man its all true, no flame here.

I'm still new to the i-crew and it takes me a long time to find what I'm looking for when i log on. I was sleeping at 7am when they called, so it took a few minutes (9 to be exact) to get out of bed, fire up the computer, and log into i-crew. The first page under under the "my schedule" tab is the notifications. I had a rotation in there and notified by putting in my password. I'm pretty sure i did everything correctly.

it was when I saw the report time I realized i needed to get my butt in gear and to the airport that i called scheduling to see if they would waive me to the gate or pay for airport parking (avoid 15-20 minute employee shuttle bus ride) This was a common unwritten courtesy extended by former NWA schedulers.

Point is, I notified myself and if i would not have called scheduling to ask those questions, I would have suited up and been on the way to the airport.

I'm new to this and want know what my rights are.

Is there a numerical time limit to responding to a trip assignment here at the new Delta?

no man its all true, no flame here.

I'm still new to the i-crew and it takes me a long time to find what I'm looking for when i log on. I was sleeping at 7am when they called, so it took a few minutes (9 to be exact) to get out of bed, fire up the computer, and log into i-crew. The first page under under the "my schedule" tab is the notifications. I had a rotation in there and notified by putting in my password. I'm pretty sure i did everything correctly.

it was when I saw the report time I realized i needed to get my butt in gear and to the airport that i called scheduling to see if they would waive me to the gate or pay for airport parking (avoid 15-20 minute employee shuttle bus ride) This was a common unwritten courtesy extended by former NWA schedulers.

Point is, I notified myself and if i would not have called scheduling to ask those questions, I would have suited up and been on the way to the airport.

I'm new to this and want know what my rights are.

Is there a numerical time limit to responding to a trip assignment here at the new Delta?

I would post this in the Scheduling section on the ALPA board. The Scheduling committee reps seem to have been pretty responsive to people's scheduling issues in the past.

Sometimes schedulers will go into panic mode when handling a short call and bypass until he gets to the first pilot who answers the phone. The best thing to do if you're on reserve (and probation) is to answer the phone the first time.

Just curious why you didn't answer your phone if you wanted to fly anyways. If your on short call there is no advantage to logging in to see the trip. If it was a white slip, green slip, or long call with a yellow slip in and you are debating whether or not you want to go then I would do the same thing you did. On short call I just answer the phone. It really is no benefit to see the trip before you talk to scheduling.

The best thing to do if you're on reserve (and probation) is to answer the phone the first time.

Give me a break...have some sack...never pick up the phone if it is crew scheduling or no caller id, call back at the time limit in the contract.

As for "promptly available", file a grievance ask for a definition as remedy. One could argue promptly available until you are blue in the face. Sometimes my crappy AT&T cell service doesn't tell me I have a voice mail for several minutes after I get a call.

..."Oh you've been removed from the trip and placed on personal drop sick because you didn't answer the phone." ...

Sometimes schedulers will go into panic mode when handling a short call and bypass until he gets to the first pilot who answers the phone. The best thing to do if you're on reserve (and probation) is to answer the phone the first time.

SURELY you guys have some kind of detailed rules (in the form of a SPECIFIC TIME LIMIT) in your contract?
You have got to be kidding me that you have to worry about your jobs (or getting a note in your files) at the whims of a SCHEDULER????
Wow.

Latest resources

Back