• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta short call rsv question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sometimes schedulers will go into panic mode when handling a short call and bypass until he gets to the first pilot who answers the phone. The best thing to do if you're on reserve (and probation) is to answer the phone the first time.

I'm far from being on probation. Sometimes I'll answer the phone on the first ring, sometimes not. As I see it this is my prerogative and nothing in the contract says I have to.

Like I said, this morning I was asleep when the phone rang. It was rolling to VM about the same time I realized that it was scheduling calling. There is no way I would answer in a groggy state such as that. I would have to log into icrew anyway to see what my trip was.

I still maintain that I did everything by the book in this instance.

Question for Delta guys... Is this par for the course when dealing with Short Call reserve here? I just want to know what to expect my life to be like as time goes on.

I like the grievance for "definition" remedy idea. I will be in contact with a union rep.

I'm far from being on probation. Sometimes I'll answer the phone on the first ring, sometimes not. As I see it this is my prerogative and nothing in the contract says I have to.

Like I said, this morning I was asleep when the phone rang. It was rolling to VM about the same time I realized that it was scheduling calling. There is no way I would answer in a groggy state such as that. I would have to log into icrew anyway to see what my trip was.

I still maintain that I did everything by the book in this instance.

Question for Delta guys... Is this par for the course when dealing with Short Call reserve here? I just want to know what to expect my life to be like as time goes on.

I like the grievance for "definition" remedy idea. I will be in contact with a union rep.

I don't think you did anything wrong here. Individual scheduler sometimes get their panty all twisted when they can't locate a pilot 1st try. One time i told them i'll commute in for SC, and they called me 5 min. past my original SC time, and then again 15 min. later, of course, both calls went straight to v-mail, and when i landed and turned on the phone (30 min. before my 2 hour commute window expired), the message sounded like i was in some sort of big trouble. Anyway, i'd post this question in DALPA board, and Geordi or someone else will help talk to the individual scheduler that took you off the trip and he'll straighten it out, and hope it doesn't happen again.

It's a steep learning curve for you folks living up north, but please understand people down south don't understand words like "snow", "ice", or "slippery road", when you try to explain why it'll take 2 hours to drive 10 miles to work.

Fly safe.

It's widely rumored that 60% or so of the schedulers are new and learning as they go. You did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary, 9 minutes sounds VERY reasonable as promptly available. I refuse to answer the phone when on the crapper or in the shower, a little common sense on their part goes a long way. Promptly available is just as widely subject to interpretation as the "2 hour" reporting time....there is NO required reporting time in the contract! If it takes you 3 hours to navigate the bus/cab/train system in NYC to get from JFK to EWR then that's what it takes...just tell them upfront and they then know what they have to work with, if it's not good enough they will move on to the next guy in line....same goes for driving 30 miles in the wx in MSP or DTW....or in ATL traffic when it comes to a screeching halt because someone is changing a tire on the OTHER side of the freeway....we cannot control how long it takes us to get to the airport, we can only do our best to get there asap..

When I saw it was a report 1+45 from that moment I called scheduling to see if they would waive check-in and let me go right to the gate, thats when he said "Oh you've been removed from the trip and placed on personal drop sick because you didn't answer the phone." I said I had self-notified on i-crew

...What does one do if they take a shower, go to the mail box, or something similar? are we really expected to be at their total beck and call sitting by the phone while on reserve?

I know its the past but at NWA there was a 15 minute response window written in the contract. At Delta all I can see in the contract is 23.5.9b just says "a pilot must be promptly available for contact..." Is there a numeral equivalent to "promptly available" here or not???

It's widely rumored that 60% or so of the schedulers are new and learning as they go.

If that is true, shouldn't they have had an orientation fresh in their heads where your mgt has already told them that a scheduler should follow a certain protocol, so not to create a morale which would put you guys on level with the merger of USAir/AWA???

They should know how to help continue on the right path...

I have done the same thing and looked at the trip in opentime before just taking the trip. I have learned that it really doesn't make a difference looking at the computer first. The rotation isn't going to change, you aren't going to bypass it, once you have it, it's yours. Now I answer when they call and check the schedule after they call.

The one time I truely missed a call, they ended up calling me back in 15 minutes.

VOR, there is no set time in the contract. It is to be a reasonable amount of time. General rule for the NYers is 3 hrs. I have had guys take 3:15 that I've flown with.... the crew trackers are usually cool with whatever time as long as you keep them informed.

I have only been at Delta a couple of years but have not run into the prob you had. Sounds like his Panties were in a wad but you got it worked out. Nine minutes is fine. But for those spouting "I want to know the rules" be careful what you wish for. I have worked with the Delta schedulers many many times over the last couple years and for the most part they are great. We don't want a hard time IE "2 hour show" "15 minutes to answer the phone"....the professionally followed general rule of "about" two hours to get there is GREAT! You get stuck in bad wx or traffic and it takes 2 and 1/2 no prob. If it takes a little or little less no big deal, no person putting a bad boy letter in your file that you checked in on the computer at ops at 2:01 Having hard rules sounds great but it can cut both both ways. Careful what you wish for.

I have only been at Delta a couple of years but have not run into the prob you had. Sounds like his Panties were in a wad but you got it worked out. Nine minutes is fine. But for those spouting "I want to know the rules" be careful what you wish for. I have worked with the Delta schedulers many many times over the last couple years and for the most part they are great. We don't want a hard time IE "2 hour show" "15 minutes to answer the phone"....the professionally followed general rule of "about" two hours to get there is GREAT! You get stuck in bad wx or traffic and it takes 2 and 1/2 no prob. If it takes a little or little less no big deal, no person putting a bad boy letter in your file that you checked in on the computer at ops at 2:01 Having hard rules sounds great but it can cut both both ways. Careful what you wish for.

Um, having NO specifics hurts WAY more than it could ever HELP.
Sounds like you guys could have someone call "promptly" 5 mins!

Sorry you got a weirdo on this one. Just takes them a little while to understand that nothing makes my wheels stop spinning and digs my heels in faster than a scheduler with an attitude.

The benefit of not having a specified callout time is that they cant hold your feet to the fire over the whole "2 hours" understanding. If it takes you 3..it takes you 3. YOu just have to be readily available, and the chief pilots understand that. If they give you crap in a bad way, just go to the CP and they will set them straight.

It's a gentleman's operation overall though.

My personal procedure (Ive been on my reserve my entire 3 years here except for a few months here and there)- when I'm on SC, I always let it go to voicemail unless I happen to answer. Then I just go straight to the VRU and acknowledge the trip. Then... I get there when I get there.

I usually have my uniform ironed so I'm not pushing to hit the "understood" 2 hours-ish mark. If it's going to be longer due to traffic or some other reason, I'll let them know. If they give you crap, boo hoo! Not your problem!

The amount of "tight" callouts that I've gotten are no more than about 10% of the callouts on SC.

Latest resources

Back